As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

One of he things about national crisis's such as this one, is that it brings out the very best of people on the one hand; witness the 400,000 plus who have volunteered to help, and on the other hand, the very worst. There is a story on line, warning people over here to be very wary of "gendarmes" stopping cars and fining drivers for being out and about, even though they have a legitimate reason. Of course, they're fake. People have been told to demand to see identification and to note their numbers. It's sad how the :poop:always manages to rise to the surface at times like these.

John.

Went to the supermarket today for the 'big shop'. No queues and the only thing out of stock was flour. There must be lots of baking going on!

Despite my caution and my wife's good advice. I did manage to pick up a case of Corona. 

Well it was reduced in price and I like it. 🍻

I have to say though I was very nervous throughout. I'm increasingly paranoid when I go out. I think a lot of people must feel the same way. 

ONE HUNDRED THINGS TO DO INSIDE THIS WEEKEND

1. Say “hasta la vista, baby” whilst closing every work-related tab on your computer

2. Try to find yourself on Google Earth

3. Tighten the screws on your saucepan handles

4. Organise your computer desktop so it’s all neat and tidy and you no longer know where anything is

5. Clean the kitchen

6. Rank every crisp flavour in order from best to worst

7. Come up with a new signature

8. Download TikTok

9. Spend fifteen seconds on TikTok

10. Decide that’s enough TikTok for one day

11. Clean the kitchen again

12. Rank every chocolate bar in order from best to worst

13. Use the nutritional information on your canned goods as a makeshift version of top trumps

14. Watch a marble race on Youtube

15. Get far too into marble racing

16. Decide you’re going to have your own marble race

17. Realise you don’t own any marbles

18. Put your marble-based dreams on the backburner for now

19. Watch a years worth of Netflix in an afternoon

20. Avoid eye contact with all the books you own but have never read

21. Rank every biscuit in order from best to rich tea

22. Resist the urge to cut your own hair

23. Figure out what your three wishes would be, in case you ever come into possession of a magic lamp, fish, or monkey paw

24. Learn your debit card number off by heart like a Jedi or something

25. Clean the kitchen for a third time

26. Play Scrabble

27. Pull out two Qs and no Us

28. Argue about whether “Qi” is a word

29. Put Scrabble away

30. Spend fifteen minutes looking at pictures of quokkas on the internet

31. Decide you’re going to have an early night

32. Spend two hours in bed on your phone

33. Go to sleep

34. Wake up

35. Decide you’re going to have a productive day

36. Spend two hours in bed on your phone

37. Have a sitdown shower because you’re an adult and you can do what you want

38. Use a 48-pack of Weetabix as a makeshift Jenga set

39. Spend fifteen minutes hoovering up crumbs of wheat

40. Research who would win in a race between a zebra and an ostrich

41. Check the news

42. Quickly close the news

43. Give the kitchen a once over

44. Brush up on either the history of the Roman Empire, or the history of tomato ketchup, depending on what sort of a mood you’re in

