Another Phantom STGB Chat - Poll open.

DaveJL

@Bertie Psmith Keep an eye on those Phantoms...they have a nasty habit of propagating if left to their own devices.  I know my Phantom collection is spiraling out of control.  Even when I say "enough is enough"....more seem to find their way here.  (3 more currently enroute from Japan & Missouri as we speak...and I know I'm going to "need" 2 more late Es for HAF & Iranian schemes which I already have decals for).  :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, helios16v said:

@Bertie Psmith Keep an eye on those Phantoms...they have a nasty habit of propagating if left to their own devices.  I know my Phantom collection is spiraling out of control.  Even when I say "enough is enough"....more seem to find their way here.  (3 more currently enroute from Japan & Missouri as we speak...and I know I'm going to "need" 2 more late Es for HAF & Iranian schemes which I already have decals for).  :mental:

The thing, the thing that bothers the less manic side of my personality, the thing is.... I've never made it to the end of a Phantom build though I've tried several times over the years. I don't know why that should be, I just phumble and phluster and phluff up the whole phlamin' phing every phlippin' time. And I lurve the aeroplane like a third former loves the gym mistress. Anyway, sensible side of me, don't worry. This time, this time I WILL BE MAGNIPHICENT!!!

I think I need to lie down for a while...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/07/2021 at 06:04, trickyrich said:

I had actually started one of these for the ANZAC GB, but unfortunately some dodgy ZM decals sort of killed it right towards the end on the build!!  :crying: But I will revive it at a later stage as I so want one in my collection.

You gotta go 1/48th to do this wonderful beast justice!!! :thumbsup:

The ZM kit has everything you need to build an RAAF operated F-4E, from the initial "straight from the factory" aircraft to the ones that were sent back with all the additional modifications that were done.  New seats, kit ones don't have seat belts, and tyres are really the only extras you need for her. Unfortunately a pricy choice and a little bit hard to find.

The Hasegawa one would work but i haven't worked out what bits you need to change to make one....well the ones straight from the factory. Plus the kit is getting on a bit so you can throw plenty of AM stuff on her to tart her up nicely.

The others in 1/48th.......hmmmm

Colour was the standard USAF SEA colours: Tan FS.30219, Medium Green FS.34102, Dark Green FS.34079, with Light Grey FS.36622 undersurfaces. They were only in use for a short time and were in really good condition paint wise.  If using the ZM n=model, the detail is just so nice and fine I'd really recommended using Lacquer based paint to make the most of it! AK's Real Colours does a nice set of the 4 colours, I used them for mine.

Markings....hmmm a bit hit-n-miss with quality. The Maketar roundel masks are the way to go, I have a set for the re-furb of mine. The Novascale RAAF F-4E Phantom decals (I have a set of those as well for all the other decals I need, which is not that many for a RAAF bird), are not too bad compared to some of their other releases!! I would avoid the Hawkeye Models ones (I used originally), they're not great quality wise and a right pain to use.

I'd ditch the ZM decals for the (ie gazillions of ) stencilling , I'm not the first to have had issues with them, better to get yourself the Speed Hunter Decals  for the Phantom's stencils. The ZM ones "silvered" badly, even on gloss with setting solution, then later just fell off!

Stores wise 99% of all the photos out there only show them with drop tanks and AIM-7 Sparrows fitted plus empty Triple Ejector Racks fitted sometimes.

Plus this is a great site for info on the aircraft plus some good photos as well.

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/3a69.htm

You have to build one...in any scale, a must for any Phantom collection........ not that I'm bias in any way!!! :D Let me know if you need anything else, have squirrelled away lots of useless info! 

I've googled for the decals/stencils but to no avail I have seen different stencils but not sure which I need, and the roundels I guess I need the ones with the roo in the centre no joy yet either decals or masks. Any help/ideas greatly appreciated.

Dave

1 hour ago, Bbdave said:

I've googled for the decals/stencils but to no avail I have seen different stencils but not sure which I need, and the roundels I guess I need the ones with the roo in the centre no joy yet either decals or masks. Any help/ideas greatly appreciated.

Dave

Here are some RAAF roundel masks

https://shop.maketar.com/?product=132-raaf-roundels-modern-copy

I'd also advise pre cut masks to make life easier. I've got a set of these that look the business.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/new-ware-nwam0852-f-4e-early-f-4ej-kai-phantom-ii-expert-kabuki-masks--1344283

And depending on whether you want your exhaust nozzles open or closed there are these masks

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/new-ware-nwam0854-f-4e-early-f-4ej-kai-phantom-ii-exhaust-nozzles-parts-i11-kabuki-masks--1344285

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/new-ware-nwam0853-f-4e-early-f-4ej-kai-phantom-ii-exhaust-nozzles-parts-i10-kabuki-masks--1344284

As for seatbelts I've bought these (there's also a grey version for Navy Phantoms if anyone's interested) and plan to use them with the kit seat. Though if you go for a resin seat they may have them moulded in.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hgw-models-148540-f-4-phantom-army-seatbelts--990085

Fine Moulds also make this one that looks good

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/finemolds-nc10-modern-aircraft-seatbelt-set-4--1079702

1 hour ago, Bbdave said:

Dave

I can't remember what scale you are thinking about but Maketar as mentioned is the place to go for 1/48th insignia masks, I have a set of these,

https://shop.maketar.com/?nationality=australian

You dod sometimes see RAAF modern decals sets show up on evilBay, but they ar hard to get.

Stencilling is straight from the factory, so any good stencil decal set will do, they were covered in stencils just like their USAF counterparts!

