Albatros C IX scratchbuild finished at long last

Rummaging through my attic and found a very old MAP set of Albatros plans, with nothing better to do I went through the whole pack, all the B,C and D series, of all of them I liked the look of the C IX it’s essentially a two seat D series with ( for the time) a very unconventional wing arrangement.

49650657078_b983c06e28_c.jpg

The plans.

49650656958_cac9d1fc2d_c.jpg

Not having access to a photocopier any more and with time in my hands I decided to draw up some 1/48 sketches my hand, these will be my working drawings.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

Very interested in following this one Mark. I'd looked at scratchbuilding this one in the past using as much SMER  Albatros DV as possible, but I think , looking at the profile of the fuselage, the wings are  all that you might be able to use. The all red colour scheme is appealing though. Good luck and as usual I'll be following your work closely.

Actually if you compare the DIII ( I have three glencoe ones in the stash) the fuselage is very near, but I reckon the conversion might actually be harder than a scratch fuselage.

funny you should say red fuselage as I’d pretty much decided that the second prototype was probably that colour. 

Three were built. The first looks all natural wood and linen. Number 2 had green and purple wings and a dark coloured fuselage, since Richthofen used it as his personal transport and since I’d noticed that red tends to show up as a dark shade on contemporary black and white photos , I guessed it might be red.

Number three had a bomber style painted Lozenge pattern and I’d guess fabric lozenges on the wings, and I think was the only one that was armed.

i think I’ll shout fir no 2 , no 1 s too plain, no 3 would look good but those lozenges look like a nightmare to apply.

Now I did say I’d take down my wip a bit before starting anything new, (Snark, JI , tiger and 262 for March) so this might be a slow burn at first. 

Mind I’m looking at a DH5 ( sketches already done) and possibly a Siemens shuckers DI at the moment too :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

I go in phases. I generally complete a build every  month or so.

So  far this year I’ve finished a Walrus and a DH4a as well as a load of Airfix 1/76 armour (88mm, Churchill, T34 and a DUKW) and I will probably get the Snark the Tiger and maybe the JI done by the end of the month.

But I am a terror for starting many builds before finishing anything.

Thanks Joe. All praise appreciated. Hopefully I’ll get around to cutting some plastic this week I’m thinking I’ll go for a horizontal split in the fuselage. Makes it much easier to make the cockpit openings and detail the interior.

But I want to get the u/c on the Snark, all the struts on the JI and the Decals in the 262 HG III first.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

FWIW, those plans were used by Xtrakit to produce a rather nice 1/72nd vac (part of a series). No decals, but a few resin parts like prop, wheels and exhausts were included.  You still come across them sometimes.

BTW, the wings are not standard lozenge, they're large hexagons, with (apparantly) different colours. Lots of photos of the unarmed (Richthofens red runbabout_ one to be found on the interwebs, and there's a section on it in the Jack Herris book on late Albatros 2 seaters

Paul.

13 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Horizontal fuselage split! 

Much much easier to make the cockpit cutouts and also the interior can be done much later in the build. I did this in my Depredussin and the Gamecock and am also doing the caproni this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

the wings are not standard lozenge, they're large hexagons,

That would make sense. But much as I like the look of lozenge patterns I think I’ll still stick with the second machine. 

14 minutes ago, Marklo said:

That would make sense. But much as I like the look of lozenge patterns I think I’ll still stick with the second machine. 

Well, I've snookered myself with the kit I mentioned - innatentavely built it armed as far as needing painting and assembly of the wings, then realised that restricted my choices somewhat - and the wisdom on the colour of the hexes has changed over the years, so I'm totally unsure how to finish it, a state I reached about 4 years or so.  Anyway, It will be nice to see how yours looks when done. Good luck.

Paul.

Yes even though there plenty of photos around I can’t find any that show the wings of the third machine well. Given that the machine dates from 1917 I’d have thought printed lozenges, but they might have been the ones used in the latter Gotham and R types.

48 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Much much easier to make the cockpit cutouts and also the interior can be done much later in the build. I did this in my Depredussin and the Gamecock and am also doing the caproni this way.

Thanks.

That’s something I doubt I would have come up with. I shall definitely keep that in mind. 

• 3 weeks later...

49745449182_5b071558a1_c.jpg
After lots of sanding. Infill only the nose next not sure where to use wood or milliput. The milliput will be closer to finished size but will need more sanding. Overall a little filler needed in places.

• Like 1

49752172863_b94e0fd1d7_c.jpg

49753043376_b84f89ace6_c.jpg
It took two attempts but I now have a reasonable set of moulds. Had to do a little reconstruction on the upper one. I’ve cut the cupola out of one mold and attached it to the better of the two.

The upper shell was definitely at the limit of my plunge molding capability. But I didn’t feel up to getting the vac box out. Still serviceable result.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

Not at all familiar with the C IX and was wondering about the hump.  Looks as though you off to a good start, however.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Looking good! 

One thought - given that the sides are vertical and flat, you might want to consider building it as two flat sides with some bulkheads and then just using the curved top and bottom sections to fill between them?

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1