As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Posted (edited)

All joking aside, we're going to wake up to this tomorrow. 

Not very funny. 

I went out earlier and everything felt very strange. It was very quiet. 

Edited by noelh

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

Sounds like as Putin! 😁😁Many in the former USSR accuse him of being a Western agent ... now we know from which particular Western country he is!

😉😁

Russian vodka is light version v.s. good handmade moonshine.

In the late 80s, when gorbachev

was anti-alcoholic campaign , my grandmother made moonshine in the village. In order to make it look like vodka, she had to dilute it almost twice, because its strength was 80% alc.!

😎

B.R.

Serge

Back in the early 70's, we had regular calls of Russian coastal shipping. 'Baltiskiy' class. I got to know the Officers on a few of them, and we got through many a bottle of Vodka.  I'm sure most of it was 80% proof. The joke was it was the stuff they drained from the ship's compasses.

Posted (edited)

Question, though. All joking aside. The United Kingdom hasn't closed schools or shops or mass gatherings. 

What do they know? 

Do they have a clue? Just asking. 

It's way past the point where people need to be told the truth. 

Edited by noelh

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

How easy would policing self isolation be if we were all microchipped? From today, everyone that arrives in Australia and New Zealand must self isolate themselves for 14 days. Anyone thought about the poor cabbie, Uber driver of family member that has to drive these ‘infected’ soles to their hotels or home? How does this all really work? If your basic plonker can’t even read a road sign, how do you expect them to stay at home for two weeks solid?? 

This will just crush an already broken tourism industry IMO

Cheers.. Dave 

Your are absolutely right Dave. As you know New Zealand has taken the same action.  Anyone that comes to NZ has to self isolate  for 14 days. I got a call from one of my contractors this morning letting me know he is stuck down the south Island be because he came into NZ from Australia last night. They won't even let him on an internal flight. They are also saying people that land in the country shouldn't get an taxi from the airport to their hotel or home. 

The other effect of this is projects are being canceled because builders can't get steel which comes from China.  I had a project canceled this morning, which fortunately I finished my side of it and will get paid. 

I feel fortunate because last Monday my pension started, at least I will have a bit of money coming in. Up here on the farm we don't see many people, as result we are automatically self isolated already. Just to cover our backs I went out this morning and bought enough tinned food to see us though a few weeks.

I must say in my life time I have never seen the world react as quickly like we are seeing.  Yet here in New Zealand we are generally safe for the moment.  Only ten cases and almost all overseas people. Now we have put up a big fence we should be reasonably safe. I suppose  it is one of the advantages of being stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere. 

The only problem is, we are not shutting out the Pacific islands, which gives the virus a big back door to break into NZ. Sometimes the NZ Government does a great job then does something stupid like that and puts us at risk. 

Well that's the letter from New Zealand.

Now back to my Stuka.

Not sure about other areas, but this past Friday and Saturday, people were in an all-out panic. A local Costco apparently had a 1/4 mile line to get in the door on Friday. When my sweetie and I drove by Saturday morning, the line was there yet again. I made the mistake of going to a grocery store Saturday morning to get some potatoes for today's meal; the checkout lines stretched to the back of the store. Almost all those waiting on line had a basket chock full of stuff--I didn't bother with a 5lb bag of potatoes.

The panic appeared to be over by this afternoon; another local market had just the normal crowds. While some aisles had empty shelves, I was able to get the jar of pickles and fresh rolls I went there for.

11 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Not sure about other areas... 

The ‘Social Media’ food panic ferrels have raided our stores as well. Considering that we only shop for two days worth of meals in advance, I think I might be losing some weight shortly! At least one of the larger grocery chains has restricted the first hours trading for the elderly so then they don’t get trampled on by the mass of no brainers soon to follow. 

This is probably a good opportunity to tell my kids about my Mum’s upbringing at the height of the battle for Malta. Let’s just say, food was just a little bit rationed for months on end! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave don't give those in charge ideas about rationing...... I must admit to going shopping today to get supplies incase things get worse. I figure seen as they are in tins they they won't go to waste. As we are on a farm it is better for us older guys to take a few precautions. Also ordered some masks from the chemist. If they are not needed I can use them when sanding.

Having battened down the hatches already (I don’t know what, if any, my increased risk as a kidney donor is as the Chinese word for living organ donor is largely interchangeable with the word for political prisoner) I just want to note that the humour, shared joy and knowledge in this site will be invaluable. Thanks everyone for making isolation not just bearable but stopping it from feeling like isolation

10 hours ago, Aardvark said:

You may maked 

work model

of moonshine machine !

"Make" a moonshine machine?

Here, we can go to the shop down the road and buy one all ready to go. With all the accessories like filters, flavourings, etc, etc!

