Star Trek Voyager

Over the past few weeks I've been watching through Star Trek Voyager, I've only got three episodes remaining now. I saw there's a kit out of the Intrepid Class starship made by Revell, markings for NCC 74656 USS Voyager of course, I'd like to know people's opinions of this kit and how the build is. 

latest?cb=20190301025951&path-prefix=en

I once had this in stash but sold it on. From my memory this had a good size (about half a meter I would say) and basicaly called for lightning. Some windows were included as clear parts but most would have to be opened up. Also the front "radar" was molded as solid plastic. So to light this my idea was to re-cast it in clear resin. So if you want to add lights, you will have to deal with this 🙂

Parts count was not very high and you can make a nice model out of this.

Some links I found (both german sites):

http://www.jetztmalwerbung.de/modellbau-voyager.html

http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?topic=3453.0

Rene

-The latest version has the dish solid but the rest is a clear part.

Opening the windows is a real pain in the butt and the impulse engines need opening up as well if you want to light those.

Its not the most challenging of kits if you don't light it up, though the paint scheme looks like it will take a fair bit of masking!

One great thing about this subject is that the Voyager is one of the few StarFleet ships that does no thave that fussy aztecing- most Trek ships you spend more time masking and painting than building.

The current release of the kit is the second (special) edition of it- many little adjustments, the inclusion of the shuttlebay interior (minimal but can be enhanced), better decals, that sort of thing. It is a nice sized model as well- you will not feel you have been cheated, unlike the USS Kelvin kit.

Have fun and post your progress shots!

How very coincidental, I'm 5 eps in to the last series. I never watched it when it was shown originally. We are enjoying it immensely apart from a single dreadful episode ( we devolve into salamanders) the rest is pure Trek gold. Voyager herself is a gorgeous ship so much so I've tracked a Revell kit myself.

I'd just like to say that this series has the most gorgeous opening sequence of just about any show (original Thunderbirds excluded) I've ever seen.

Edited by RACETRACK
  • Like 1

IMO Voyager was a pretty good show- it had to adjust it's formula to help syndication so no real Maquis-Starfleet conflicts and the ship had to be all cleaned up for the next episode. They originally were planning on doing it like the 'Year of Hell' two parter (and ST-Enterprise with the Xindi arc) with the ship accumulating damage and being repaired on the fly but the suits wanted a clean episode.

They did some wonderful variants to Voyager as well- the "Warship Voyager" covered in guns (,Living Witness) the Assimilated Voyager" for entering fluidic space (Scorpion pt2), both of which would be a great project to build

Am building this kit at 5he moment. Don't bother with thin glue like tamiya extra thin or the mig ammo version. Humbrol style tube paint is the only thing that will work. What I have done so far has gone together well. I am adding lights so has taken a lot longer to build than it normally would (there are so many windows on the main dish to cut out if you take this route -but it does pay off)

• 1 month later...

I just finished building this kit for my son a couple of weeks ago, he is also currently watching Voyager. I haven't built a kit in several years so this was a good kit to get back into it, it fit's together really well and I didn't really have any issues other than some of the decals not sticking.

I actually bought and built a Revell Voyager in 1996 so I knew it was a decent kit to build.

Edited by Viper78