Another Phantom STGB Chat - Poll open.

DaveJL

9 hours ago, Gidge said:

Photos of their high vis markings are quite striking. 

It's a difficult choice. I like all the options that Tamiya have provided. 

Ray

• Like 1

On 30/06/2021 at 00:49, Ray_W said:

It's a difficult choice. I like all the options that Tamiya have provided. 

Ray

I just stumbled on this video which shows all markings and all kit configuration options side by side. I hope that helps you choose

• Like 1

I have just been informed that I have one of these on the way from Japan and it should be here next week!!!! :yahoo: Plus even better, the model + postage from Japan, is way cheaper than I can from here!!! Though It cost me a wee bit more this time as I used courier delivery because I couldn't wait!!! :bounce:

I had been planning to build a VF-31 Tomcatters F-4J (the Academy model) for this one and a VF-31 F-4B (again Academy)at a later stage. But with the imminent arrival of the Tamiya beast this will all change.

So for this build it'll be the Tamiya F-4B in VF-31 scheme, OOB, can't wait to see what it's like.... can they exceed the quality of their F-14's!!!!! 🥰

I may even have to sell my Academy models to make room for future Tamiya Phantoms!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Greg B said:

Might as well sling me in for a Tamiya F-4B. Got a 32 scale Tamiya F-4S conversion on the go but its more like 75% done ;) 

I wonder how many more of these will show up? I suspect they'll be a hot item.

well she has arrived and it looks to be even better than I had hoped....even better than the Zoukei-Mura version as well!

IMG_5941-L.jpg

She looks to include "extra" bits for future model as well, F-4J next?

IMG_5942-L.jpg

An interesting way they have gone about the front fuselage section, a sort of simple way to get around versions having and not having builtin refuelling probes.

IMG_5943-L.jpg

Plus the scheme/decal guide sheets are full colour and in 1/48th as well.

IMG_5944-L.jpg

Can't wait for this build to start now!

• Like 4

Looking good. I got an email from Hearn's Hobbies in Melbourne on the weekend to say they've got their shipment and now they're sold out. They're certainly a hot ticked item.

They are also developing their own aftermarket resin parts they'll be offering as a bundle
https://www.hearnshobbies.com/products/tamiya-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-phantom-ii-hearns-exlclusive

I'm keen to know what you think as you build her and how it compares to the Zoukei-Mura

49 minutes ago, Gidge said:

Looking good. I got an email from Hearn's Hobbies in Melbourne on the weekend to say they've got their shipment and now they're sold out. They're certainly a hot ticked item.

They are also developing their own aftermarket resin parts they'll be offering as a bundle
https://www.hearnshobbies.com/products/tamiya-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-phantom-ii-hearns-exlclusive

I'm keen to know what you think as you build her and how it compares to the Zoukei-Mura

I've just been drooling and fondling all over the sprue tree.......had a wee private moment!! 🥰 I'll have to drag out one of my ZM models to check, but the detail on the this model is so nice and fine, plus the moulding is in a class of it's own, stunning!! You can see for all that blank spots in the trees and the parts not used that more goodness in other versions are on the way!

I ended up getting this Hobby Link Japan, did the pre-order bit and a couple of days later got the message it was ready to ship. Couldn't wait so got it DHL'd, all up it cost only $20 more (inc shipping) than they're going for here!

Not really sure it needs any extras (can't believe I just said that!), maybe ejection seats or at least the belts and maybe wheels, the rest is just that good!

EDIT: just looked at that "Hearns Exclusive"..... not worth the extra money... costs way more than mine did!

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Not really sure it needs any extras (can't believe I just said that!), maybe ejection seats or at least the belts and maybe wheels, the rest is just that good!

Until they've been out there for a bit and a few people have built them it's hard to tell where there's room for improvement. Fine Moulds and HGW Models both offer 1:48 scale Phantom seatbelts.

Fine Moulds

https://www.finemolds.co.jp/NC/NC10.html

HGW

https://hgwmodels.cz/en/textilni-pasy/517-f-4-phantom-army-seatbelts-148-148540.html

https://hgwmodels.cz/en/textilni-pasy/518-f-4-phantom-navy-seatbelts-148-148541.html

I've got a set of the "Army" (green) HGW ones to go with my Zoukei-Mura EJ Kai which is my next project. They look the business but the real test will be attempting to build with them. They could potentially be draped across crew figurines.