With lots of added advice from the shop staff on how to get the best results.

6 hours ago, noelh said:

Question, though. All joking aside. The United Kingdom hasn't closed schools or shops or mass gatherings. 

What do they know? 

Do they have a clue? Just asking. 

Forum rules decree I must avoid stepping into THAT bottomless pit.

What you need to consider is who makes up the bulk of the NHS workforce, and how their availability would be impacted by closing the schools.....

hi ALL ,

☝️ OUR TIME HAS COME !

Time to indoctorate the "Lost " durin' the World Wide Self Isolation period .

I am sure  the "Green Box " Builders amongst us (A.F.V ) will lead the way.

cheery "Modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G.3156

7 hours ago, noelh said:

The United Kingdom hasn't closed schools

As someone mentioned earlier, if the schools were closed grandparents would be expected to look after the kids, and who is the most at risk group?

Kids are a very low risk of being harmed by the virus, but they would spread it like wildfire to those that are most likely to die.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, Admiral Puff said:

But we have cancelled the Grand Prix - probably not as important as the barbie, but still ...

And earlier today, ANZAC day has been cancelled for this year's dawn service in Queensland.

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

What you need to consider is who makes up the bulk of the NHS workforce, and how their availability would be impacted by closing the schools.....

Exactly.  The NHS nursing population is 90% female, many of them single mums.  The NHS doctor population is 60% female, radiography 85% female...

And its not just the impact on the NHS, the economy is already grinding to a halt in many industries, we don't need even more people having to take time off work to look after kids.  Its the easter holidays in 2 weeks, I know schools in my area are putting plans together to close a few days early.  After Easter its exam season, my son will be taking his GCSE's and the head has already communicated that they will prioritise keeping the school open if only for the GCSE + A-level years, unless the govt orders them to shut.

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 12:32 AM, noelh said:

What do they know? 

It is maybe better to stick to joking about it but avoiding the potential political and economic implications a sociological argument could (very) simply be put as follows.

The UK works on the fiction that we are still in general quite a compliant and orderly society , rather than putting on yellow vests to riot we use them to get people to queue , pragmatic governance involves not testing that fiction.   

People talk about the 'Blitz Spirit' and are doing so again in relation to present health issues but more recent historians seriously question the actual realities of public attitudes and responses of that time and sociologists question if what societal restraints did exist back then still exist in a far different Britain.

School closures and other restrictions may well have some value but in the UK context I suspect the government realise that some elements will noisily reject such moves in the first place and that this discontent will grow rendering controls unsustainable over what some projections say could become an extended shutdown especially as the more stringent European controls inevitably begin to crack among populations who traditionally take their grievances to the streets.

And my local Tesco is out of Sensitive Toothpaste . . . . .  is there no end to this madness !!!!

EDIT - Toothpaste was in stock today so I cleared the shelf . . . . . there only was the one tube.

Edited by Des
I threw an 'r' away

From the silver lining department ... I've seen some preliminary data from Wuhan and Northern Italy that suggests the Coronavirus deaths/illness may have been partially or even totally offset by dramatic drops in air pollution due to self-isolation etc. I would guess RTAs are way down as well. Typically, Italy suffers around 10 road fatalities a day when things are normal.

Cheers

Colin

Do you want to know what being in isolation is like ? Just ask me !

My area has been in almost complete isolation for a week and partial isolation for another one. We've had bars and restaurants closed for 2 weeks now and many companies have started having their employees work from home 3 weeks ago.

Personally I've worked from home for many years now, my routine was always do all the project work from home and then head to sites for surveys and installation work, so staying at home has not changed my life too much. Different story of course with the evenings and weekends... as I spent the days on my own I always had a good social life over the non-working hours, something that now is totally forbidden. Yes, I've done a few calls with groups of friends, it's good fun but really not the same thing as meeting at a bar or for dinner.

However my work has been hugely affected by the situation as many projects have been cancelled and as most of my customers are outside the Country the blocks on air travel have at the moment killed my job. Luckily I am one of those who saves money when things are good and I have savings that will sustain me through these hard times. This is a very Italian approach and I'm glad my education led me to resist the temptation of living on credit like many people do...

Other things have changed, for example every cough or sneeze now becomes suspect and I've started checking my temperature every day. The guidelines are clear, in presence of certain symptoms we have to communicate the health services so better check for these. Once the relevant authorities are informed, they will suggest a course of action depending on the personal situation. It's important to keep them informed, as this may mean helping not only ourselves but others too.

