Another Phantom STGB Chat - Poll open.

DaveJL

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Fingers crossed Quinta gets that new F-4B cockpit out intake for this GB!!

Red Fox have a good looking set for the Academy F-4B kit that could possibly fit or be made to fit the Tamiya kit

https://www.rfstudio.hu/termek/220

40e38d43a44baa0bd4426859ed53d209.jpg

edc9acaf8464dbffb879fde97a825d38.jpg

f6ca565ba35aec59cabdf440f0356a30.jpg

a6b4257b27b7c2cccaf57d50992101f2.jpg

de21ae0570046586d67aa03529d89dae.jpg

Edited by Gidge
typo
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Gidge said:

Red Fox have a good looking set for the Academy F-4B kit that could possibly fit or be made to fit the Tamiya kit

https://www.rfstudio.hu/termek/220

They look amazing but this time I'm going to go old school and use paint and decals supplied. Maybe on a less refined kit though...

• Like 1

Does anybody know if after market lowered leading edge flaps are available for a Hasegawa 1/48 Royal navy phantoms FG1

I was planning to build an 892 sqdn phantom in catapult configuration but there is no point unless I can build it with full flaps configuration

As a newbie I am reluctant to carve up the wing and ruining the kit and buying a second Revel kit seems a bit extreme just to get the wing section to convert

2 hours ago, Tony G said:

Does anybody know if after market lowered leading edge flaps are available for a Hasegawa 1/48 Royal navy phantoms FG1

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/wolfpack-wp48069-f-4k-m-british-phantom-hard-wing-flap-down-set--173997 

Good luck finding a set -- there may be one available here.. 

Good discussion in this BM 2014 build.

Gene K

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/wolfpack-wp48069-f-4k-m-british-phantom-hard-wing-flap-down-set--173997 

Good luck finding a set -- there may be one available here.. 

Good discussion in this BM 2014 build.

Gene K

Thank you so much for the info, managed to order flaps from MBK in Germany.  Downside had to spend Over 30 euros for an order to the UK with 21 euro postage so had to buy other bits as well so purchased a wing fold kit for my other phantom.  Please don’t tell the wife. 

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Thank you so much for the info, managed to order flaps from MBK in Germany.  Downside had to spend Over 30 euros for an order to the UK with 21 euro postage so had to buy other bits as well so purchased a wing fold kit for my other phantom.  Please don’t tell the wife. 

I can't wait to see what you will do with them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

For me kit tyres are like kit exhaust cans, some are good and some well........... Most of the time there is no side wall detail at all and they just never seem to be quite right size wise. Detail issues the same with the exhaust cans. Both of these I replaced on the Tamiya F-14 (will do in the AMK one as well). You spend big money on one of these beasts you want/expect to have the best detail, so things that take it to 11 are a must.

Same here Rich, ejection seats, tyres and cans make a good build even better.  I replaced these items on my Tamiya F-14s and will do the same with these F-4 kits and of course I hardly ever use the kit decals unless they are printed by Cartograf. As you say, if we don't buy these items the companies will go bust.

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I haven't gotten up close and personnel yet with the new Tamiya beast..... am trying to resist, but the exhaust cans look better than the F-14's were, the wheels.... I'll have to wait and see. Bang seats are a no brainer here, no seat belts or detail.... just decls! Plus I need the earlier MB Mk.5's for aircraft I'm building, the kit is Mk.7's if i'm not mistaken.

The Tamiya F-4B seats are the Mk.7's and while they are not bad I think resin will be better.  I have some Eduard Brassin Mk.7's and Hypersonic Mk.5's that I bought for the Academy F-4B but I'm waiting on either the Eduard "Space" or Quinta 3D printed cockpit set, the best one gets my money  (The Mk.5 seats are for VF-41 and VF-84 F-4B's on the USS Independence, 1964)

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

The Tamiya F-4B seats are the Mk.7's and while they are not bad I think resin will be better.  I have some Eduard Brassin Mk.7's and Hypersonic Mk.5's that I bought for the Academy F-4B but I'm waiting on either the Eduard "Space" or Quinta 3D printed cockpit set, the best one gets my money  (The Mk.5 seats are for VF-41 and VF-84 F-4B's on the USS Independence, 1964)

I need Mk.5's for my VF-31 bird, they only operated the F-4B's from 66 to 67, so well before the seats were upgraded to Mk.7's.

