Tornado GR1, ZA470/FL, No. 16 Sqn, RAF Laarbruch, 1986

After a bit of a break I've finally finished the Italeri Tornado! Some of the parts were a pig to fit but I'm fairly ok with the final result considering how the build went.

I made it oob and only added the wing sweep covers cut from masking tape as otherwise you could see straight through. The markings were from the Airfix Tornado, though I cut the code letters up to make it into FL instead of FV. I used Flory dirt wash to dull it doen a bit and dirty the jetpipes and tail area.

All criticism welcomed so I can improve!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Comparison with the Airfix Tornado (ZA407, TWCU):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 44

Nice build. I was at Laarbruch in the Aircraft Servicing Flight from August '83 to August '86 so I could have worked on that one.

Though I never saw one with a refuelling probe. Though they may have been removed by the Squadron before we got the jet.

• Like 1

Not bad at all. There's a fair bit of silvering on your decals - did you gloss coat before decaling? It will help the decals settle down better. I always gloss coat over the decals, too before weathering.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

Not bad at all. There's a fair bit of silvering on your decals - did you gloss coat before decaling? It will help the decals settle down better. I always gloss coat over the decals, too before weathering.

Thanks. No gloss coat, I'm not really sure what to do there, wouldn't it make the camo glossy too, when it's meant to be matt? What do you use? Do you gloss over the whole kit or just over the decals?

26 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Nice pair 🤗

Which one has the correct open canopy angle?

Thanks! I reckon the correct angle is probably half way between the two! But the way they are is the only way they'll stay open without glue or blu-tack 😂

24 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks. No gloss coat, I'm not really sure what to do there, wouldn't it make the camo glossy too, when it's meant to be matt? What do you use? Do you gloss over the whole kit or just over the decals?

You apply a gloss coat before decals and weathering, then when that's all done, you add your coat of choice, whether that be matt, semi gloss, gloss, etc. The first gloss coat is basically there to protect the paint job and stop other chemicals/processes interfering with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bell209 said:

In Lord Riots defence, I used the airfix decals on some Tornadoes I made for my Grandsons, and prior gloss varnish first made no difference to the silvering unfortunately. The wing walk markings in particular were terrible on the ones I used. I think they are just not as good quality decals as some of the aftermarket or more modern offerings.

Nice Tornado though, what is not to like about a 16 Sqn aircraft :)  I was at Laarbruch 77-81, so saw the sad demise of the Buccaneer and introduction of the Tonka.  Took a while for people to warm to them I think but now they are of course an iconic RAF model.

• Thanks 1

Cracking Pair of Tonkas LordRiot. I wish I could pull off the chamo scheme but every time I've tried its gone horribly wrong and I've either settled for grey or the bin. I've plenty in the stash so maybe one day....

Hats off anyway they make a great couple

Darren

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 10:02 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Nice pair 🤗

Which one has the correct open canopy angle?

You could always put a jury strut in... and claim the wind was above a certain number of knots. My memory has faded, it may have been 40 knts. I was on TWCU back in the day at Honington and seeing your model brought back some memories - though it looks a bit clean....lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks! Funnily enough I have the Revell one in the stash now, so hopefully it'll be third time lucky. I'm getting more experience with each kit, and learning tips on here. I actually thought the Airfix kit was better than the Italeri one and a more accurate shape, it was certainly a better fit, but my painting skills were even worse when I made the TWCU one, so I bought another Tornado. Next one will probably be 27 Sqn from Marham, late 80s. 

• Like 1

Hello Lord riot !

I saw the real thing in airshows !!

Italeri ? Sooo that must be the old Esci one ??

That's a pretty great job indeed !!

Given the base, you can really be proud of it !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

What a lovely pair of Tonkas, never liked the grey scheme so these are right up my street, I built the Monogram offering in the guise of the Trinational Tornado Training Establishment based at RAF Cottesmore and was a fun build but it is nowhere near the standard of your offerings. Very nice indeed.

Marc

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents, I actually thought this was one of my poorer recent builds so the encouragement is nice to see. 

I'd like to do a TTTE one at some point in this scale too, if the Revell kit is any good (better than Airfix or Italeri?) then I might get yet another. It was amazing when the RAF had about 14 squadrons of these.