21 hours ago, Smithy said:

That day he was in QJ-Y (Y3268). Before this he had flown Z3040 (QJ-Z) a lot although not entirely exclusively.

Hi Smithy, what's the source for those serials? AFAIK there were no Y or Z series serials for Spitfires (they went straight from Xxxxx to AAxxx), it might be the code letter has been duplicated in error for the first letter of the serial?

Cheers, Stew

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Smithy, what's the source for those serials?

Hi Stew,

It's Tuck's logbook itself!

But I posted that early yesterday when I was in a rush and straight up forgot that Tuck had written the code letter first and then the numerical part of the code. So Z3040 should be N3040 (coded QJ-Z).

And it's the same with Y3268. This should be N3268 (coded QJ-Y).

Sorry for the confusion.

Tim

• Thanks 3

On 3/24/2020 at 7:20 PM, Troy Smith said:

which does list a reference photo, I'd be inclined to believe that V6555 had Hurricane Rotol though.

Yes, it's 'bullet' Rotol on V6555.

30 minutes ago, Dimmy said:

Yes, it's 'bullet' Rotol on V6555.

Do you know of a photo of V6555?   There is reputed to be one, but I have never seen one published.  

10 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Do you know of a photo of V6555?   There is reputed to be one, but I have never seen one published.  

Probably this one:

spacer.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dimmy said:

Probably this one:

First, not a 'bullet' Rotol in the photo.

The photo is taken after 257 sq encounter with the Corpo Aereo Italiano  on 11th November 1940., the chap sitting cross legged at the front is wearing an Italian helmet (and uniform?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo_Aereo_Italiano

Hmm, some  hunting turned up this very jingoistic bit of Pathe news reel,  linked to Tuck here, with 21 swastikas

This is the profile of V6555 that I suspect most others are based upon, from the 1974 PSL book, Famous Aircraft No.4, Hawker Hurricane, Their History and How To Model Them. 

note this was not used after Oct 17, and had 19 swastikas

28-jpg.141533

It lists a reference photo Via Bruce Robertson.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm, some  hunting turned up this very jingoistic bit of Pathe news reel,  linked to Tuck here, with 21 swastikas

Very helpful Troy as usual thanks for posting. Now seeing that @Heather Kay is working on three CAI aircraft I think she would line to see this video. It has some good shots of camouflage early on. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

First, not a 'bullet' Rotol in the photo.

Thank you for clarifications! So it's just a Rotol spinner?

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

note this was not used after Oct 17, and had 19 swastikas

Yes, thank you for your input. Here is the reason I thought it's V6555 on photo:
a) Here text says Tuck flew V6555 before V6864:
        spacer.png
b) And here text says V6555 was damaged and replaced by V6864 in Dec, 1940:
          spacer.png
Thus we could probably see a V6555 on a photo taken at 11th November 1940. Am I wrong with this logic by using non-correct sources?  

• 3 weeks later...

Ok more questions about the Man. He was wing Commander at Biggin Hill when he was shot down on a Rhubarb mission in January of 1942. What Wing # was it I cant seem to find that bit of info out ?  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 8 months later...

Question concerning Tuck.  In his book, he states he was given command of 92 after Bushell crashed.  But records show S/L Sanders took command on 25 May.  The book always referenced him in acting command of 92 and does not mention Sanders.  Is this a memory discrepancy?

On 7/3/2020 at 8:07 AM, Smithy said:

It's Tuck's logbook itself!

But I posted that early yesterday when I was in a rush and straight up forgot that Tuck had written the code letter first and then the numerical part of the code. So Z3040 should be N3040 (coded QJ-Z).

And it's the same with Y3268. This should be N3268 (coded QJ-Y).

Cork did the same in his detachment to the RAF.  I suspect it may have been common: does anyone know of any other examples?

1 hour ago, Nifti34 said:

Question concerning Tuck.  In his book, he states he was given command of 92 after Bushell crashed.  But records show S/L Sanders took command on 25 May.  The book always referenced him in acting command of 92 and does not mention Sanders.  Is this a memory discrepancy?

Hmm.  The Wikipedia entry for Tuck quotes the citation for his DFC (June), which refers to his "assuming command" after Bushell's loss, but obviously this was temporary.

Ok, reading through the Op records for 92 from the national archives, it looks like Tuck was flying N3192 (GR-L) on the first day of 92 combat, 23May’40 then due to damage, he flew N3249 (GR-P) on the morning of 24 May until L was repaired.  Does This sound accurate?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the Vb he was shot down in his score/tally only appeared on the port side of the aircraft and wasn't replicated on the starboard side.

The pic which appears to show it on the starboard side as well simply has the port side panel turned 180 degrees and then loosely fitted back.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 24/03/2020 at 17:20, Troy Smith said:

The final Hurricane is the Mk IIc, FM o A – Z3152. During 1941, 257SQN codes were changed from the well-known DT. It is thought that only one photo is available of this aircraft. Unfortunately, I did not receive permission to include it in this article. 

There are at least four photos of Z3152/FM-A. Available in some public domain. Just a little hidden. In a metter of weeks they will be known to every modeller.

• Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

And now let's come back to the DT-A V6864 - and its spinner.

There is a popular understanding that the spinner of this Tuck's aeroplane was red in the front area.

We made it this way in the 1/72 Arma Hobby model kit:

spacer.png

It is supported by the model, dated for 1950, in the Imperial War Museum collections:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30018327

There are black and white photos and a film, already shown in this thread, but, as @Bigos pointed, these can be interpreted in various ways. Do we have any other source material supporting the "red spinner version"? Tuck's memoires? Squadron documents? Ground crew report? Maybe it is only a myth?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 1:43 AM, Bigos said:

There are at least four photos of Z3152/FM-A. Available in some public domain. Just a little hidden. In a metter of weeks they will be known to every modeller.

I have a couple of the new 1/48 Arma Hobby IIC's underway. The black scheme seems popular (I'll plan to do it next), so thought I would start with the Tuck's Z3152 FM-A aircraft. After all, it is almost three years since my last DG/DE scheme. However, you are right, images of this aircraft are well hidden. Are the images in the public domain now? Any hints as to where to find them? @GrzeM have I missed them somewhere?

Ray  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I have a couple of the new 1/48 Arma Hobby IIC's underway. The black scheme seems popular (I'll plan to do it next), so thought I would start with the Tuck's Z3152 FM-A aircraft. After all, it is almost three years since my last DG/DE scheme. However, you are right, images of this aircraft are well hidden. Are the images in the public domain now? Any hints as to where to find them? @GrzeM have I missed them somewhere?

Ray  

CH 3742

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205444530

CH 3741

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205444529

CH 3744

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205444532

CH 3745

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205444533

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Ray  

8 hours ago, Bigos said:

Thanks anything dealing with Tuck’s aircraft is always welcomed. I still need to build a few more of his Hurricanes. & Spitfires. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know if there are any images or aircraft markings of Tuck’s Spitfire he flew while Wing Leader of the Duxford Wing prior to him leaving for America?  This would have been his last couple of kills in the Spitfire.  His log book just has Spitfire.  No aircraft S/N.  Guessing it still might of had his initials on it since he had just made Wing Commander.

• Like 1