As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Was just thinking of this today and more and more panic occurs in the US.  I got plenty of building I could do, but with the last 3 models being built and all having issues (see build in signature) I am having a hard time wanting to work on models.   Could be a toughy!

Posted (edited)

With the schools closed here I'm self Isolated with two very active boys for at least three weeks but probably a lot longer.

I do think I might get that Hasegawa F4U-5N finished. 

My wife will be very busy as she's the laboratory manager in a hospital so she's on the front line. One advantage of being married to a Medical Scientist is that actually knows what she's talking about on this topic. So I can spot any misinformation straight away. 

The disadvantage is she will think that having her husband around the house for weeks seems like an opportunity to tackle some of the infinite number of jobs she conjures up for me. So maybe that Corsair may languish on the shelf of doom for a bit longer. 

In relation to the crisis itself there's something of a wartime atmosphere around. Rumours abound, total lockdown the army about to be deployed on the streets etc. One of my sisters sent on a very plausible recording of an NCO telling his troops to report at 06:00 next Monday ready take to the streets when a state of emergency is declared at 08:00. That of course was the giveaway. As anyone who's ever been in the military knows. The last people to know the plan are the troops whose job it is to carry it out. 

People are still panic buying in supermarkets which is silly. I just went to the local butcher and panic bought some chops. Then went to the shop and noted plentiful supplies of toilet paper and more importantly alcohol. 

I've also considered panic buying some new models as if my stash wasn't big enough already. 

This whole situation must be a gift for the so called 'Preppers'. Their moment has come. 

Edited by noelh

4 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

There was so much truth in that series.

Graham

23 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I can't think of a way to pass the time.... 

Any ideas?? 🙄😊😃😄😆

May be we could find some sort of hobby to help pass the days*, weeks*, months* (*delete as applicable) 😷😷😷

I've been a Self Isolationist for years, or to translate it into SWMBO speak, "A Miserable Old Bugger", so at least the relatives know what to expect if they dare to visit. 

Countries on lockdown,stock market in meltdown,panic buying in the supermarkets the worst health crisis in a generation and now my local model shop is 

closing down for a few week's due to the elderly being their main customer's. I only turned sixty last month and within a day or two the NHS sent me a box

with an invitation to send back a poo sample and I've run out of yellow paint,now I'm really depressed.

17 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Countries on lockdown,stock market in meltdown,panic buying in the supermarkets the worst health crisis in a generation and now my local model shop is 

closing down for a few week's due to the elderly being their main customer's. I only turned sixty last month and within a day or two the NHS sent me a box

with an invitation to send back a poo sample and I've run out of yellow paint,now I'm really depressed.

I still can't get my head round the idea that when there is talk of "the over 65s" that means me. Physically I might be 67 but in my mind I'm somewhere in my 30s.

Anyhow, with a stash of about 350 kits and 1000 decal sheets, a decently stocked freezer, plenty of logs for the stove and several bottles of good malt I might try self-isolation even without any symptoms.

Joking apart, it hasn't really hit us yet and we just have to hope that the UK government's measured approach and facing down the tabloid "why aren't the schools shut?" hysteria is the right one. If they've called it wrong we could be in for a pretty unpleasant time.

Nearly time to use my hand cleanser and toilet roll stockpile - slather myself in hand cleanser , wrap layers of toilet roll round me and then wait for it to harden into an antiseptic papier mache and the world will be mine !!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Joking apart, it hasn't really hit us yet and we just have to hope that the UK government's measured approach and facing down the tabloid "why aren't the schools shut?" hysteria is the right one. If they've called it wrong we could be in for a pretty unpleasant time.

The message over here's travel only if you have to and do what you can to stay safe yet in Jersey it's the complete opposite,what a farce...

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

I only turned sixty last month and within a day or two the NHS sent me a box with an invitation to send back a poo sample and I've run out of yellow paint, now I'm really depressed.

Could be worse, it could be the other way round.  You're lucky, if you had turned sixty a couple of years  ago you're poo sample was taken over 3 days, on card with 3 windows, the worst advent calendar...EVER. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I still can't get my head round the idea that when there is talk of "the over 65s" that means me. Physically I might be 67 but in my mind I'm somewhere in my 30s.

Physically I'm 65 this year, unless Covid-19 claims me, but in my mind I'm nowhere as mature as 30!!!

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I only turned sixty last month and within a day or two the NHS sent me a box

Don't worry Steve, if you think you're depressed, just think about the poor soul who has hundreds of boxes of aromatic delights "dumped" on their desk every morning! That thought always cheers me up. It's great growing old disgracefully. Join me and be a Senile Delinquent.

