North American F-107A UltraSabre

Hello Everyone... As my Condor Legion Ju.86 is nearing completion I will be gearing up for my next build. This will be Trumpeter’s 1/72 North American F-107A UltraSabre. This would have been built of course for the North American group build. I project a start sometime in the next week or so. Here are the sprue shots from a previously unopened kit. 
gIBamk1.jpg

0AnVQwT.jpg

KVkKH1S.jpg

k5O7Upv.jpg

ZPfq1X6.jpg

Ive done quite a bit of research with @72modeler and 99% sure will be going with the test scheme. Im not actually inspired by the test scheme and I still leave 1% open to a possible Whif scheme. I would need to find decals though for such a scheme. Most likely a former F-100 unit, or possibly F-105 unit from Europe circa early 1960’s. The theory being that these were competing with Republic for the same role, so F-105 units would also be good options. Maybe @RidgeRunner has some insights to this. I did reach out to him awhile ago via P/M but never got an answer. Questions, comments, and or thoughts please don't hesitate. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Excellent choice!  Looking forward to your progress with this.

It would be good to see what you did with a Whif scheme.  Like you say, the F-107A was in competition with the F-105, so any schemes for that type in the nuclear role in the 1960s would be cool ... and then that opens up possibilities for SEA camo schemes too, perhaps with some underwing pylons and a conventional load?  

Anyway, it's your model - make it your way!

• Thanks 1

Morning everybody... Well Ive been rather busy today and haven't got much done model wise. Drove 450 miles to take my kid to a friends Tattoo parlor on the far end of Illinois She wanted to get her first Tattoo, and while there I got one as well( payment for being a taxi/uber for her). It was pretty safe Covid wise as its a college town and all schools were cancelled until mid April. All the dim witted college urchins are in florida spring-breaking. 
      So I've only just begun on this and it is what will amount to a long slog. Here is the cockpit

J7hpt94.jpg

But there is no ifs ands or buts, the bang seat needs to be replaced. The kit one is really just a slab with two scrawls that are supposed to be belts. So I will have to buy a resin seat for an F-100 as its the closest i can think of to use. I may also try to locate decals for this to see what my options are for a Whif. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Nice to see this one underway Dennis.  It's an aircraft that somehow has passed me by - probably because Airfix never released a kit of it (the root of all my knowledge)!

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody...Finished up the cockpit today and glued the fuselage together. Once that was done I removed the pour-block from the bang seat and added arm-rests. I sat the seat in to the cockpit for the photo’s and to see how it fit. I think it looks good but I'm a bit biased. bRs8sXn.jpg

4I5ipWJ.jpg

eS4NAeW.jpg
Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

Excellent job so far Dennis. I've got the Collect Aire in the stash shelf, one day I may get to it. I thought about following the idea "Bondo" Brandt had of using a Monogram F-100 wing instead of the resin version. I do have a bunch of research material Aerophile issue profiling it and a Ginter publication of the F-107  if that would be of any help.

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

I do have a bunch of research material Aerophile issue profiling it and a Ginter publication of the F-107  if that would be of any help.

Any help you can give is gratefully appreciated. Im still on the fence as far as prototype scheme, I'm thinking of two options. One being the already mentioned service scheme of aluminum lacquer, ADC grey, or SEA camouflage. The other is a NASA scheme I found on an F-102 in overall dark gloss blue. Id love to have many of the collectaire or Fisher resin kits as they are some great subjects. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I'll scan these in for you, give me a day.I've picked up a few of the collect-aires over the years, mostly when someone puts them on evilbay for a ridiculously low  price near the original and not knowing what they're doing. I'm still on the look out for an F-108 Rapier. I had a crazy idea to do all the century series F-100 thru F-110 (F-4C). The F-109 no one makes so that would have to be scratch built and XP-54 Swoose.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The other is a NASA scheme I found on an F-102 in overall dark gloss blue.

Hello Everybody... here is the aforementioned NASA scheme. Though this photo shows blue Ive now come to wonder if it is faded black. 

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/jetregistry/f102-560998.html

This photo shows the same F-102 but makes it look Black ? 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1045783

This F-106 has a similar scheme and it is blue. 

https://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/crgis/images/8/8f/1982-L-10804.jpg

Thoughts anyone ? Id really consider doing the F-107 in this scheme. N.A. F-107A 55-5120 was seconded to NASA for testing purposes. So not out of the realm of plausible ? I have most of the components in the decal files to make this one up. So it wouldn't be hard to do either. 

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thoughts anyone ? 

What a puzzler!

From here, the F-106 actually looks mostly black (especially the sections at the front and back of the side decoration).  It goes blueish in the middle though - maybe reflections from the sky?

I had similar issues when I built a Japanese Naval Vertol last year.  Different colour photos of the same preserved example showed it looking either dark grey or blue.  It that case, we know that the true colour was actually dark grey - the blue appearance was an aberration.  So purely on basis of this, my vote for your build goes with black!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thanks @CliffB ... I was searching because it was bothering me. I actually found this online just now, in a copy of this book posted on an IPMS SIG. BJwgqFn.jpg

dQKLCjY.jpg

It comes from the F-102 detail & scale and if you read the second sentence it is a very dark blue. 

