Spitfire FR Mk.XIV - Peszawar India 1946 - Airfix 1/48

The new Spitfire from Airfix, slightly weak in the box. So I riveted him. Added Barracuda propeller, Eduard PE, metal barrels, decals from Exito and some plastic little parts after the Eduard Mk.9.

NSHTL8bh.jpg
RPtdgJFh.jpg
85HwTyoh.jpg
1ObQcgzh.jpg
mvcF1RKh.jpg
nzstJHTh.jpg
fPmbJpAh.jpg
lkJYRJeh.jpg
VNTnKQIh.jpg
4j5LX1Th.jpg
NuPc8Uoh.jpg
HL67LOUh.jpg
R3P2PNOh.jpg
zGEr3rxh.jpg

Edited by Jurek Greinert
  • Like 71

A very impressive piece of work. 

4 small detail points.

1- the leading edge., the 'D' shaped section  of Spitfire wing is a thicker gauge of metal, it is flush riveted, which are then filled and rubbed down,  they rivets are nearly invisible on a 1/1 wing.   This is one glitch on the Eduard kit.

2 - Spitfire XIV have 4 spoke wheels, these could take a greater weight, and are standard on later wartime Spitfires

3- the wheel well which holds the wheel is the underside colour, not grey green. the inner leg part is grey green.

4 - walkways and stencils were not reapplied over the white bands

here's the real plane

64bd8bd798276e17acfe612a43ad031d.jpg

All minor details,   the construction and paint finish are superb  :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

4 small detail points.

1- the leading edge., the 'D' shaped section  of Spitfire wing is a thicker gauge of metal, it is flush riveted, which are then filled and rubbed down,  they rivets are nearly invisible on a 1/1 wing.   This is one glitch on the Eduard kit.

2 - Spitfire XIV have 4 spoke wheels, these could take a greater weight, and are standard on later wartime Spitfires

3- the wheel well which holds the wheel is the underside colour, not grey green. the inner leg part is grey green.

4 - walkways and stencils were not reapplied over the white bands

Ad1 - good information - I will remember

Ad2 - I used Eduard, those in Airfix are tragic

Ad3 - I had a dilemma, e.g. Belgian in the museum has green

Ad4 - corrected, the fact they were painted white. It even looks nice as it slightly pierces in the background

tWuQfFxh.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jurek Greinert said:

Ad3 - I had a dilemma, e.g. Belgian in the museum has green

Hi Jurek

This one is much debated.  the late Edgar Brooks says it depends on what you consider internal and external areas on a Spitfire.   

as the wells are usually in shadow, that does not help. Every photo where you can see the any of the well, it is the underside colour (I know of one exception, which is an oddity)

But, a film of the daily maintenance of the Spitfire up on youtube, does show the wells,  this is a screen grab.   New Spitfire,  May 1940.  Factory finish.  

Outer well is underside colour, inner leg part is internal colour (aluminum paint in this case)

48992641552_39cc4f653c_b.jpgSpitfire Mk.I maintenance film UC well colour by losethekibble, on Flickr

for comparison,  this shows the flaps (aluminium paint) and cockpit door open(grey green)

48991973078_52b802898d_o.jpgSpitfire flap colour maintenance film by losethekibble, on Flickr

I add comments like this to a build of your quality as I know you are trying to be as accurate as possible,  and will use this for future use.  

38 minutes ago, Jurek Greinert said:

Ad4 - corrected, the fact they were painted white. It even looks nice as it slightly pierces in the background

That looks great now!

cheers

T

• Like 1

Very impressive Spitfire you have there.Love the rivetworks and the paint job,simply smashing! ( Maybe for the next project Airfix will invite over the famous riveter from China....that's a compliment actually)..There are kits which I believe looks better with it.

Yes, yes, oh my, yes! The riveting really adds to the realism, and the colors and weathering are very realistic and understated, as well. The Mk XIV/XVIII were lean, mean, fighting machines! Well done!:clap2:

Mike