HMS Northumberland F238 - Where do I start?

Swamp Donkey

Hello from somebody who knows precisely nothing about floaty things. However, I've recently moved from 'down Sarf' to the banks of the River Tyne, and HMS Northumberland sailed up the river past our window a few weeks ago looking rather splendid and I feel inspired to build her in 1/350 scale. Now, this may be a huge assumption, but would the Trumpy HMS Westminster (F237) be the best starting point, as she was built in Wallsend around the same time? I appreciate that over the years there may have been an awful lot of modifications, so any pointers appreciated

Thanks in advance

SD

I can't answer the question about which kit but I'm sure someone else will soon be able to advise.  I would say though that Northumberland has had a fairly major weapon system upgrade since the Trumpeter kits were released.  She is now fitted with the Sea Ceptor missile system instead of the GWS 26 VL Seawolf.  This involves extending each of the missile launcher tubes, removing the Type 911 fire control radars and replacing the Type 996 surveillance radar with the Artisan one.  There are also added communication/data link aerials.   I saw recently in one of the warship model forums a discussion on this ( can't find it again) but the main news was that Peter Hall, who makes the masters for many warship models by White Ensign and Atlantic Models, intends to produce an upgrade set for the kit in the near future.  If you are doing Northumberland as she is now you will be best to wait a bit for this to be available.

Found the bit by Peter Hall on this in Steelnavy forum:

I have been working in slow time on a set of conversion parts, to upgrade the 1/350 Scale Type 23 Frigates.
I am going to speed up the process and get the patterns finished for the resin parts, which include the Sea Ceptor VLS Launcher, Artisan Radar, Radomes for Satcom and Data link and the Area where the 911 Fire Control used to be.
There will also be a new upgraded photo etched set that will include the improved mast head structure and the various antennas and bits and pieces that have been added recently.

• Like 1

Of course that assumes that you want to build her as she is now.  If, on the other hand you want to build her as she was say, 5 years ago, then the Trumpeter kit is a good starting point (even so, short of scratch building its probably your best option tat the moment.

As someone who builds predominantly RN ships, the best piece of advice I can offer anyone contemplating building a ship is research, research, research.  No 2 ships are ever the same, even when they leave the builder's yard.  You need to determine at which period in her life you wish to represent and then find the photos that depict her at that time.  The problem is that so much of the stuff that we find on the internet and even in books is incorrectly captioned. 

There's a really good build thread on here for HMS WESTMINSTER when all of these issues were discussed around things like whether she had DLF(2) or DLF(3) when that particular modeller's father was on board, what was the close range fit and so on.  Fortunately there's a pretty knowledgeable bunch on here who are always happy to help.

• Like 1

Hi Chewbacca

Just caught up with your reply, much appreciated and many thanks...will be my first venture in to any kind of ship, if indeed I ever get round to it

SD

• 1 month later...