The RAAF Phantom's had no unique badging or markings. They just had the RAAF roundels and serial numbers, these serial number styles may have been a different style to the factory/USAF ones, I'm not 100% sure.

These serial numbers will be the hardest to find, but they do show up on evilBay every so often. I'd personally go for the Novascale ones first (N-48036) , if you can find them, rather then the Hawkeye ones, but if either of them show up then grab then as I can't say when you'll see any more around. Both of these set have full roundels and serial numbers included.

Just do a search every so often for them, that's what i had to do, Novascale sort of releases old sets every so often i think.

20 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

STOP PRESS ... HANNANTS HAVE STOCK OF TAMIYA PHANTOM ... MESSAGE ENDS.

They're not that hard to find in stock Australia at the moment. Here's two with stock at the moment

https://www.metrohobbies.com.au/collections/model-kits-just-arrived/products/tamiya-61121-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-phantom-ii-plastic-model-kit

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-tamiya-models-tm-61121-1:48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-phantom-ii

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

STOP PRESS ... HANNANTS HAVE STOCK OF TAMIYA PHANTOM ... MESSAGE ENDS.

Mine is on the way from Scale Model Shop. Cheapest in the UK that I could find with free delivery!

I thought I had put my name down for this one, but obviously did not. I have some Fujimi kits and a shed load of old Modedecal sheets and so an RAF version from the seventies beckons. The kit decals look a bit ropey now and so I might invest in a Hannants stencil sheet. 

I thought I had put my name down for this one, but obviously did not. I have some Fujimi kits and a shed load of old Modedecal sheets and so an RAF version from the seventies beckons. The kit decals look a bit ropey now and so I might invest in a Hannants stencil sheet. 

On 7/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, helios16v said:

Keep an eye on those Phantoms...they have a nasty habit of propagating if left to their own devices. 

Really? what makes you say that? I can't imagine....

y4m5TtDStZgg6I6MueGsR3M9ByU2Hbd2X0wJ_v2k

--

oh, a perusal in the legacy bookcase turned up this:

y4mU5EpmYRmXd97MP-eXAw8T7C5r2ky5CAOM1N4P

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hannants' price for a pre-ordered copy was £89.99 but I think I'll be charged postage too.

That's what I got it for but post free!

27 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

That's what I got it for but post free!

I've never used Scale Model Shop because when I tried they seemed less than transparent about their postage charges. I believe I had to authorise payment before they would tell me (this very likely to  have been my misunderstanding, of course). I take it from your endorsement that they can be trusted?

5 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've never used Scale Model Shop because when I tried they seemed less than transparent about their postage charges. I believe I had to authorise payment before they would tell me (this very likely to  have been my misunderstanding, of course). I take it from your endorsement that they can be trusted?

Well the order was paid for a few weeks ago, invoice sent and I've received updates from Royal Mail that the item will be here on Saturday. Once it arrives I'll be able to confirm fully.

Hannants' price for a pre-ordered copy was £89.99 but I think I'll be charged postage too.

Easy to spend another £10 and get it post free? Or Jadlam Racing have it for the same price and are free P&P.

7 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Well the order was paid for a few weeks ago, invoice sent and I've received updates from Royal Mail that the item will be here on Saturday. Once it arrives I'll be able to confirm fully.

7 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Easy to spend another £10 and get it post free? Or Jadlam Racing have it for the same price and are free P&P.

I don't really care because, like you both probably, I'm already salivating over this kit. lol

Ouch that's frighteningly expensive!!! 

I got mine from Hobby Link Japan with express courier for $145 Oz..... prob 10p your money!!! :D (ok 80 pounds), only took 3 days to get here. Take about another $30 off for normal Airmail

Currently they have them in stock and discounted for (they say "in stock  3-5 days" for everything) for $81 OZ (42 Pounds).

I really don't need a second one but at that price! The ZM versions are a wee bit more expensive at around $105 Oz for all versions...sorry no E's or EJ's available!. 

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Ouch that's frighteningly expensive

I disagree with that, Rich. It's quite a lot of money and its quite a lot of model kit. So actually, it's great value to me.  I'll be smiling from the postman's knock to the Ready for Inspection, you'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I disagree with that, Rich. It's quite a lot of money and its quite a lot of model kit. So actually, it's great value to me.  I'll be smiling from the postman's knock to the Ready for Inspection, you'll see.

Everyone forgets to fair in the value of their time.  How many hours are you going to spend total on a kit like that 10? 20? 30?

Now compare that to spending the equivalent time at the pub, on the golf course, shooting range, out to dinner,  on a race track, weekend getaway, strip clubs etc. Compared to other hobbies and past times the $/hr figure works out pretty cheap once you put the investment in the start up costs. 

Then there's the value of your enjoyment. It's worth spending the extra money on a nice kit you'll enjoy working with. Why waste time fighting a lesser kit? 

The one exception is for those out there who enjoy the challenge of getting top results from older/cheaper/inaccurate kits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Ouch that's frighteningly expensive!!! 

I got mine from Hobby Link Japan with express courier for $145 Oz..... prob 10p your money!!! :D (ok 80 pounds), only took 3 days to get here. Take about another $30 off for normal Airmail

Currently they have them in stock and discounted for (they say "in stock  3-5 days" for everything) for $81 OZ (42 Pounds).

I really don't need a second one but at that price! The ZM versions are a wee bit more expensive at around $105 Oz for all versions...sorry no E's or EJ's available!. 

I'd take another at that price but probably a lot more to ship to the UK!

8 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I'd take another at that price but probably a lot more to ship to the UK!

Edit, it's not saying how much shipping is :lol:

Double edit, it's £39 for a Tamiya F-14 to be shipped to the UK so I imagine the F-4 would be the same!