Dennis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It comes from the F-102 detail & scale and if you read the second sentence it is a very dark blue

Excellent!  I'm glad you've got that resolved :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello everyone... I was able to get some work done on this tonight. Its definitely not the best fitting kit in the world, another reason for me to steer clear of the NMF. The wing to upper fuselage fit quite well. The lower fuselage where the landing gear bays are ... ummm not so much. But if you look at this photo.

wOsm3MH.jpg

There are some gaps all over the central fuselage split. 
0dgkPfj.jpg

I painted most of the bang seat ⬆️ and test fit it with the canopy. ⬇️ ☹️ Good thing i didn't wait, as it sat proud by about 1.5mm’s. I sanded down the base as much as i could and reshaped the top to get it more like the actual seat used. 

knaVkwS.jpg

These rear windows ⬇️ are somewhat useless on the kit. There is no space between the rear canopy and plastic so there will be no visual through them ? 

Io3BH60.jpg

r3s1h81.jpg

c2AzYpI.jpg

It fits and looks much better now. This plane looks quite futuristic and this photo ⬇️ gives the impression of an arrowhead. 

wOsm3MH.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts please feel free to post. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Dennis if I remember right The F-107 only had natural metal at the rear around the Engine exhaust,like the F-100. The rest of the fuselage was silver paint. I 'll see if I can locate the linc where that's posted. Both the aircraft at the Air Force MUseam and at the Pima Air Museum are painted in dull silver. Great job so far!

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... So Im still figuring out some things for this build. I'm looking for opinions, so please chime in The NASA Deuce is 56-0998 but was given civilian registration # N617NA. 

dQKLCjY.jpg

The F-107A that NACA/NASA used serial # was 55120, but it never received a civilian #. Should i leave it as is or go ahead and make up a fictitious one ? The premise if my build being that instead of the 1+ year they actually operated the type. Im going with the idea that they operated it for say 7- 10+ years. Id lije to use N107NA for this. 

Ive checked with the FAA here in the U.S..

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N107NA

The number I want to use is N107NA, which is currently assigned to a North American T-28B Trojan in Oklahoma. But that was registered in 2010, so I could say the number was recycled after this was retired in 1971. They do recycle #’s after a plane is stricken and or scrapped. Please Let me now what your thoughts are with going down this route

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everyone... slowly but surely we get closer. 2xIwxxH.jpg

f9pkbgr.jpg

NtWa6yL.jpg

L7X6DUO.jpg

Sanding and re-scribing still continuing. Ive nailed the scheme in my head and Im pretty sure it will look good I'm looking for the Large white NASA Logo on the sides of the fuselage I have the letters in white but wrong font for NASA. If anyone thinks they have something please chime in or P/M me. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Ultra Sabre is interesting plane for sure - and was pretty good if I remember correctly. But it was just not meant to be.

Seems that there's bit of sanding involved, but it's not like we've got too options when it comes to 1:72 F-107 :)

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 7:17 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone... So Im still figuring out some things for this build. I'm looking for opinions, so please chime in The NASA Deuce is 56-0998 but was given civilian registration # N617NA. 

Or alternatively a QF-107A drone scheme similar to that worn by the real world QF-106:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Morning everybody... Well shes ready for paint. I glued the canopy on and when its dry i will mask the clear sections. I mounted the Vertical tail but its not glued in yet. The horizontal stabilizer’s are also glued up but may need a bit of sanding. DDr81q1.jpg

mhat7xO.jpg

qiX7nXI.jpg

Tomorrow will be the radome and undercoat of black for the bare metal sections. Mostly around the engine, speed brakes, and spoilers on the wing. If I can I will also spray the metal colors. Please feel free to ask questions, comment, and or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

Hello everyone... Well its official, the first paints on this. H4TDZMR.jpg

1GiiUfF.jpg

szFub9y.jpg

JvoNkvc.jpg

Ive decided to not cap and fill the gun ports. My story is that NASA left them in place as vents to cool internal instruments. The openings look like NACA Duct openings so they kind of fit. This will be cleared tonight so I can spray the metals tomorrow. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everyone... Sprayed the metal bits, according to these photo’s the engine housing area was unpainted. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-107

http://www.whiteeagleaerospace.com/north-american-f-107a/

So in going with that idea i sprayed the engine housing. Along with the auxiliary intake on top of the main intake. And the spoilers on both upper and lower wings. dzegypJ.jpg

IgYA81S.jpg

h05AlE3.jpg

EQ7Ui50.jpg

0mZRv98.jpg

yWDlMzx.jpg

Its hard too see here but the wings are tinted a blue color just to bring a bit of change. 

oc9NFxy.jpg

These will be cleared tomorrow and the ADC Grey will be next on Saturday. Please feel free to ask questions or post comments and or thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3