Two Latin American Corsairs (Italeri and Revell in 1/72)

Hello modellers!
I managed to finish two other projects. This time two Latin American Corsairs involved in the 100 hours or Soccer War of 1969. As my friend and fellow Britmodeller Luis Alfonso visited the Honduran aviation museum of Tegucigalpa recently and shared pictures of the famous Fernando Soto Henríquez F-4U5N, I took the opportunity to continue my already begun conversion of the 1/72 italeri kit. Parallel I started an FG-1D of the El Salvadorian airforce as counterpart, using the Revell 1/72 F-4U1D kit as I was especially intrigued by it´s unusual jungle camo. Both kits received some scratchbuilt modifications. The cowling of the Italeri Corsair was extended by about 3mm, the undercarriage moved backwards for about 1mm, giving the gear doors a little distance from the leading edge and a new canopy was vacuformed. The original machine seems to be restored recently, so my build depicts and earlier state. I tried to scratchbuilt the ordnance as good as I could from reference pics, using bombs from the Hasegawa weapons sets and wooden toothpicks for the rocket launchers. The Salvadorian Corsair received wing pylons and rockets which were made from styrene sheet and toothpicks. The attempt to sand down the overhead strakes in the canopy, the thin part broke and I had to vacuform a new part for this build, too. Both models were painted with self-mixed Humbrol and Revell enamels. The decals were self-printed and collected from the spares box.
Hope you like the unusual duo
                                                        Mario

D3FBX5A.jpgxCsdsrz.jpgNldvxJ8.jpgP3xlQfz.jpg6Nnkect.jpgyijRoFI.jpg

• Like 32

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful pair added to your masterpiece shelves!!!

I have watched the nice finish of both birds and realty enjoyed the great result you have obtained after this lengthy build with all that mishaps and progresses, all the very best result of the idea in the wonderful Kempen AFB landscape!!!.

Really I watch you have captured the real feeling of both builds and now that you have enjoyed piston props from central America, what about a nice Guatemalan FAG Mustang??? Or better, what about a nice collection of Central American Mustangs from Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rican birds???... Without a doubt it would be a nice power force together in one place.

Thank you ve5y much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Thank you very much, Wulfman, Valery, binbrook87, Sashman and Nephew Luis Alfonso!

2 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful pair added to your masterpiece shelves!!!

I have watched the nice finish of both birds and realty enjoyed the great result you have obtained after this lengthy build with all that mishaps and progresses, all the very best result of the idea in the wonderful Kempen AFB landscape!!!.

Really I watch you have captured the real feeling of both builds and now that you have enjoyed piston props from central America, what about a nice Guatemalan FAG Mustang??? Or better, what about a nice collection of Central American Mustangs from Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rican birds???... Without a doubt it would be a nice power force together in one place.

Thank you ve5y much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

With your expert help will build so many of them that people may think Kempen is a town somewhere in Central America. Maybe another antechamber...😉

Cheers!

• Like 2

Very nice, Mario :). I have a Tamiya F4U-1D awaiting my time to build her as a FAS machine. One day!

Keep spreading the word ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Thank you very much, Martin, Malcolm, F-32 and unfinished project for the kind comments. Very much appreciated!

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Mario :). I have a Tamiya F4U-1D awaiting my time to build her as a FAS machine. One day!

Keep spreading the word ;)

Martin

And I have a Tamiya Mustang in the stash. Perhaps something for a Guatemalan P-51...

Edited by Mario
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 4:44 AM, SoftScience said:

Fantastic!

The Salvadoran camouflage looks great! I don't think I would have that kind of patience.

And it's always great to see something from the world's less known airforces.

Thank you very much. Indeed the Latin American airforces have some interesting subjects in their rows. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 8:52 PM, djos said:

Beautiful models.

Especially like the camouflaged one, that was not an easy task, but you done it....perfectly

Regards Djordje

Hello Djordje!

Thank you very much for the comment! Indeed the paintwork of the Salvadorian Corsair took a lot of time and patience.  The homemade decals made things even more complicated as they needed a white undercoat to remain visible on the camo...😳

Cheers,

Mario

On 3/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mario said:

Thank you very much, Wulfman, Valery, binbrook87, Sashman and Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

With your expert help will build so many of them that people may think Kempen is a town somewhere in Central America. Maybe another antechamber...😉

Cheers!

Well, you've got it, then  you'll take it away...have been looking  for  a nice collection of Tomahawks, Warhawks, Lightnings, Airacobras, King Cobras, Mustangs and Thunderbolts from all  Central American  Air  Forces... so  better if will be looking around in your Eldorado Stash Place-EDSP- what you can have and get ready, because as soon the collection is ready will be shared with you to start, as a squared flag, the run for the most nice and fine collection of warbirds and as nicely you said:Kempen will be turned in the most beautiful wardbird capital city here in the deep heart of Central America!!!

Keep on and Go ahead!!!

Cheers, 

Luis  Alfonso

On 3/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, Mario said:

And I have a Tamiya Mustang in the stash. Perhaps something for a Guatemalan P-51...

Mmmmm...

OK Sir, just say the Magic Words...Which Version???? 😉

Edited by Luis Alfonso