As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Posted (edited)

Well i like a challenge and so with that and my limited budget in mind i chose the worst kit i could to start this project with.

The Italeri initial production Tiger 1 ........This kit sucks and i can't recommend enough if you want to do a Tiger from the box avoid this kit.

It is sadly badly molded and as for the subject matter (includes decals for Tunisian Tigers which are also wrong) most of the details are wrong.

Including ...rear mudguards

tool and tow rope locations

fuel filler caps

rear exhaust guards (at least for 142)

Missing weld seams

No texture on rolled armour

No texture on cast armour parts

Wrong location of bow deflector guard for drivers vision port

Wrong tracks (late model tracks supplied)

Tools are diabolical (par for the course with Italeri kits)

blow holes in the road wheels 

missing detail on the sprocket's

engine deck layout wrong

Headlight position incorrect for early 501 issued Tigers and the list is growing

and i haven't even looked at the turret yet but i'm not hopeful🤣 

So first things first ...the basic dimensions of the hull are good so i built that and then scraped of all the detail and reworked the weld seams and rolled armour texture reworked the front towing pintals(wrong shape provided in kit), thickened the armour by the front mudflaps , also added missing link braces between and lower hull and upper hull (riveted above welded below on the real vehicle) and started the detailing on the exhausts including the missing spigot marks from the casting process for the armoured guards on the lower exhaust (on 142 they are very roughly removed and then smoothed with an angle grinder)..

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next job is to modify the exhausts themselves as the kit provides the wrong design (early Tigers had no fume deflectors but a pressure flap much like American big rigs on the top of the outlet).

Then time to start to see if the road wheels can be saved or wether to make a mold of Tamiya's wheels detail them up a bit and use those instead.

The Fruil tracks are assembled and have been burnished already but obviously will need attention when the final finish is done on the vehicle

Thats all for now folks , will update this as more work is done...... this is the only project on my bench as i do one at a time so updates should be fairly regular.:thumbsup:

Edited by M3talpig

Some great work there, a very impressive start, I just hope the struggle to correct all the problems doesn't wear you down and it ends up on the shelf of doom. (we've all been there)  So Roger and I will be here to encourage you. :poke:

34 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Some great work there, a very impressive start, I just hope the struggle to correct all the problems doesn't wear you down and it ends up on the shelf of doom. (we've all been there)  So Roger and I will be here to encourage you. :poke:

Thanks Bob think i'm gonna need it:thumbsup:

Quiet an undertaking, should be interesting project.

I'll tag along if you don't mind. 

Good luck with it. 

Atb

Darryl 

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Quiet an undertaking, should be interesting project.

I'll tag along if you don't mind. 

Good luck with it. 

Atb

Darryl 

The more the merrier and thanks .

Small update .... fabricated the rear mudguard brackets last night and the convoy reflector and while that was drying of decided to bare the contact points on the tracks.

Hopefully will finish the exhausts tonight:thumbsup:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Posted (edited)

I'm looking forward to this one. My AFV Tiger late production just arrived with PE and ATAK.........going to be taking a lot of note's on this build ......love everything so far; especially the additional weld beads you've done. What did you use etc to get them like that. That one at the very front is super.

All looking good....:yes:

Cheers

Simon.

P.S......how did you do the rolled plate look also.....:smirk:

Edited by Redcoat2966

4 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I'm looking forward to this one. My AFV Tiger late production just arrived with PE and ATAK.........going to be taking a lot of note's on this build ......love everything so far; especially the additional weld beads you've done. What did you use etc to get them like that. That one at the very front is super.

All looking good....:yes:

Cheers

Simon.

