British Airways B777-236(ER) in 1/144

Here is my finished Boeing 777-236(ER) which has been converted using the Revell B777-300(ER) kit. I opted for the British Airways livery and G-VIIB as it was a regular site for me when I used to work at LGW.

I have converted this kit, and a full WIP can be found by following the link which is below. This was my first attempt at a conversion and when I had made the cuts and ended up with 3 pieces of fuselage I found it hard to imagine an end result. I followed some excellent advice given to me and persevered with it. The Revell kit is a nice build and goes together really well. The engines are the GE90-94s from BraZ as are the wingtips. The decals are from RichW and they have gone on brilliantly as well as the AA windows.

The paints used were Revell 04 White Gloss for the upper fuselage (I opted for this due to an issue with spraying), Halfords Fiat Capri Blue for the lower fuselage and nacelles, Halfords Racking Grey for the wings and Revell 374 for the coroguard. The metals and greys are mix of Revell Aqua colours. This was my first time really masking off a demarcation line, although in principal it seems easy enough, but I’m too set on wanting it perfect. I used Tamiya flex tape for the tapered ends and thicker Tamiya tape for the straight sections. I think it has turned out ok. 

I studied several photos of BA’s 777 wings and I found they were all particularly dirty, especially the trailing ends and had an unusual light grey contamination on the upper surfaces. I have tried to replicate this effect on this model. The decals were easy to work with, with each one requiring cutting individually. The authentic airlines decals help to bring it to life.

I have enjoyed this build, and it has encouraged me to do more conversions. In fact I am planning a B737-700 and B777-200(ER) in United and BA Landor respectively this year. Thank you for looking and as always any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alistair 

49651789891_f0a72ceaa1_b.jpg 49652050472_ce631a1dfc_b.jpg 49651253178_04a61e50be_b.jpg 49651789896_789ea1012e_b.jpg 49651776191_e21a14fbaa_b.jpg 49651239068_42326411df_b.jpg 49651239088_368fe4aa44_b.jpg 49651239528_8076b53a38_b.jpg 49652050452_c0040340b8_b.jpg 49651238958_64bb16aee1_b.jpg 49651238983_bd8fe9bee5_b.jpg 49651776161_a3ae2c10f3_b.jpg 49651238978_0deb635c88_b.jpg

49651776761_18f04f3639_b.jpg 49652049847_c9f13953c7_b.jpg

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 34

Lovely, smart bird. Great job.

Those AA decals seem a must. I'm working on my first ever airliner model (Alitalia MD-80) and considering ordering some of their decals.

Edit: Scratch that, they don't like the Maddog 😝

Edited by Shashman
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shashman said:

Lovely, smart bird. Great job.

Those AA decals seem a must. I'm working on my first ever airliner model (Alitalia MD-80) and considering ordering some of their decals.

Edit: Scratch that, they don't like the Maddog 😝

Thank you! I never used to use them and then got recommended them by some fellow modellers on here and I have used them since. They really add a sense of realism to the model. Haha... that’s funny about the MD-80!

Alistair

Well done Alistair. A superb result which really justifies all your hard work. I particularly like your excellent weathering. The WIP is a very useful tutorial and is tempting me towards a KLM -200(ER) at some point in the future.

Thanks for sharing and have a round of :clap2:

Dave G

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stringbag said:

Cracking job all round Alistair.  :thumbsup:

Chris.

Thank you Chris 😃

16 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Well done Alistair. A superb result which really justifies all your hard work. I particularly like your excellent weathering. The WIP is a very useful tutorial and is tempting me towards a KLM -200(ER) at some point in the future.

Thanks for sharing and have a round of :clap2:

Dave G

Thank you Dave. It was fun, and a new challenge which was good to have a go at. Thank you for the kind comment about the weathering, I’m still learning to get to grips with it and what I like and what works etc...

I hope it does encourage to build the KLM 772, I may end up with an army of B772s 😂.

Regards,

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Really nice! You've pushed the envelope in many ways with this one and learned some new skills. I know it's given you the confidence to try some more so I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Why did you not spray the white? I think getting to grips with your airbrush should be your next challenge. For me, it's down to paint consistency mainly and, as with a spray can, building up thin coats. A basic airbrush is fine you can easily do all you need.

Is there any chance you can touch up your engine intakes?

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Really nice! You've pushed the envelope in many ways with this one and learned some new skills. I know it's given you the confidence to try some more so I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Why did you not spray the white? I think getting to grips with your airbrush should be your next challenge. For me, it's down to paint consistency mainly and, as with a spray can, building up thin coats. A basic airbrush is fine you can easily do all you need.

Is there any chance you can touch up your engine intakes?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

Thank you very much, I hope I have done it justice. There is something simple but somewhat elegant to the BA livery, it’s so British 😃! I have learned a lot of different techniques with this build, and trying to grow in confidence with weathering... I’m getting there slowly. 

I did spray if, then the paint crazed really badly under the tape when I masked off the demarcation. This downhearted me somewhat, so resorted back to my brush. I have the Revell basic starter airbrush set, that I might try and have a go at getting used to. It’s just trying to figure out how to mix the Aqua colours ready for spraying etc... the last time I tried it was really bubbly when it reached the surface of the model. 

I will touch them up, I have just seen how they need tidying up. I think I messed them up when I was weathering inside the engines. 

Regards,

Alistair

On 13/03/2020 at 23:18, phildagreek said:

Looks good!

Thank you very much!

8 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Top job Alistair!

The BA livery is just lovely!

Thank you 👍🏻. I agree the BA is lovely, it’s relatively simple but elegant at the same time!

Alistair

• Like 1

She’s finally finished!!! And she looks like a proud bird! Nice work, Alistair. You jumped head first into the deep end with this project, and your persistence has paid off. Thank you for the inspiration. Like some others, this inspires me to pursue a 777... never built one before! I’m enjoying your weathering, too...looks like she’s worked hard. Really good job! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2020 at 16:29, Challenger350Pilot said:

She’s finally finished!!! And she looks like a proud bird! Nice work, Alistair. You jumped head first into the deep end with this project, and your persistence has paid off. Thank you for the inspiration. Like some others, this inspires me to pursue a 777... never built one before! I’m enjoying your weathering, too...looks like she’s worked hard. Really good job! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much, it was a challenge but one that I enjoyed, and also learnt a lot from. It has encouraged me with my next build, the BA Landor B777-200(ER). So I hope that turns out ok. Do it... it’s a rewarding feeling when it’s all done. Definitely looks like she has worked hard... thank you again 😃

Alistair

On 16/03/2020 at 06:57, Britman said:

So you want criticism? Well I have none! It's a lovely build and I do like the dirty wings.

Keith

Thank you very much Keith, that’s a great compliment to receive. They definitely show she has worked hard haha... gives it life and character.

Alistair

On 16/03/2020 at 16:22, Unfinished project said:

Nice to see Airliners built to this standard 👏👏👏

Thank you very much, I am still learning with how to perfect airliners weathering. There are so many techniques and things to weather. 

Alistair

On 16/03/2020 at 20:19, Paulaero said:

Very nice mate, for weathering read hard used in service, especially like the marks from the airbridge round the No 2 door ….. 

Thank you, I was hoping to bring life to the model and help it to not look like a toy. 

Alistair

On 16/03/2020 at 20:37, Stephen said:

Great work. 

Thank you 😃

Alistair