‘Mickey’ Martin’s Hampden - No. 455 Squadron, RAAF

Rabbit Leader

Just wondering if anyone knows the serial and codes for ‘Micky’ Martin’s (of Dambuster fame) Handley Page Hampden, when he and his crew served with No. 455 Squadron, RAAF. I believe they flew 13 sorties with this unit before moving on to No. 50 Squadron. Quite a number of years ago I worked with the daughter of Martin’s Navigator (Jack Leggo) and think it would be a nice tribute to perhaps try to model something in addition to 617’s P-Popsy Lancaster. 

Any other additional information about Martin and his crew would be of interest and duly appreciated. 
Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 2

A duplicate query to this question on Aussie Modeller International reminded me that the National Archives holds the Squadrons ORB. So with that information I decided to fork out the GBP3.50 and downloaded a copy (How bad is that PayPal exchange rate!!!). 

No. 455 Squadrons Feb 1942 ORB (12 pages) appears to be complete and suspect that there were no ops between 13-20 Feb due to bad weather conditions (my opinion only). 

On 21 February 1942, P/O Martin (Capt), P/O Leggo (Nav), Sgt Foxley (W/Op), Sgt Simpson (A/G) crewed Hampden Mk.1 P2065 'A' to the Rhine Valley, Coblens (Koblenz), Cologne - Up: 18:23 // Down 01:44. Listed under 'Details of sortie' "Nothing special to report. Test Burst - about 20 rounds".

This would 'appear' to be the first All-Australian crew to bomb a target within Germany. As no special mention was made in the ORB, perhaps they did not realise it at the time or this achievement was not as significant to the squadrons crew members? 

Other Hampdens crewed were - AE135 'C' (24 & 25 Feb) and AT189 'F' (27 Feb 42). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

Build that puppy, Dave! A great tribute model for the  daughter of Martin's navigator and his pilot. I wouldn't wait for Airfix to replace their original issue, but I know you can do a bang-up job on the old Airfix kit or the newer AZ/Valom release. As the Seekers so beautifully said, "I am; you are; we're all Australian!"

Mike

PS- Is this a 455 Sq, Hampden? (photo via Wikipedia Commins)

Handley_Page_Hampden_Mk_I_of_No.455_Squa

Just now found this! Is this your Hampden?

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/455-Hampden/HampdenTB_UB_A_of_455_Sqn_RAAF_001

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, I do have an Airfix Hampden and although she’s not up to the latest of standards is (IMO) still a do-able prospect (you know I’ve got a weird liking for these old clunkers). 

Now those photos are indeed of 455’s Hampdens, however AFAIK would have been taken when this unit switched to Coastal Command. I suspect that the colour photo would be pretty similar to Martin’s aircraft anyway so that’s a good guide. 

Like most modellers, I have enough on the go at the moment, so will need to delay this project until things get a little quieter (if ever?). 
Cheers.. Dave 

On the same sortie as Martin's minelaying Hampden it is recorded that "Pilot Officer Jimmy Catenach, captaining the squadron's first all-RAAF crew to take off on an operation, ........."

Source: RAAF Bombers Over Germany 1941-42 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/206774114?q&versionId=226910057

Edit - As per below, this was probably 24th February 1942

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

On the same sortie as Martin's minelaying Hampden it is recorded that "Pilot Officer Jimmy Catenach, captaining the squadron's first all-RAAF crew to take off on an operation, ........."

Source: RAAF Bombers Over Germany 1941-42 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/206774114?q&versionId=226910057

Not that I can see Ed. The scan is quite fuzzy, however there are six Hampdens listed as operating to Coblens on the 21st. Listed in this order - 

P2065 'A' - Martin (Capt's name)

P5325 'B' - Maloney 

AE128 'H' - Busfield (?)

AT184 'X with bar on top' - Dalton

P3329 'J' - Charlton

AT113 'F'' - Dainty (?)

To be honest, the only clear serial, code and pilots name appears to be Martin's, the others are what I can best make out even looking at the screen through an Optimisor. For the month of February, the first mention of Catenach's name appears to be the 24th, when he piloted Hampden AE442 'A with bar on top' to Heligoland Bight. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Martin also flew AT221 'D' on 10-11 Mar 42. Foxley is also spelled Foxlee and Foxlie on other ops. I paid for my download, so the quality might be better. That said, my interest in 455 ends after they left Wigsley. I'm sure that, years ago, I saw a photo of Martin buzzing the Wigsley tower in a book somewhere but that was before I started collecting info on Nottinghamshire airfields. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ossington said:

a photo of Martin buzzing the Wigsley tower in a book somewhere

I would love to see that photo. A similar (perhaps the same one) incident is recounted in the book quoted above. Martin was unlucky (or perhaps foolish) enough to do when AVM Slessor was in the control tower and was later royally dressed down by his CO, Grant Lindeman.

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

I would love to see that photo. A similar (perhaps the same one) incident is recounted in the book quoted above. Martin was unlucky (or perhaps foolish) enough to do when AVM Slessor was in the control tower and was later royally dressed down by his CO, Grant Lindeman.

Yes, but I bet he had his squadron mates' admiration and respect! I bet a Hampden buzz job was pretty sensational!

Mike