45. See what’s happening on Instagram stories

46. Is anyone NOT doing online yoga?

47. Research home workouts

48. Instantly feel exhausted

49. Call your parents

50. Call your best friends parents, see how they’re getting on

51. Facetime someone with a dog

52. You know what, that quick once over really wasn’t enough, give the kitchen a proper clean

53. Look around your kitchen and decide which of your friends would be what household appliances

54. Ponder who invented the coat hanger

55. Learn to spell onomateopia

56. Play Rock Paper Scissors over Skype, first to 500 wins

57. Search “two dogs dressed as one dog carrying a present”

58. Attempt to clean your oven

59. Realise you’re in way over your head here

60. Have a picnic in your lounge

61. Enjoy the pleasant lack of wasps

62. Try Scrabble again

63. Pull out two Qs again

64. Decide Scrabble can self-isolate itself at the back of the cupboard

65. Give your kitchen a deep clean

66. See what’s happening on Instagram Stories

67. Is anyone NOT making their own sourdough?

68. Research how to make sourdough

69. Decide that quarantine or no quarantine, you do not have the time or patience to make sourdough

70. Tidy up all the tangled cables behind your TV

71. Put on your shoes, just to remember how it feels

72. Go through your phone contacts and guess whether each person keeps their ketchup in the fridge or cupboard

73. Try to figure out how many seconds you’ve been alive for, without using a calculator

74. Choose which knife, fork and spoon are your favourite

75. Choose which are your least favourite

76. Make up mean names for them

77. Think about doing the ironing

78. Decide against doing the ironing

79. Crave ice cream

80. Check your freezer - no ice cream

81. Really crave ice cream

82. Check your freezer - still no ice cream

83. Debate whether going to the shops for ice cream counts as “essential travel”

84. Reluctantly accept that it definitely doesn’t

85. Check your freezer again - just in case

86. Research how to do that magic trick where you whip the tablecloth out from under everything

87. Attempt that magic trick

88. Spend fifteen minutes cleaning up broken glass

89. Make a drawing for a friend using MS Paint

90. Clean your kitchen, but this really is the last time now

91. Casually check your fridge every forty five minutes, on the off chance the contents has changed

92. Watch a Youtube tutorial on folding fitted sheets

93. Try to fold a fitted sheet

94. Fail

95. Decide that if you’ve made it this far without learning to fold fitted sheets, your fitted sheets can jolly well go unfolded

96. Read a needlessly long Facebook post because you’ve got nothing better to do

97. Start dusting your skirting boards

98. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint and you’re going to need to save some fun for next weekend

99. Realise you haven’t cleaned the kitchen in a while

100. Clean the kitchen

8 minutes ago, Ratch said:

10. Decide that’s enough TikTok for one LIFETIME

Helped you with that....

9 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Play Scrabble

Yep

9 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Pull out two Qs and no Us

There's only one "Q" per set...

11 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Attempt to clean your oven

I did this but bemoaned that I couldn't get out to buy some proper stuff!

12 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Pull out two Qs again

See above.

Posted (edited)

Ratch, I don't if that's yours or someone else's but it's hilarious and I will be sharing it. 

BTW I am attempting to make sourdough. 

Edited by noelh

Someone else's - I just had to share it

7 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Someone else's - I just had to share it

I showed it to my wife. She cleaned the kitchen today. But she's puzzled as to why it still looks messy. She even cleaned behind the microwave. No idea why. But she's inordinately proud of that fact.

She also went to bed early and spent two hours on the phone. Glad she's back in work tomorrow. 

Just got Kindle versions of The Good Shepherd (basis for the upcoming Greyhound movie) and Mission Beyond Darkness for $0.99. Amazon had other $0.99 offers. 

Posted (edited)

Just got word, my wife's God daughter, her niece, a student nurse has tested positive for the virus. She's fine, mild symptoms but now isolated. 

She was working in a Covid ward. She's more upset she can't work than anything else. 

She's a lovely kid and a favourite of my boys. 

Brings it home really. I suppose it had to come to our door eventually. 

Edited by noelh

This makes me angry beyond speech. We all knew it would happen.

Aye @Skodadriver we did indeed all know that it would happen. There are, sadly, a lot of human beings who don't really display much in the way of intelligence and they will always be among us unfortunately. I do actually believe that the human race has peaked and is now in decline intellectually. Even basic logic and common sense are becoming a rare commodity.

3 hours ago, noelh said:

Just got word, my wife's God daughter, her niece, a student nurse has tested positive for the virus. She's fine, mild symptoms but now isolated. 

Hoping shes well. ☹️

2 hours ago, Beardie said:

I do actually believe that the human race has peaked and is now in decline intellectually. Even basic logic and common sense are becoming a rare commodity.

Ive said for years I think we’re breeding common sense out of the species. If you get a chance watch this movie. 

https://youtu.be/BBvIweCIgwk

Try to or as much as you can stand before crying when you realize just how close to the truth it is. 

Dennis

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Did see the pics doing the rounds on that tweety-thing.
Some items apparently off with that story:

1) bin colour doesn't match what the local council supposedly uses

2) very conveniently no-one bothered to check the dates

3) I've seen replies that would curl your toes

4) when someone dies, what do you think happen with the content of their fridge?

Edited by alt-92
ordering matters

9 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Suppose someone's chest freezer broke? Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Did see the pics doing the rounds on that tweety-thing.
Some items apparently off with that story:

1) bin colour doesn't match what the local council supposedly uses

2) very conveniently no-one bothered to check the dates

3) I've seen replies that would curl your toes

4) when someone dies, what do you think happen with the content of their fridge?

I live in Coventry where the photos where taken – if you believe the story, which I do.

In Cov the green bin is for general household waste – we do have a compost bin with a brown lid. Many people don't give a stuff if they use the correct bins

We have two large universities in the city with a very large student population, many of whom are from overseas. So it's entirely possible, as the story says, that it was foreign students dumping panic bought food before they went home. Not being considerate to others is a global pandemic that's gaining more 'victims' each year.

