Another Phantom STGB Chat - Poll open.

DaveJL

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oooh nice very nice. Ive wanted that sheet for awhile now. I just love the sea scheme. 

Picked up a F-2 on sale a few weeks ago...thought one of these would make a sweet partner for it.  :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Am very excited as these lovelies arrived today!  🥰

IMG_5302-L.jpg

They are the final piece for my VF-31 builds. These are long since out of production and near impossible to find as I found out....plus are frightened expensive, they cost more than the model and AM bits I have so far!!!! :yikes:

The reason I wanted them so much is the VF-31 bird is a MiG Killer which saw VF-31 to become the only US Navy squadron to score kills in all three major conflicts it was involved in, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 11:14, helios16v said:

A kink may have been thrown in the Phantom plans.....  :wicked:

50699845693_d365694fc9_c.jpg

saw these and they caught my eye too, should turn out great!

Are you accepting any kits in the egg format?? might try one

21 minutes ago, Cuppa_joe said:

Are you accepting any kits in the egg format?? might try one

I cant answer for Rich. Though Ive usually seen both Egg planes and Toon tanks in builds before, so it is possible. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Ok, well count me in regardless if you will have me please...i baulked at the high and mighty prices of the kit by almost reputable maker. Should be able to find something suitable by the start of this build. Cheers

Just love Phantoms! Please can you add me to the list?

Walking along the Loughrigg Terrace above Grasmere in the Lake District in 1980. Two RAF Phantoms fly down the lake below us! Happy Days!

Not quite sure what yet. The stash contains, er, rather too many 1/72 Phantoms; 2 Fujimi, Airfix, Hasegawa. But the latest addition; Robin Olds F-4C by Hobby 2000 - Vietnam Aces 1 (Hasegawa rebox) is what I fancy.

Cheers!

• Like 1

ok peoplezzzzz........ tim for some pure plastic po#n!!!

I already showed @helios16v .... being a family site I can't say what he did, but he nearly broke his phone! :rofl2:

After an atrocious start to the week my lovely courier left this one for me!! 

Zoukei-Mura's super limited edition end of service F-4EJ!🥰

IMG_5426-L.jpg

IMG_5427-L.jpg

the decals are insane, they have a slight metallic look/finish to them

IMG_5428-L.jpg

Plus seeing it was a very limited release they included a special pin with each model, there were 4 different styles/colours, I was lucky enough to get one that matches the scheme!

IMG_5424-L.jpg

finally a quick look at the sprue as we see some new ones that'll be for the later models that are coming. here is a lot of "extra" parts in the box already for coming models! (F-4E LHS, F-4EJ RHS)

IMG_5430-XL.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

those decals look amazing, no plans to build mine for a while (got tooooo many Tomcats to build now, just bought another one!  :whistle:  ) so it'll have pride and place in the stash main shelf!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

those decals look amazing, no plans to build mine for a while (got tooooo many Tomcats to build now, just bought another one!  :whistle:  ) so it'll have pride and place in the stash main shelf!

Yup, really nice but as typical I prefer the Yellow retirement scheme. Same with the Luftwaffe Phantoms, I was lucky enough to see them a couple of days before they retired and I preferred the Norm 81 scheme! Just got to finish the C model now. Canopy seals masked tonight, just got decals left now :)

• Like 1

Narrowing my options initially, to this Hasegawa F-4E,

Huge thanks Iain Penden for Esci Israeli Phantom decals.  My plan is to build this kit as Israeli F4E 618 of 201 Squadron.

This aircraft was shot down by Syrian AAA on 13 Oct 1973, over the Golan Heights during Yom Kippur, crashing into the Med.  both crew recovered.

Hasegawa-Phantom.jpg

Hopefully There are parts in the kit for the Midas gun fairing.

Yom Kippur was many years before Israel developed air-refueling for Phantoms.

• Like 1

I have provisionally set aside two kits for this GB:

1985 vintage Revell (Monogram) USN F-4J, reissued a couple of years ago:

1013761-15582-59-pristine.jpg

Revell RF-4E "Tigermeet". The original F-4E tooling is from 1997, this was released in 2006. Aircraft with a regular camouflage scheme can also be built from this kit (which may be just as well ...)

104674-16559-96-720.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tamiya’s new tool could make an appearance in time for the GB...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61121-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-phantom-ii--1328414

Item: 61121   1/48 McDonnell Douglas™ F-4B Phantom II™

Famed Aircraft in Scale! F-4Bs were the first Phantom II aircraft to see active service; powered by twin jet engines, they could carry significant ordnance and were used by the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps through the Vietnam War. Here is a triumphant entrance into the extensive 1/48 Aircraft Series for the Phantom II with this model.
*Images show prototype with panel lines accented.
*Transparent canopy parts are partly painted. 

Accurate depiction of the complex form is based on research of the actual aircraft. 

Outer wings can be assembled folded or extended, and right and left tailplane move in concert. 

Choose between open and closed canopy, and expanded or stored refueling probe and boarding ladder. 

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/featuredreleases_early2021.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dansk said:

Tamiya’s new tool could make an appearance in time for the GB...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61121-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-phantom-ii--1328414

Item: 61121   1/48 McDonnell Douglas™ F-4B Phantom II™

Famed Aircraft in Scale! F-4Bs were the first Phantom II aircraft to see active service; powered by twin jet engines, they could carry significant ordnance and were used by the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps through the Vietnam War. Here is a triumphant entrance into the extensive 1/48 Aircraft Series for the Phantom II with this model.
*Images show prototype with panel lines accented.
*Transparent canopy parts are partly painted. 

Accurate depiction of the complex form is based on research of the actual aircraft. 

Outer wings can be assembled folded or extended, and right and left tailplane move in concert. 

Choose between open and closed canopy, and expanded or stored refueling probe and boarding ladder. 

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/featuredreleases_early2021.html

With rumours of a projected RRP at £100 there's no chance this one will be finding a home in my stash :( 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 4:14 AM, Col. said:

With rumours of a projected RRP at £100 there's no chance this one will be finding a home in my stash :( 

Here's a link to HobbyEasy pre-order with a lower price: https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/dkmmmxc9sytklcunrcgk.html

Release date is given as Apr 27 2021. The price is  GBP 49.38  (USD is $67).  Hope that's correct ... and holds.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1