Mi-24 colours in ak real colours

AndrewMi

HI

I just bought the Zvezda Mi-24P in 1/72 but could'nt find the right paint in Ak real colour. I think the paint guide in the instructions could be wrong as it says grey and green when it looks like a sandy colour .Does anyone know what colours it would be in Ak or maybe Tamiya.

thanks

Everything I've seen suggests a sandy-colour - based on cross referencing these two charts:
https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/historical-color-references-guide-for-aircraft-and-afv-series-vallejo-colors.pdf (helicopter colours, p. 4) and http://www.ak-masters.com/app/pdf/RCEquivalenceDIG.pdf it looks like the AK RC088 is the most 'correct' colour

It is a sandy colour with a greyish tint to it based on the colour charts, but I know how notorious they are for accuracy.

Interesting question. I have no experience of the Real Colour range or that particular Vallejo colour 71.244 (although it does seem quite specific to Soviet/Russian schemes and aircraft, which implies a certain accuracy), but could AK's RC099 Russian Greyish Yellow also be a contender? I'm curious to know which one you go with.

• Like 1

RC099 looks like the same colour as RC088 but slightly lighter - so I would say that yes, it could also be as a contender

I don't actually have experience with any of these specific paints either - I'm just going with what I have been able to find out and what I can remember from what I've seen of Hinds.

• Like 1

Hinds seem to come in a wide range of hues, with or without some sort of logic behind it. I guess a green and sandy-buff may be the "classic" look, but recent Russian ones can apparently go for green and a lighter grayish green instead. Here's an example, which I think is also painting option #3 in the Zvezda kit: https://russianplanes.net/id180858

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Andrewthanks for replying. In the end, i thound out about the hataka russian helicopter paint set which i decided to go with as it had what appered to be the right colours and was in a local model store. sorry for the late reply, my internet had gone down for a few weeks.

8 hours ago, AndrewMi said:

@Andrewthanks for replying. In the end, i thound out about the hataka russian helicopter paint set which i decided to go with as it had what appered to be the right colours and was in a local model store. sorry for the late reply, my internet had gone down for a few weeks.

G'day @AndrewMi, no dramas regarding a reply and the Hataka option sounds good as well. Hope they work well for you; if memory serves I have that set in its lacquer form but am yet to give it a whirl. Now that I've become aware of the AK Real Colour options, I might have to hunt those out as well!