Albatros C IX scratchbuild finished at long last

Thanks for moving the thread.

I think I’m finally looking forward to finishing this one.

First off a quick recap. The CIX is pretty much a two seater DIII with new swept wings in a sesquiplane configuration. Three were built, but the type was never put into full scale production.

I’ll be finishing this as the second prototype which was converted for use as a transport plane for Manfred Von Richthofen, partly because of the historical interest and partly because the other two schemes are either boring ( first prototype) or way too complex ( third prototype) :) 

Next step, finish the interior and zip it up.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

Its a good subject Mark. I have been tempted but have been put off by the  fact that it has a highly curved top but a dead flat bottom of the fuselage and I couldnt think of a way for me to  make that with any confidence. It looks like you are well on track with it though.

• Thanks 1

This is so ridiculously impressive and so far out of my league/patience, that I can only look at your thread in awe.

Congratulations for the work you have already done!

JR

• Thanks 1

resized_0b32b1de-c811-4aaf-ae59-2a14e024milliput on.

2 hours ago, jean said:

This is so ridiculously impressive and so far out of my league/patience, that I can only look at your thread in awe.

Thank you. But remember it’s not the level at which you model it’s wether you’re enjoying your hobby. There are many modellers on the forums that are way better than me, but it’s so nice to learn from their work.  

• Like 7

On 11/17/2021 at 9:49 AM, matti64 said:

Its a good subject Mark. I have been tempted but have been put off by the  fact that it has a highly curved top but a dead flat bottom of the fuselage and I couldnt think of a way for me to  make that with any confidence. It looks like you are well on track with it though.

You’re welcome to my molds if you’d like. ( also assuming I can find them :) ) I managed to get a semi decent plunge mold out of them. They are in 1/48 which isn’t everyone’s ideal scale.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

resized_ed873d41-31b6-42df-9143-f1715da8I find my soldering skills are very hit or miss, but today they worked a treat first time. So notwithstanding a little filling the that’s the interplane struts sorted. I’m hoping for a fairly easy assembly.

resized_923bdeba-4262-4d18-a57d-fcf823f9

And here’s the current state of the component parts, I’ve given everything a coat of primer as I had done in the cup from another job and never like to waste things. The fuselage is almost done and the wings need trimming, shaping and done scribing. Oh and I’m pretty sure there’s a rudder floating around somewhere. 

Once the two high wing build are done I’ll probably concentrate on the KUTA collection, oh and of course my four remaining 109s

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

if yes to both then success!

Most definitely, even I was surprised. But tbh it’s  one of my few truisms that the more effort I put into my model engineering the more things go according to plan :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

resized_d43ec75c-2077-4c44-8800-398d7a7aThe lower wings have been trimmed snd shaped and the fuselage is pretty much finished. The plans show a scalloped trailing edge on the wings al a Fokker but I’m not sure that’s correct, I need to take a closer look at the photos and check it.

I’ve also cut the rudder off as I got the shape slightly wrong so I’ll have to go again for that.

Some assembly next. Then the undercarriage and I can start the paint work proper.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

resized_1d238c08-1676-4219-a61e-24ad1ab1wings assembled. It’s semi primed as I had a bit leftover from my other projects today.

resized_880936e4-8121-4e68-944a-30386f89And the rudder horizontal tail surfaces and undercarriage. I’ll get some wheels and the tail skid on next. Then it’s final cleanup before painting.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

resized_914e98c4-82ac-46f2-a723-c041f972Had some paint left in the cup after preshading the flagon and the tomcats so I couldn’t resist giving the CIX a coat of paint, even though it still needs a bit more filler and sanding very pleased with how it looks.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...