Spectrum Angel Starfighter

It is February 1971 and after the close shave of the Apollo 13 mission the previous April, security around the Apollo 14 mission is fierce.

The problems encountered by the previous mission had been put to the public as a failure of an oxygen tank on the Apollo 13 Command Module. However, the real story was kept secret from the public for fear of the panic it might cause. Pictures of the Alien space ship that attacked Apollo 13 were captured on the TV camera James A Lovell had been preparing to stow away after that day's scheduled telecast was finished. This footage and the damage caused by the laser blast fired by the Alien UFO were considered conclusive proof that we were not alone in the Universe and that our 'nearest' neighbours were potentially unfriendly.

In the intervening 9 months between the two missions, the US military and the United Nations initiated two new military and scientific programmes. One was tasked with secretly preparing for Alien attack. This was called SHADO and was charged with developing advanced technologies that would enable UFO tracking and space-based defensive systems. As a cover for the vast expenditure this would require, a more modest but public programme was initiated called Spectrum that would adapt existing vehicles and equipment for a 'Peace Keeping' role. Both of these programmes were run separately from the existing UN funded United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, a predominantly British and European operation that had been responsible for dealing with a series of peculiar events in Great Britain in the previous few years. 

Spectrum was as much a PR exercise as an effective military organisation. It was quickly decided that it needed to have its own air force for reconnaissance, logistics and power projection. It was decided to take the innovative step of recruiting the best female pilots of the time and creating a special squadron of 'Angels'. These Angels were given code names taken from popular culture of the time, so the first four pilots were code named Galadriel, Eowyn, Arwen and Luthien. The aircraft they were trained to fly was a specially adapted Lockheed F-104Q Starfighter, and so the Spectrum Angels Starfighter squadron was born.

Here we see Galadrial Angel with her Angel Starfighter getting ready to mount air combat patrol around the perimeter of the controlled airspace for the Apollo 14 launch.

DSC_3790.JPG

DSC_3793.JPG

DSC_3794.JPG

DSC_3885.JPG

So this flight of fancy came about because I picked up the recent Kinetic F-104G kit:

DSC_3774.JPG

and when it arrived, I opened the box up sitting on the couch with the 1:24 scale Angel Interceptor on the coffee table directly in front of me and my mind started to wonder what the Starfighter would look like in white with Spectrum roundels...

I managed to get a set of 1:48 scale Angel Interceptor decals from JBOT decals

DSC_3777.JPG

and used these along with some of the stencil decals from the kit to built it. I did originally intent to pose the cockpit canopy open but I ran out of time to get this ready for the March club meeting of IPMS Farnborough so left it closed. The cockpit looked like this before the canopy was shut:

DSC_3780.JPG

DSC_3782.JPG

"Galadriel" Angel is a resin figure form this set

DSC_3778.JPG

As you can see I removed the beret and added more hair using milliput - non military haircut but it is a PR exercise after all. They get upgraded to white flight suits sometime in the future!

I came up with the backstory while driving home from work this evening and mention of UNIT got me thinking about my NEXT build :D

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 38

Nice!

On a related note, I have a 1/32 Revell F-16XL which I one day intend to modify and  finish as a Spectrum Archangel, the follow on to the "existing" interceptor.

Won't be white though! White is boring.

I rather thought a multi toned metallic blue Unobtainium finish might be nice! 😊

Allan

• Like 1

The back story has given me a load of ideas for other builds from both the Spectrum and SHADO organisations using existing equipment! I was thinking a Spectrum liveried CVR(T) Scorpion tank as an early type of SPV...

• Like 2

On 11/03/2020 at 12:05, Kallisti said:

No there wasn't enough space on the underside to accommodate it - that would really need a nice big delta wing :)

Hmnnnnn..............

high altitude long endurance loiter capability to engage incoming trajectory for any UFO incursion with long range air to air missiles?  Phoenix perhaps with nuke tips?. Delta? 
Vulcan Mk 4 Special Mod which you need to invent perhaps or a similar B 58 version or maybe even the interceptor version of the SR71 though you would never see the black letter A. White SR71 special paint job with a specially formulated heat tolerant paint

its a Whiff after all 

• Like 1

I like the thought of existing vehicles in futuristic markings. I've often thought of building a DC-3 in Starfleet livery, because there's bound to be at least one still flying in the 23rd Century!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:37 PM, Kallisti said:

DSC_3790.JPG

I came up with the backstory while driving home from work this evening and mention of UNIT got me thinking about my NEXT build :D

This is really great!! When I saw the post's title saying Angel Starfighter, I somehow expected you to be using that Starfighter from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, until I saw the photo and realised the title meant a F-104. Wow, caught me there!

I wonder what it would look like during the over the years, starting from the F-104 Starfighter to the Angel Interceptor. I can image the Angels using a F-15 Eagle during the 1990s and an Eurofighter Typhoo during the 2020s.

That's a very good creative idea and good work!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fab work and good story! Big Man Straker would be proud. I like the idea of a Shado CVR(T) - Maybe backed up by a few Gepards?

According to Clavework graphics (http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/), Spectrum also fielded TSR2s and F-14s:

F510_TSR2_Spectrum.jpg

F576_F14A_Spectrum.jpg

But they are not deltas - oooh, how about a Spectrum XB-70 or Avro Arrow?

No Starfleet DC-3 (yet) but they take suggestions...

• Like 7

I had thought about a TSR2 bu that would be contemporary with the Starfighter. The F-14 is a possibility but then you get to something like the Rafale which is a nice delta and I reckon it would take an "A" on the underside quite well. Funnily enough I have a Revell one in the stash :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice, and I like the backstory, particularly the involvement of Apollo 13 -- very creative.

All the "other" Spectrum aircraft are fun, and I remember seeing a Harrier GR.3 in Spectrum livery at the Cosford show one year -- the A was on the upper surface of the wing rather than underneath, which would also work for the TSR.2.

I have a Chengdu J-10 that I'm going to do in Spectrum colours. That aircraft is about as close as you can get in RL to an Angel Interceptor, except it lacks that bl**dy awful T-tail (and thank Finagle for that). I'm still working out whether to build it OOB or droop the wingtips and move the canards forward along the nose.

Another Angel-like aircraft would be the Typhoon -- sort of the J-10's big brother. I remember seeing a photo of the EAP prototype when it first came into public view, and my immediate reaction was, "That's a twin-engined Angel!" And it pretty much is, save for the undercarriage and the lack of the stupid T-tail.

• Like 1