P.S......how did you do the rolled plate look also.....:smirk:

Hi Simon

The rolled plate is the first thing you do once you get the basic hull and turret together, i use humbrol filler and mix it with there enamel thinner till it's like a very thick paint then use an old worn out brush and apply in thin coats allowing each coat to dry, use a stipple motion (jab and twist) get an uneven finish, once its dry use some 2000 grit wet and dry and gently flatten the surface...rolled steel is mostly smooth but has divots were during the rolling process the slag drops out of the plate....so what you want is a smooth almost shiny finish with small imperfections.

Then you can do the weld beads, use a scriber to scribe down the lines of molded welds...don't go too deep 0.5-0.8mm should be about right or two or three passes with the scriber.

Now there are lots of putties out there Milliput,Tamiya do an excellent putty and various others, personally i use Milliput super fine white putty.

Mix it up and use a flatt blunt blade or sculpting tool to smoosh the putty into the line you scribed and while the putty is still soft use a tool like this .........

to make the beads....if you have problems with the putty sticking to the tool either use some talcum powder over the weld seam or dip the tool in water(i made my tool with a piece of copper wrapped around a bamboo earbud).... it takes a little practice but once you got the technique down the results are so much better than the kits provide.

The rest of it is down to taking time to clean thing up when everything is set.

everything you need for retexture and beading......

spacer.png

Hope that helps bud ...if you need any help just hit me up.

Steve 

Posted (edited)

Another small update...

Still didn't finish the exhaust's :P but i did do the spare track hangers on the lower rear hull and the tool box hangers which again were particular to 501 Tigers.

Took a while to fashion the copper sheet to a U channel shape as they are so small in 35th scale so to do it i blunted a stanley blade and formed the copper over the blunted edge.

Weld beads need cleaning up but another step closer, the pics below are of 142 as she is being prepped for demolition by the US corp of engineers and the after shot is the result....a sad end to my favourite of the Tigers but does show various fittings and fixtures well, this demolition was very well photographed and i was lucky enough to find the whole lot online.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Have a great day y'all

Steve 

Edited by M3talpig

Superb work, loving the attention to detail and nice clear photos. 

Cheers

Darryl 

11 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Superb work, loving the attention to detail and nice clear photos. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl

5 minutes ago, Carius said:

Excellent job so far Steve :popcorn:

Thanks Carius

Wow, excellent work Steve, your attention to detail is amazing, puts my kit bashing to shame. :nod: 

Thanks Bob still a lot of clean up needed but i'm getting there ....my hands don't seem to do what my brain is seeing .....if you get what i mean:P

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

my hands don't seem to do what my brain is seeing .....if you get what i mean:P

Do I, I sometimes wonder who is controlling my hands some days, and don't get me started on putting things down and then cannot find them. :angry:

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

Do I, I sometimes wonder who is controlling my hands some days, and don't get me started on putting things down and then cannot find them. :angry:

Honestly Bob i swear sometimes i spend more time looking for tools than i do using them .....(now where did i put my glasses):drunk:

Excellent work.

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

Excellent work.

Thanks Kriss

Excellent work done. I like tiger 1s but due to current circumstances can't get one... I will follow along if that is okay. 

Just now, Vaastav said:

Excellent work done. I like tiger 1s but due to current circumstances can't get one... I will follow along if that is okay. 

Hi Vaastav thanks and please do follow as i will be working on the Tiger tomorrow so there should be some updates soon

Posted (edited)

Small update ...now i have finished the Sherman vignette time to get on with the Tiger again.

Below is the tool box for the rear engine deck.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see it's tiny and bending the latches was a real test of my patience .....the kit part wasn't up to much.

Edited by M3talpig

Great work so far, liking your attention to the smallest detail!

Roger

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

the kit part wasn't up to much.

But your's is a vast improvement. Nice work.

John.

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great work so far, liking your attention to the smallest detail!

Roger

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

But your's is a vast improvement. Nice work.

John.

Why thanks guys.....i must get a place to take better photos and something other than my phone.... i didn't realise how bad the pics look until this morning...the box looks like a piece of chewed bubble gum with copper wire stuck in it ....it doesn't look that bad in person.