Oh dear.......... I can see another Tamiya F-14A coming to the stash later this year!!!!  They're re-releasing the F-14A but in a "Carrier Launch Set"! With deployed Flaps & Slats, "kneeling" nose gear, all the late model F-14A bits, launch shuttle and "Shooter" and cardboard deck (well that can be replaced!). Forget about the last bits, but a late model A with Slats & Flaps with Tamiya's removable wings!!  :wub:

Sorry I get side tracked easily.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Oh dear.......... I can see another Tamiya F-14A coming to the stash later this year!!!!  They're re-releasing the F-14A but in a "Carrier Launch Set"! With deployed Flaps & Slats, "kneeling" nose gear, all the late model F-14A bits, launch shuttle and "Shooter" and cardboard deck (well that can be replaced!). Forget about the last bits, but a late model A with Slats & Flaps with Tamiya's removable wings!!  :wub:

Sorry I get side tracked easily.

Recon it'll make it in time for the upcoming Tomcat group build?

• Like 1

, I already have the older version already for this (with a mountain of AM for it), so just really would just need to swap over the box! :D

Plus heard today that my 1/32nd Viggen will be here intimate for the Scandi GB, it may even be here this month!! :frantic: :wub:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I need Mk.5's for my VF-31 bird, they only operated the F-4B's from 66 to 67, so well before the seats were upgraded to Mk.7's.

Yes, you will need Mk.5 seats, the F-4B was upgraded in 1968 to Mk.7 seats, slotted stabs were added and the main u/c legs were strengthened resulting in that small bump on the wing upper surface over the u/c legs.  Luckily both Academy and Tamiya have included the upper wing bump as a separate part so no surgery involved making an early F-4B.  Tamiya include both slotted and un-slotted stabs so it's just the seats and decals that need to be sourced. :winkgrin:  (I will use Hypersonic seats and Furball decals)

• Like 2

My Tamiya F-4 kit arrived yesterday and it's gone straight to the top of the build pile. Good thing this GB isn't too far away!

The detail looks sublime throughout, much like their F-14, which is an absolutely brilliant kit. I've set of Hypersonic MB MK 5 seats for it that I've had in the stash for over a year. Other than that it will be pretty much out of the box... well I won't give too much away just yet.

On a side note, would anyone be willing to act as co-host? I'm away for 12 days during the GB and along with work commitments might not have as much time as I'd like to fo through all the threads etc in good time.

3 hours ago, DaveJL said:

My Tamiya F-4 kit arrived yesterday and it's gone straight to the top of the build pile. Good thing this GB isn't too far away!

The detail looks sublime throughout, much like their F-14, which is an absolutely brilliant kit. I've set of Hypersonic MB MK 5 seats for it that I've had in the stash for over a year. Other than that it will be pretty much out of the box... well I won't give too much away just yet.

On a side note, would anyone be willing to act as co-host? I'm away for 12 days during the GB and along with work commitments might not have as much time as I'd like to fo through all the threads etc in good time.

I know I was told in the service to never to volunteer for anything........

........but am willing to help out here while you're away..... plus get to drool over all the Tamiya F-4's that are being built.  :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

My Tamiya Kit arrived today! Exciting! I haven't looked inside yet but I'll soon be studying the instructions for bedtime reading. (Not that I'll follow them...)

.... that could be dangerous!! :D  Try not to loose any parts in the bed!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

.... that could be dangerous!! :D  Try not to loose any parts in the bed!

I can report that my parts are completely intact this morning. (They remained safely bagged throughout.)

However, my plans are in disarray. The colourful high vis schemes included are so compelling that I instantly began to doubt the wisdom doing two of the (boring ?) jungle greens. 

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2021 at 11:11 PM, trickyrich said:

I know I was told in the service to never to volunteer for anything........

........but am willing to help out here while you're away..... plus get to drool over all the Tamiya F-4's that are being built.  :D

Good man Rich!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I can report that my parts are completely intact this morning. (They remained safely bagged throughout.)

However, my plans are in disarray. The colourful high vis schemes included are so compelling that I instantly began to doubt the wisdom doing two of the (boring ?) jungle greens. 

Using my alien telepathic abilities acquired when I was abducted by aliens.... and yes they carried out those special "Tests!!!" :analintruder:.......  I can see future Tamiya F-4B's being added to the stash!! :rofl2:

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Good man Rich!

..... I'll let you know at the end of this madness!!!

• Haha 2

I gave my parts a full exam this morning. That Tamiya fellow has done it again! The surface detailing is so beautifully fine that I'm wondering how I'll paint it without obliterating everything. It must be pretty close to being 'in scale'.