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I think the closing of the schools here in Ireland is a good move. The kids are effectively immune to the virus but they can pass it on. I turned sixty last December and while I have no underlying issues my two boys, 13 and 11 have cast iron immune systems. They once caught the flu, shrugged it off but gave it to me and my wife. I lay there dying while they bounced off my chest. 

I feared a similar result with more fatal results. So I'm happy to be protected. 

The British government 'measured approach' might be based more on economic issues than reality. 

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

an invitation to send back a poo sample and I've run out of yellow paint,now I'm really depressed.

The one is not related to the other I hope?

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

the NHS sent me a box

We all know you can't polish a 💩  ,  but quite why you'd want to paint a yellow stripe on one beats me....

( unless it's some form of 'go faster' embellishment? )

1 hour ago, noelh said:

I think the closing of the schools here in Ireland is a good move. The kids are effectively immune to the virus but they can pass it on. I turned sixty last December and while I have no underlying issues my two boys, 13 and 11 have cast iron immune systems. They once caught the flu, shrugged it off but gave it to me and my wife. I lay there dying while they bounced off my chest. 

I feared a similar result with more fatal results. So I'm happy to be protected. 

The British government 'measured approach' might be based more on economic issues than reality. 

It's tempting to be cynical but there is a relatively supportive article in today's New Statesman, a publication which is normally a strong critic of the current UK government. I'd post the link but it's paywalled unless you access it through Apple News. 

But why all the toilet roll?

4 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Anyhow, with a stash of about 350 kits and 1000 decal sheets, a decently stocked freezer, plenty of logs for the stove and several bottles of good malt  I might try self-isolation even without any symptoms.

Reference the schools.

I am no friend of a Tory government but they have got this absolutely correct. Their adherence to scientific advice, particularly that which is counter intuitive and against the popular or political grain is to their credit. I will contribute more as the situation develops and more information makes it to the public domain but keeping schools open is not just about education but providing child care for those people who need to care for the sick and keep the country going. Most kids are not at risk themselves but as potential "superspreaders" keeping them contained in a school for most of the day and away from their grandparents who would otherwise be looking after them is very sensible. 

I attended a COVID 19 meeting yesterday where we planned the deployment of staff to save peoples' lives within the NHS. It was commented that we will get away with this as long as we don't shut the schools. 

This is not about not contracting the illness but spreading that contagion it over a period of time where the demand on the NHS remains below the capacity limit, particularly for ventilation. That means that if the strategy works we will have a much longer period of disruption but fewer people will die. We hope.

Stay safe. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Then wash your hands. Don't be spooked by the lack of hand sanitiser; washing with hot water and soap is much better and take evey opportunity to do so. It will protect you from infection and if you have the disease protect others. It will also "flatten the curve". For 80% of people who have this illness it will be the most trivial infection they have ever had. You may well mistake it for a hangover or just being tired and so stay active in your community. That's the problem, with flu you feel so poo-poo you tend to self isolate by default.

Lets support one another. For some people isolation is not going to be a break. For others it will be very different so lets recognise the people in this community who need support and give them some love. And don't be afraid to ask for help.

Again from my COVID 19 meeting yesterday a wise person said "Be kind, look after one another"

Lets all do that in  and outside of Britmodeller.

🙂

That is some of the best advice and reasoning I have come across so far. I just wish the media would shove their scare mongering where the sun don't shine.

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

But why all the toilet roll?

From my old Regiment's bolshie and dreadfully satirical ex Squaddie's website:

"Cos when 1 person sneezes, 100 others removed themselves!"

Apols Mods and Mike!

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

We all know you can't polish a 💩  ,  but quite why you'd want to paint a yellow stripe on one beats me....

( unless it's some form of 'go faster' embellishment? )

Maybe you can!

49657005772_b6a57f314a.jpg

Chris

Personally I hate to brag... BUT I've been washing my hands since before it became fashionable to do so.

I'm also left wondering "what were people doing before the crisis"? Other people's bathroom habits could be quite disturbing really.

37 minutes ago, hairystick said:

Other people's bathroom habits could be quite disturbing really.

Could be? ARE! It's quite appalling at times to use a public restroom, especially when someone makes a bee line for the door straight from the urinal or stall:yikes:

That's why it's always best to grab an inward-opening door handle with paper towel in hand...

23 hours ago, iainpeden said:

I did hear that, due to self isolation, there will be a baby boom around Christmas 2020.

Best results for  baby boom around Christmas 2020 will turn off the TV and the Internet! 😉 Therefore, do not even hope for  baby boom, because all will watch TV & Internet !😁

23 hours ago, Duncan B said:

But I have told the Postman and the Milkman to leave their deliveries at the gate!!

But You missed the Plumbers !!!

😉😁

Or Plumbers not so dangerous as 

Postman and the Milkman???

😉😁

B.R.

Serge