10 hours ago, phildagreek said:

But why all the toilet roll?

As far as I can make out when the coronavirus hit the fan and China started to take drastic action Hong Kong closed down much of its cross-border traffic and items such as toilet roll were in short supply leading to some well publicised raids on shops and delivery vans , this was picked up on in Australia where there were was a run (ohh!!!) on the shops and some cases of videoed tissue rage and it has carried on from there despite there being no lack elsewhere.      Suppose that in an otherwise powerless situation it gives people something to focus on , noticed while out shopping mid-week that some shops locally had empty shelves while others were stacked to the roof so not actually a problem.   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Des said:

As far as I can make out when the coronavirus hit the fan and China started to take drastic action Hong Kong closed down much of its cross-border traffic and items such as toilet roll were in short supply leading to some well publicised raids on shops and delivery vans , this was picked up on in Australia where there were was a run (ohh!!!) on the shops and some cases of videoed tissue rage and it has carried on from there despite there being no lack elsewhere.      Suppose that in an otherwise powerless situation it gives people something to focus on , noticed while out shopping mid-week that some shops locally had empty shelves while others were stacked to the roof so not actually a problem.   

I simply don’t understand people stacking up crack-wipes...if in need just use the bidet or shower alternative.....

cheers, Jan

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

if in need just use the bidet or shower alternative.....

I expect a rise in sales of luxury full-service Japanese toilets.

edit: I did discover a very effective way to clear the queue in our local supermarket:
y4mR7yJkE5tSi4kx0sM1qAT1Fq9wMp0tKIQJBNCS

Edited by alt-92
  • Haha 5

I'm now self isolating, nothing to do with any virus though.

My Wife kindly offered to trim my hair this morning and the results were less than spectacular. After the first round I looked like the main character in Dumb and Dumber so we had to go shorter. I now look like a cross between a Russian Mafia Boss and a fuzzy felt toy!! What's the difference between a bad haircut and a good one? See you all in 2 weeks!

Duncan B

• Haha 19
  • Confused 1
7 hours ago, hairystick said:

I'm also left wondering "what were people doing before the crisis"? Other people's bathroom habits could be quite disturbing really.

You understand what the problem is, we, as people brought up in the Soviet Union, have ALWAYS been taught to wash hands before / after eating, when returning home from the street, etc.  It was driven into the head from the first grade of elementary school, because school canteens everywhere had a lot of public hand-washing sinks, it was in catering establishments, work canteens, and the number of hand-washing sinks was calculated in accordance with the calculated standards depending  from the capacity of catering establishments.  This was monitored by special regulatory bodies such as the sanitary-epidemiological service.  Everywhere hung posters "Wash your hands before eating."

1152-500x500.jpg

44126930_1990359984341302_49475437250111

1577213041113817347.jpg

"Wash vegetables before eating"

184367_or.jpg

e.t.c.

But the Soviet Union fell apart, the propagandists declared its heritage, including hygienic, a totalitarian past, came street food and McDonald's, all these posters ridiculed as totalitarian prejudices - "These are natural bacteria on hand! Why wash them?!"  "The organism  must maintain immunity! Therefore, it must fight bacteria! Do not wash your hands!"  "These are totalitarian prejudices!"  etc. the propagandists of the new, wonderful world of wild capitalism said ... where to make and keep LOT of sinks for washing hands is simply not profitable because the cost of acquiring plumbing, the cost of water, the floor space that is not used in the business, etc.

As result have new "beautiful" generation who does not know and does not understand that you need to wash your hands before eating, after coming from the street ...in such circumstances, the pandemic issue was only a matter of time....and now it happened ...

However, here everything is just beginning ...

About opening door ...in my childhood, if the door opened outward, we often used the hooligan way 😎 to open the door, kicked it below like a football  .... we were often scolded for it, because many doors were dirty below from a lot of kicks!😁

I think in this situation, it is better to look rude.  and it’s not politically correct with respect to the door, than becoming a peddler of infection, because the door can be washed or bought a new one and you cannot replace or buy your life or your loved ones!

What to do with a door that opens onto itself?  If there is anything protruding on it, such as a grille, open behind it!  If not then the pen remains.  Napkins or a paper towel are a good option, but generally it is better to wear gloves!😉

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 7

Talking of toilet rolls …..

On the back of a packet of Andrex  I bought there are instructions on how to use said paper.

Yes instructions on how to wipe your bum and how many sheets to use.

Words fail me.

Dick

• Haha 9
19 minutes ago, jenko said:

Talking of toilet rolls …..

On the back of a packet of Andrex  I bought there are instructions on how to use said paper.

Words fail me.

Dick

There are some people out there that need the instructions, believe me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
16 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Thre's probably some that need instrutions on how to take them out the plastic...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
48 minutes ago, jenko said:

I know a 'manager' proudly boasting the fact they run through 10 (!) bog rolls a week with a family of four.
I can manage 2 weeks easily with one roll.