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I've just been drooling and fondling all over the sprue tree.......had a wee private moment!! 🥰 I'll have to drag out one of my ZM models to check, but the detail on the this model is so nice and fine, plus the moulding is in a class of it's own, stunning!! You can see for all that blank spots in the trees and the parts not used that more goodness in other versions are on the way!

I ended up getting this Hobby Link Japan, did the pre-order bit and a couple of days later got the message it was ready to ship. Couldn't wait so got it DHL'd, all up it cost only $20 more (inc shipping) than they're going for here!

EDIT: just looked at that "Hearns Exclusive"..... not worth the extra money... costs way more than mine did!

Hard to tell with their useless pictures but I'm incline to agree. I can't see how it's worth an extra $40 AUD over their list price for the vanilla kit. Though it may be something for early adopters who want to set their build apart or do something a little bit different.  That said I'm happy to be proven wrong. If someone gets one or someone from Hearns happens to read this could you please post some better pictures?

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 16:13, trickyrich said:

Just had a box of 4 arrive, 2 for club members and mine. May not even make this weekend remaining in the box never mind the GB.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

Just had a box of 4 arrive, 2 for club members and mine. May not even make this weekend remaining in the box never mind the GB.

With new lockdowns here I'm guessing a few won't last long

15 hours ago, Greg B said:

haha, mine is already out of the box and bags, have been pawing over all that loveliness. Plus I even have some AM stuff on the way for here in the form of HGW seat belts. I don't think she needs anything else....maybe some nice resin wheels?

Resistance is easy at the moment as my bench is quite full with other projects! But only a little over a month to go!!  :bounce::frantic:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

haha, mine is already out of the box and bags, have been pawing over all that loveliness. Plus I even have some AM stuff on the way for here in the form of HGW seat belts. I don't think she needs anything else....maybe some nice resin wheels?

Resistance is easy at the moment as my bench is quite full with other projects! But only a little over a month to go!!  :bounce::frantic:

Hopefully enough time for benches to be cleared and parts to arrive.

BNA model world have the seatbelts in stock domestically if you want to get them fast. They look great but the pictures online make them look 3 things the size and easier to work with.  You may be getting some SOS messages from a certain idiot  who will be working on his second kit after a 20 year brake from modelling and has a habit of biting off more than he can chew.

• Haha 1

Going to use the Quinta belts from the phantom sets I have. They supply 3 seats worth per set. The kit has been washed in soapy water and is currently drying. Empty work bench…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

........... a short time later, parts have mysteriously fallen off the sprue trees, a knife and an open glue container were seen very close by!!  :rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm resisting.  I've already got all the short nose Phantoms I want (mix of Z-M, Academy, & Hasegawa).  I want a couple more late Es to do the HAF AUP & an Iranian E.  That should have my Phantom bases covered(ish).

• Like 1

A 1/144 Phantom has been duly ordered along with one or two more me109s :) 

ba762146-89e2-4255-b0eb-d5579e83d6ef.jpe

Should get here before November. Now to find a nice colour scheme. I think I’d like a Vietnam three colour camo but I’ll see what’s appropriate to the model I’ve bought.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, helios16v said:

I'm resisting.  I've already got all the short nose Phantoms I want (mix of Z-M, Academy, & Hasegawa).  I want a couple more late Es to do the HAF AUP & an Iranian E.  That should have my Phantom bases covered(ish).

.... now what's that famous/infamous saying......."resistance is futile!" :rofl2:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

.... now what's that famous/infamous saying......."resistance is futile!" :rofl2:

History has proven that I posses an inability to say no if the price is right.... :rofl2:

• Like 1

Just now, helios16v said:

History has proven that I posses an inability to say no if the price is right.... :rofl2:

it's a disease that afflicts a lot of use around here!  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/07/2021 at 16:28, trickyrich said:

........... a short time later, parts have mysteriously fallen off the sprue trees, a knife and an open glue container were seen very close by!!  :rofl2:

You must have the same issue as me…

liking it so far, getting to a stage of lots of sub assemblies where the priming can start. About to commence the pylons so you can guess how far in the sub assemblies I am.

54 minutes ago, Greg B said:

You must have the same issue as me…

liking it so far, getting to a stage of lots of sub assemblies where the priming can start. About to commence the pylons so you can guess how far in the sub assemblies I am.

oh well.....you can always buy another one! :D

• Like 1