It's embarrassing and infuriating that it happened in Coventry, but I bet it's happening all over Britain at the moment.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Suppose someone's chest freezer broke?

Someone with an ounce of decency would give it to the local food bank rather than dump it.

Me still hasn't had the guts to open my parcel from Hobby Easy in Hong Kong... :weep:

hi   Uncle Uncool

I understand your fear   😬

In light of wot is bein' happenin 'in Honkers, that is a Town the Chinese Government want to wipeout !

Just wipe it down as you open your parcel ......easy ! then enjoy your purchase  😁

cheery "stay safe " mumbas !

Geoff

🌐👹🔨😷😬

Posted (edited)

(Content removed: black mood.)

Edited by Dave Batt

Posted (edited)

Well, the third week of full lockdown has passed here and we've now entered the 4th.. I've yet to complete one single model but at least my BT-1 is making good progress.

Fortunately the number of new positives is decreasing but the victims are still too many, so it clearly isn't over yet. Latest news is that the government is now looking at early May as a likely time to start reopening things. Some businesses may reopen earlier if the numbers show a very steep decline but in any case life will not go back to normal immediately, it will be a gradual reopening of activivities, likely following the pattern originally enforced for the lockdown but in reverse. We are still in the deep of the virus emergency but it's time to start thinking of the future.

Future that will not come soon though, at best there will still be another 2 weeks of complete lockdown, that may well become 4... I know people who are already very tired of these 3 weeks, getting on for another 4 will not be easy for them.

Apart from the serious matters, there's also a lot of less serious things that we keep mentioning among frieds as consequences of a potential 7 weeks lockdown... just to name one, it will be 7 weeks without seeing a barber, or hairdresser for the ladies.. the number of blonde girls is steadily decreasing !There's also little chance of enjoying some sun, so we're probably all getting paler and paler.. I'm afraid that by the end of the 7 weeks many men will look like a Norwegian black metal singer with their long hair and white faces.

One problem that is not serious for many but is very serious for me is that international deliveries have been heavily disrupted. A number of dealers do not dispatch to Italy anymore, for example Eduard, and this meant that I've stopped buying stuff online just to be on the safe side as even if others do send parcels to Italy, they may get lost or arrive in the next geologic era. Mind, not that this is necessarily a bad thing as in the end this means saving money ! Same for the not going out thing, it's a serious problem for bars and restaurants but is improving the finances of their customers...

Of course there are people who do not follow the self-isolation rules, and I found quite funny reading the various stories in this thread as they are pretty much the same things that happen here. I also find very funny how British people here complain that their lot can not follow the rules... well, it's the same story that people tell here. And I've heard many times things like "we Italians can't follow rules, not like the British who in this moment are all following what the government ask without complaints...". And I bet that people in other countries have the same stories ! The thing is that in the end people are people, there are cultural differences but when we look at the very basic instincts we are all pretty much the same. So there's morons in my country like in yours but fortunately there's mostly decent people in my country like in yours. Here there are very hefty fines for those who do not respect the self-isolation rules (up to € 2500), yet there's always someone trying to sneak out. When looking at the numbers published by police forces however the number of those caught out with no proper justification is only a couple percent, that I guess that on the whole of a nation is not avoidable.

So as I enter my fourth week of self-isolation, I renew my wishes to the whole Britmodeller community ! I've read of the cases that have affected relatives and other acquaintances of some of the members, I pass my best wishes to them too. We live in strange times, all that matters now is to get through them unscathed.

Edited by Giorgio N

Thanks for the update Giorgio, good to see that you are still well and hoping that it stays that way.

We did not wait for M. Macron but started our self isolation on 14 March and it has made little difference to us so far. We are extremely fortunate to be retired and live in an area where there are more farm animals than people, but SWMBO will need to venture out in the next few days to top up our basic supplies like milk and vegetables, I’m not allowed being 70+.

As you suggest, I hope that the return to normal life will be a gradual process when it comes, I think that we’re a couple of weeks behind you in France, and the UK a couple of weeks behind that.

All the best

John

I find your post reassuring @Giorgio N that folks are basically the same around the world. Keep safe.

On 29/03/2020 at 22:06, Ratch said:

Figure out what your three wishes would be, in case you ever come into possession of a magic lamp, fish, or monkey paw

This probably all came about because someone's first wish on that monkey paw was that they didn't have to commute to work.

Yep, some people were stocking up for the Apocalypse, I mean who needs 200 rolls?

Simon.