As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Posted (edited)

Exhausts valves and collars done, exhaust guard hanger brackets glued in place and starter assembly modified and refitted with the correct spacing....... next weld beads for the brackets, fabricate rear mudguards and jack brackets tonight. Then a general clean up and repair of any damaged texture.

Modeled the valves open as if the engine is running for no other reason than it looks good and i could. :P

spacer.pngspacer.png

stay safe everyone

Edited by M3talpig

Your exhausts are a work of art, looking forward to more of the same.

Roger

52 minutes ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick

47 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Your exhausts are a work of art, looking forward to more of the same.

Roger

Thanks Roger

Great stuff. Can you recommend an easy tool to cut those discs from metal?

6 hours ago, Soeren said:

Great stuff. Can you recommend an easy tool to cut those discs from metal?

I sure can....... it's a blunt 2mm drill bit with the non cutting end squared off so it has nice sharp edges and a piece of fibre board to sit the copper on ....i use fibre board so it's easy to dig the disc out afterwards also the fibre board is soft enough to catch the disc without damage using this method i have cut discs as thick as 0.8 mm and with a diameter of 4mm. I'am sure bigger is possible but i have never personally needed bigger.....i used to use an old piece of car tyre to catch the disc but i lost it and don't have another old tyre to cut up.....save you having to dig out the disc afterwards. :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Really great work at the Tiger, i love it

Thanks Harry

Very nice. What did you take to increase your patience to such levels... 

1 hour ago, Vaastav said:

Very nice. What did you take to increase your patience to such levels... 

Honestly Vaastav it's not unusual to see me spitting my dummy out at most things....but modeling seems to put me in a peaceful place. 

Been 20 years but so glad i've picked up the tools again i didn't realise how much i missed it.

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Great work, those exhausts look amazing.

Thanks mate

Mudguards now mounted working on the jack and mounting points now

spacer.png spacer.png

That looks like very smart work to me, it's 1/35, yes? I'm not an armour expert at all. :) I do hope the US Army engineer took the tool box with him, the way you've made it, far to nice to leave behind to be blown up. ;)

Steve.

Great work on exhausts, tool’s box and mudguard. I love who work styrene an plastic cards this way👍. Well bone!

ciao

Filippo

All top notch work M3.....real pleasure to follow along👍

regards

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks like very smart work to me, it's 1/35, yes? I'm not an armour expert at all. :) I do hope the US Army engineer took the tool box with him, the way you've made it, far to nice to leave behind to be blown up. ;)

Steve.

Yes Steve it is indeed 35th scale and no the engineer who blew her up didn't take the tool box  :P.......and i found out recently that they tried blowing her up twice...first time removed the turret second time put her on her roof....still looked like a Tiger though ...testament to how strong and well built they really were.

6 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Great work on exhausts, tool’s box and mudguard. I love who work styrene an plastic cards this way👍. Well bone!

ciao

Filippo

Thank you Filippo still a bit rusty with the tools but im getting there.

4 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

All top notch work M3.....real pleasure to follow along👍

regards

And thank you for following and the kind words:thumbsup:

Great work on the rear end. The detail work is superb.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Great work on the rear end. The detail work is superb.

John.

Thanks John ...hopefully another update later today.

Posted (edited)

So the convoy light is done .....didn't realise till looking at the picture that it is slightly wonky...not to worried as the rear mudguards need to be damaged so the chances are that the light would have been battered as well.

spacer.png

The jack and it's mounts where supposed to be a fairly simple job :D......but the more i looked at the Italeri part versus the pictures the more it became apparent that i was going to need a fix of some description.

The idea was to strip the kit jack of it's molded on mounts and make new accurate ones from copper sheet but as you can see in the piccy the Italeri jack seems to be completely made from somebody's imagination (dark grey)

The Tamiya one is closer but still no prize (Yellow)

So i did some Google foo and found plans for the original 20 ton jack for the Tiger 1 and started to scratch it still got a lot to do but it's coming along nicely.

spacer.png

Rivet detail on the side facing still to be done and the mounting point for the handle and handle is being done now then i have the main body on the other side to do...should look a lot better than either kit when finished. 

Edited by M3talpig

A vast improvement.

John.

I was surprised too when you check on some manufacturers ideas of tools etc......nice looking scratch job there....:yes:....I don't worry now if things are exactly right in regards to the rear light. Most pics I see of anything in long term (or short term to think of it).....everything becomes cockeyed...adds character.:wink:

Looking great and enjoying the build blog in prep for my Tiger on hand to get started soon.....:yes:

Well been a couple of days , haven't been able to do much but the scratch jack is almost done, just the winding handle the foot and the rivets on the underside to do then a clean up and then time to do all the mounting brackets.

spacer.png  spacer.png

On 04/04/2020 at 09:56, Bullbasket said:

A vast improvement.

John.

Thanks John

On 04/04/2020 at 16:09, Redcoat2966 said:

I was surprised too when you check on some manufacturers ideas of tools etc......nice looking scratch job there....:yes:....I don't worry now if things are exactly right in regards to the rear light. Most pics I see of anything in long term (or short term to think of it).....everything becomes cockeyed...adds character.:wink:

Looking great and enjoying the build blog in prep for my Tiger on hand to get started soon.....:yes:

Yeah it does make you wonder what photos or plans there working from......or whether they just make something that's just close enough and hope nobody notices:drunk:

Just need to level up the rivets but it's done ....it looks awesome in person ...shame this is the only time anybody will see it.....was thinking of taking a mold of it and casting a batch so i don't have to do it again

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Posted (edited)

This looks like quite some work. Very nice :D

was the kit part so bad? EDIT: just scrolled up to realise what abomination actually was in the kit. Well done!

Edited by Soeren