Is there a definite RLM brand?

Doggy

On 3/14/2020 at 3:47 PM, tank152 said:

Personally I think MRP RLM74 is pretty much spot on comparing it to all my paint chips and I think i've got virtually all the available ones. It should have a greenish tinge to it. Mr Color is certainly off as its just a dark grey.

The only MRP RLM colour that I find off is their 04 for that I like AK's RC RLM04.

MRP is superb stuff, the way it was flying off that trader's stand  who was at Telford i'm not the only one who thinks it, he could barely keep up replenishing the racks he was telling me. 🙂

Sorry got my numbers mixed up, it's the darker grey that looks like a bright green on my build that I think is off. As you say it should have a green tinge to it but that is just a green and makes it look like a late war colour scheme instead of the mid war I was wanting.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 15/03/2020 at 19:36, Duncan B said:

Sorry got my numbers mixed up, it's the darker grey that looks like a bright green on my build that I think is off. As you say it should have a green tinge to it but that is just a green and makes it look like a late war colour scheme instead of the mid war I was wanting.

Duncan B

When my Gunze Aqueous RLM 74 was about to end I went from MRP as weapon of choice and was a bit shocked to find the much greener hue this paint has when compared to my trustworthy Gunze.

However last year I found a LHS that stocks GA and bought 2 jars of the 74. Guess what? This newer batch is a lot closer to MRP hue than my older GA jars. Anyone noticed this?

let me just add that the old jars where from the early 2000s, so probably 15+ years old at least

• Like 1

There was a period about the 90s when someone read that 74 was named Grungrau and leapt to the unreasonable conclusion that this meant it was green,  For a while we got Squadron Signal In Actions with Luftwaffe fighters painted in a duplicate of the RAF's Day Fighter scheme.  Grungrau was not an official name anyway...  Ken Merrick posted on one site that if you found fresh paint and peered at it closely, then you could make out a slight greenish tinge, but that it disappeared very quickly in use.  Hence a spate of model paints that were as you describe.

As per the other thread on the same subject a few down the board - I feel it's a waste of time comparing model paints to each other. Compare them to RLM chips and be explicit who's RLM chips of the variety on the market you're comparing to.

Anything else is just personal confirmation biasing, or vagaries and subjectivity upon unquantified starting points. Meaningless.

Our's are matched to the chips in Merrick & Kiroff. Very obviously they will not match Eagle Editions or any others which differ from these. Personally I found Jürgen Kiroff's methodology the most transparent and justified. Your milage may vary. Other brands have (presumably) used other chips. Unlike, say, the Royal Air Force where there is zero ambiguity or room for interpretation, until the world decides to back one particular set of RLM chips and discredit the others, saying things like "Humbrol xxx is RLMyy" is folly.

images3TP1FFVM_large.jpg?v=1518076808

imagesF8X8ZYXJ_large.jpg?v=1518076817

• Like 9

Incidentally, in case anyone was wondering if small business owners who skirt H&S regs to do with retailing chemical substances can actually end up eating porridge, a distant relative of mine spent a few months learning they sometimes do...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The one thing I can state is most of the official Vallejo matches are fictional. In some cases (RLM75) they're completely different colours, not sure how they got an Olive Green from Grauviolet, but they managed. That said, I've learned the hard way that it's nice paint but you need to use 3rd party charts to match, the official charts (and paint sets) are extremely bad for both RAF and RLM colours.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wombat said:

Incidentally, in case anyone was wondering if small business owners who skirt H&S regs to do with retailing chemical substances can actually end up eating porridge, a distant relative of mine spent a few months learning they sometimes do...

I’ve just read that back and noticed it could be misconstrued. Be assured, we’re talking industrial solvents, not narcotics...!

• Haha 3