Another Phantom STGB Chat - Poll open.

DaveJL

Hmmm that Tamiya F-4B might be a bit on the expensive side........ but a Tamiya F-4B Phantom!!!!!!  😍

I really can't see it being hugely more expensive that the Zoukei-Mura version, not unless it was massive improvement which would be very hard. I reckon it'll be around the same price bracket as the ZM Phantoms. Gosh after all those years of having only the now old Hasegawa ones and other more ancient versions we now have 3 manufactures suppling modern Phantom goodness!   Now why can't we have updated A-10's, A-7's, A-8's, RA-5's, F-111's to name a few! :shrug:

I may have to start clearing a space for it now!!! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Now why can't we have updated A-10's, A-7's, A-8's, RA-5's, F-111's to name a few! :shrug:

I'm assuming that "A-8" is supposed to be F-8.  :tomato:

15 hours ago, helios16v said:

I'm assuming that "A-8" is supposed to be F-8.  :tomato:

and them too!!! :D

though I reckon there would be some that would love a 1/48th A-8 Shrike.

• Like 1

Question if I may for Them What Know About These Things.

I want to do a 1/72 Phantom, variant/scheme undecided. I've done the "Omega" 892 NAS FAA Phantom from Fujimi in the past but nice as they are they're wife-annoyingly expensive these days. New tool Airfix or the Italeri FG.1 appeal, I gather the Italeri is a Fujimi rebox for a much lower price. Which to go for? The Airfix one seems to have a more comprehensive range of stencil decals but apart from that I don't know how they compare.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Fujimi used to be the Gold Standard, but as you say, expensive. If the Italeri is the same kit and cheaper that would seem to be the way to go. I made the new Airfix last year and it was very good, can't remember any major issues. I think the engine intakes (or something around there) might have been a bit difficult, but see if you can find a review. The decals, like all new Airfix decals, were brilliant!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Johnson said:

If the Italeri is the same kit and cheaper that would seem to be the way to go.

That's what this suggests to me. The Italeri rebox I can get for not much over 20 quid. Depends if I want to subject myself to hundreds of tiny stencils I guess.

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Depends if I want to subject myself to hundreds of tiny stencils I guess.

Your post prompted me to dig out the instructions for the Airfix FG.1. On the stencil sheet alone there are 258 decals, and then there are all the main ones! I remember it taking days to get them all on, nearly drove me nuts :hypnotised:.  Someone must have given Airfix the FAA Phantom manual, which they literally followed to the letter.

But it looks very good sitting on the shelf. :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Your post prompted me to dig out the instructions for the Airfix FG.1. On the stencil sheet alone there are 258 decals, and then there are all the main ones! I remember it taking days to get them all on, nearly drove me nuts :hypnotised:.  Someone must have given Airfix the FAA Phantom manual, which they literally followed to the letter.

But it looks very good sitting on the shelf. :D

I'm sure it does!

Xtradecal do a Phantom stencils sheet if i want to go the extra mile. The Fujimi kit I did yonks ago built like Lego and I don't want to make life too hard for myself with this one so maybe that's the way I'll go.

• Like 1

Hi,

I too have a lonesome Phantom in my stash. Purchased in the Hague in 1985...

About time it should be built. Or should I wait a bit longer? Do they improve with age?

Anyway it is a 1/72 Fujimi F-4B in VF-84 color scheme. Yummy!

So count me in, please.

JR

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 4:48 PM, alt-92 said:

Ohai.

Got some 'tooms here.

Guess we're at or over 25 then?

The question now is... which ones (No WWEMD! - too little time!)

y4mxbZx8a7IRmA1OV598AYnn6iby-csoL46FKhTj

There's also an extra, incomplete Italeri RF-4C in the ESCI box.  @iainpeden kindly offered to look for spares, but I think I may have a cunning plan for that one..

• Like 5

That's veritable horde of Phantoms, @alt-92!

I have equipped myself with the Italeri (Fujimi) FG.1. Haven't decided which scheme yet, there seem to be fewer options out there than for the FGR.2. The Ark Royal "Omega" scheme is arguably the nicest but I've build (and lost) that one before, so something different, maybe an RAF bird. There are a couple of nice 111 Squadron options. Anyways, there's time yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok was going with a 1/72 Hasegawa for this but gave in Sunday, bought a vanilla Kai, from UK shop:

spacer.png

...arrived this morning. :wow:so much better than Hasegawa: the intakes, the exhausts, the cockpit, even the large instruction sheet that understands I am going to add the breakable bits at the end. And I paid less than I would for a new (big H) or second hand (ebay) Hasegawa rhino. Very excited.

Chris

• Like 3

Coincidentally I just received these two in the post this afternoon.

spacer.png

Like Chris in the above post I am looking forward to doing one of these in this GB. Which one I haven’t decided yet.

Cheers Allan

Edited by almac
  • Like 3

Id quite like to join in with this one if i may please chaps? 

Currently got a C and a J in the stash and hope to have a few more by the time the build is due to start. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 6:38 AM, alt-92 said:

The question now is... which ones (No WWEMD! - too little time!)

y4mxbZx8a7IRmA1OV598AYnn6iby-csoL46FKhTj

There's also an extra, incomplete Italeri RF-4C in the ESCI box.  @iainpeden kindly offered to look for spares, but I think I may have a cunning plan for that one..

I'm glad I'm not the only one w/ "issues".....aka which one to build next!  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please add me to the group build please. Might link it with the F-14 STGB, which means US Navy.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

I've just ordered a Zouki-Mura kit as my next project. Depending on how long my current project takes and if I can be patient enough to wait I'll join in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Please include me. My new Tamiya F-4B is expected to arrive this week and for a change, I am planning it to be an OOB build. I spent enough on the kit. Time to go back to the good ol' days and use what's in the box. One of the following, still not decided.

Print

I may not have the kit yet I am ready to go.

Tamiya F-4B 1

Ray

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Please include me. My new Tamiya F-4B is expected to arrive this week and for a change, I am planning it to be an OOB build. I spent enough on the kit. Time to go back to the good ol' days and use what's in the box. One of the following, still not decided.

Print

Tamiya F-4B 1

Ray

My vote in descending order is they way they're shown, VF-51 then VF-111 with VF-161 tail end Charlie. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My vote in descending order is they way they're shown, VF-51 then VF-111 with VF-161 tail end Charlie. 

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the vote. The VF-51 "supersonic can opener" is a nice choice. Very difficult to choose. I like them all.

My first Phantom (I know, where have I been?) so I am not tired of the Sundowner schemes.  I am leaning that way at the moment. Fits my boyhood memory of what a US Navy Phantom should look like. It has minimalist stencilling, a negative in this case as I am raring to go with the new Tamiya decal adhesive.  Let's see what the decals look like when the kit arrives. Still a couple of months to choose.

Ray

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 00:22, Ray_W said:

Print

Tamiya F-4B 1

Ray

Without eyeballing the decals I'd go for the VF-161 Chargers. The stripe down the fuselage gives it a bit of contrast and brakes things up a bit. Photos of their high vis markings are quite striking. 

VF-161-Chargers-014.jpg

• Like 1