Something that hit me a lot are the effects on people... I'm staying positive as much as I can but I am realising how different persons are reacting to the situation... some are scared, others try to lift the spirits of those around them, others are showing the worst aspects of their personality. I'm no psychologist but I'm expecting that the more time passes the more people will start showing the worst aspects. So my advice to those who are not used to similar situations is to keep your spirit high ! Keep busy but don't get fixated on reading the news, as the news may not be that uplifting. Better read a book than anxiously waiting to find how many people have died that day...

Yes because people have died and will die. Sad but it's the way things are, here and in every other country affected. For many this virus will cause relatively little but for others it will be very different.  It will only be through our behaviour that things may change for the best. Although the approaches taken by different countries are not all the same... It's not the place here to comment on the validity of one solution or the other and I'm not an expert on medical issues... ask me about aircraft technology but not medicine ! However it's clear that the different approaches will have different effects. I know which approach I prefer but only time will tell which one has been the best approach.. or maybe not, because statistics are great but can be read in a thousand different ways and in the end every government will try to read them in the way that will justify their actions.

Last but not least, the effect on our hobby.... in theory I could have much more time for the hobby, however I noticed how I have not really spent more time at the desk than I usually  do. Strange, maybe it's just because I'm not always in the mood for building models... or maybe because that Valom BT-1 is a b**** to put together 😁

Of course hobby shops are closed here as are all shops that are not selling basic necessities. Fortunately I have a decent supply of glue, paints may be a problem but at worst I can mix them. And there are a few online shops that are open anyway, so I can still buy from them if necessary. Of course kits are not a problem, afterall I am one of those with a decently large stash...

So, overall the situation is a royal pain in a certain part of the body ! However this is the way things are, the government have imposed certain restrictions hoping that they will help the greater good and I will follow them because I believe that in this moment we all have to play our part, no matter how tough (and boring) this may be. I did my duty when I served in the Army (much tougher but much more fun) and I'll do my duty if this means staying on the couch watching the telly. Who knows, I may even complete a model or two...

And that's it for the moment for the first week of the total lockdown... only another 3 to go...

And of course, my best wishes to all the Britmodeller community to get through this situation as best as possible !

14 minutes ago, ckw said:

From the silver lining department ... I've seen some preliminary data from Wuhan and Northern Italy that suggests the Coronavirus deaths/illness may have been partially or even totally offset by dramatic drops in air pollution due to self-isolation etc. I would guess RTAs are way down as well. Typically, Italy suffers around 10 road fatalities a day when things are normal.

Cheers

Colin

I saw the pollution maps on the area over China last week on Reddit.  Quite scary how much it has dropped since they shut down.  I suppose it's dropping elsewhere too now that people aren't taking unnecessary journeys or going out without need.

We're doing well at keeping politics out of it despite it being a politically charged situation, especially in the UK where we're going against the tide in dealing with it, so keep up the good work :yes:

22 minutes ago, alex said:

@Giorgio N stay strong, I have my family in Bergamo... :(

Thanks Alex ! My best wishes for your family !  I also have relatives in Bergamo and the situation there is very serious. Hope things start improving soon

China is apparently on the other side of the pandemic. As I type this, the latest WHO situation report shows  27 new cases in China in the preceding 24h v. 10 955 outside China; this trend has been visible for some time now.

For a little bit of brevity, you can create a visual schedule (a.k.a., infographic) for hand washing using your favorite song lyrics. I have a version with Bad to the Bone, by George Thorogood. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Des said:

It is maybe better to stick to joking about it but avoiding the potential political and economic implications a sociological argument could (very) simply be put as follows.

The UK works on the fiction that we are still in general quite a compliant and orderly society , rather than putting on yellow vests to riot we use them to get people to queue , pragmatic governance involves not testing that fiction.   

People talk about the 'Blitz Spirit' and are doing so again in relation to present health issues but more recent historians seriously question the actual realities of public attitudes and responses of that time and sociologists question if what societal restraints did exist back then still exist in a far different Britain.

School closures and other restrictions may well have some value but in the UK context I suspect the government realise that some elements will noisily reject such moves in the first place and that this discontent will grow rendering controls unsustainable over what some projections say could become an extended shutdown especially as the more stringent European controls inevitably begin to crack among populations who traditionally take their grievances to the streets.

And my local Tesco is out of Sensitive Toothpaste . . . . .  is there no end to this madness !!!!

Quite. We are British, we shall keep calm and put the kettle on for a cup of tea and  ... WHAT ? SAINSBURY'S ARE OUT OF TEA ???!!!

WE'RE DOOMED !!!!    :)

Edited by IanHx

In Morrisons today, and was told a couple in town are awaiting test results. This town is 30%+ retired people. If it takes hold, there will be no need to build any more new homes here for a few years.

I joked in Morrisons last week that there would be a run on Prossecco when things got serious. Sure enough, they have cases of the cat's p stuff stacked up by the entrance, where the loo rolls were last week.