Cape Hatteras Light 1” = 16’

The Cape Hatteras Light is a lighthouse located on Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks in the town of Buxton, North Carolina and is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The Outer Banks are a group of barrier islands on the North Carolina coast that separate the Atlantic Ocean from the coastal sounds and inlets.  In 1999, with the sea encroaching, the Cape Hatteras lighthouse had to be moved from its original location at the edge of the ocean to safer ground. Due to erosion of the shore, the lighthouse was just 15 feet (4.6 m) from the water's edge and was in imminent danger. The move was a total distance of 2,900 feet (880 m) to the southwest, placing the lighthouse 1,500 feet (460 m) from the current shoreline. All other support buildings at the site were also moved at the same time.

This is a model of the “new tower” as seen today and was completed in 1870. The model was produced by BlueJacket at a scale of 1” = 16’ (1/192).  The model height is 14 1/8” (35.9 cm).  This scale model is an operating replica, sending out a flash every seven seconds.

The octagonal base of the lighthouse and the model base was one piece of foam.  I opted to cut off the base and mount the octagonal base and tower on a piece of oak wood.  After drying the wood for a couple of years, it took three nights and lots of sanding to sand out all the chainsaw marks (you can see these marks on the bottom side in the last photo).  Once stained and varnished, the new base looks quite good.  I initially thought about mounting the model towards the rear of the base, but I changed my mind – hence the second drill hole.  The circuit board and wires were secured to the base using zip ties and staples.

As always, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Iain White

As seen today...

IMG_1393

IMG_1394 IMG_1450 IMG_1469 IMG_1470

• Like 14

I've read about this lighthouse, they're something I've had a long fascination with, standing as they do on some spectacular bits of seashore. I do like this one. I'm guessing though you meant the kit dated from 1970, not 1870? :)

Steve.