Sad to report I'llness has struck me overnight folk's Threw up a few times woke up with a headache from hell and temperature,Coronavirus no,probably the

Hunters Chicken for tea followed be three doughnuts,two bars of Nougat two bags of crisps and a bottle of Shiraz.

• Haha 9
3 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I know a 'manager' proudly boasting the fact they run through 10 (!) bog rolls a week with a family of four.
I can manage 2 weeks easily with one roll.

Managers have a habit of creating more poo than others  :toilet:

• Haha 9

Ah yes, the seagull managerial type.

You know, those that come flying in creating a loud racket, dump their poo-poo all over your desk, and then buzz off again.

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

If there's one good thing to come out of this. It'll be habitual hand washing particularly after using the toilet. That drives me crazy and I was like a broken record telling my kids to wash their hands. Now they get it. 

As for toilet paper shortage. My niece is out in Australia. She just sent a funny WhatsApp video showing off all the toilet paper she liberated from 'various bars'. She obviously sampled the local brew in each bar as quite clearly she is more than 3 sheets to the wind. 

Edited by noelh
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Sad to report I'llness has struck me overnight folk's Threw up a few times woke up with a headache from hell and temperature,Coronavirus no,probably the

Hunters Chicken for tea followed be three doughnuts,two bars of Nougat two bags of crisps and a bottle of Shiraz.

Must have been the crisps...

• Haha 2

I can just imagine the Four Yorkshiremen sketch for this subject.

Soft toilet rolls?? Luxury! When I were a lad, we 'ad t'mek do wi' the News of the World!! Left ink all ower t'bum!

• Haha 9
2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

10 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Must have been the crisps...

My money is on the Nougat. Should have gone Curly wurly instead 

Hope you feel better Steve

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jenko said:

Instructions my kids could do with reading as they seem to think one roll equals one visit!

Steve

• Like 1
4 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I simply don’t understand people stacking up crack-wipes...if in need just use the bidet or shower alternative.....

cheers, Jan

Or follow Owen Newitt’s example in The Vicar of Dibley:-

“I quite like The Times. It’s not too rough on the buttocks”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, cngaero said:

Don't worry Steve, if you think you're depressed, just think about the poor soul who has hundreds of boxes of aromatic delights "dumped" on their desk every morning! That thought always cheers me up. It's great growing old disgracefully. Join me and be a Senile Delinquent.

poor bloke indeed, he was 2 weeks into the job before someone told him they weren't chocolate raisins.

• Haha 6

B.w. for prophylactic need not only hand and face wash,  most articles on the prevention of acute respiratory infections indicate that ultraviolet radiation kills up to 99% of the bacteria and germs in the room. According to a some  theories, harmful bacteria and germs must achieve a certain critical concentration in order for them to break through your immune defense. Therefore, you just need to reduce their concentration in the air and on the surface to values that are safe for the organism.

It is for these purposes that sanitary-hygienic treatment is intended, such as washing the face and hands, treating surfaces and rooms with disinfectant solutions and ultraviolet radiation.

Of  course this 

portable ultraviolet  emitter ("damned" legacy of the Soviet past, yeah 😁)

20200314-161802.jpg

20200314-161748.jpg

20200314-161820.jpg

but as I know you can buy an ultraviolet lamp, which can be screwed in instead of a ordinary electric lamp.

Naturally during the disinfection of the room with ultraviolet lamps, there should not be anything living in the room - people, animals, plants for their safety.  You just need to turn on the lamp and turn it off after 15 minutes if there is no timer in it.  Then ventilate the room 5-10 minutes....generally ventilate the room recommended and without ultraviolet radiation.

146% warranty that it will protect against infection, of course not, but you will improve your chances of resisting infection.

Also I read about 

ozone generator as a means of killing pathogenic microbes and bacteria with high efficiency, but ozone in a high concentration is dangerous, so you probably should not use ozone generators.

I hope that what I wrote helps someone.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

20200314-161802.jpg

Naturally during the disinfection of the room with ultraviolet lamps, there should not be anything living in the room - people, animals, plants for their safety.  You just need to turn on the lamp and turn it off after 15 minutes if there is no timer in it.  Then ventilate the room 5-10 minutes....generally ventilate the room recommended and without ultraviolet radiation.

B.R.

Serge

AHA!

See that's is where we went wrong then!

Over here in the U.S. we were using them to throw parties!

IMG-20150323-WA0001.jpg

• Haha 6
5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

And they usually stand too close to me at model shows! 😠

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

And they usually stand too close to me at model shows! 😠

Or upwind hard up against the magazine racks with anorak hoods up and cords drawn tight at WH Smith's slowly going through each title page-by-page.

Aviation and Modelling mags are at floor level in my local branch so I'll leave the rest to the imagination.

• Haha 4
5 minutes ago, Des said:

Aviation and Modelling mags are at floor level in my local branch so I'll leave the rest to the imagination.

🤢

• Like 1
  • Mike locked this topic