F-14 Tomcat STGB Chat

Col.

Woohoo!!! :yahoo:

I just noticed this is in and has moved!

Updated the spreadsheet! :D

Don't know if it'll be an A or D model, but can confirm it'll be a Tamiya 1/48th beastie in VF-31 CAG colours........

........... only 18 months away but am already excited!!  :frantic:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reini said:

Yes please, Hasegawa F-14A in the stash. Been contemplating it for the Vietnam GB - but I've had so many Vietnam additions to my stash lately that I rather spread them out a bit :)

Welcome to the Tomcat party Reini :) Sure @trickyrich won't mind if you swap your F-14 out for something else in Vietnam GB...

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Woohoo!!! :yahoo:

I just noticed this is in and has moved!

Updated the spreadsheet! :D

Don't know if it'll be an A or D model, but can confirm it'll be a Tamiya 1/48th beastie in VF-31 CAG colours........

........... only 18 months away but am already excited!!  :frantic:

W.W.E.M.D. Rich? You know the answer is a double build ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Help!

What colour scheme is this?   I originally thought it was a hard-edged version of the TPS scheme, but now I'm starting to wonder if it is light gull grey with dark gull grey uppersurfaces.

spacer.png

Photo from Wikipedia

11 hours ago, Ale85 said:

I have some tomcats to build. I'm in!

ciao

Ale

Welcome aboard Ale. You have plenty time to decide on your subject :) 

Count me in! Can't think of a better gb to join for my first, if you'll have me. 

Finished the Tamiya -D tail end of last year, and I've just started the AMK kit. Hopefully by the time the gb rolls around, there'll be a -B offering from Tamiya (hint hint.) 

Can never have too many Tomcats. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Col. please add me to the list for this one. I have never built an F-14 and have  five 1/72 in the stash so this will a good place to start. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 2

10 hours ago, almac said:

Hi @Col. please add me to the list for this one. I have never built an F-14 and have  five 1/72 in the stash so this will a good place to start. 

Cheers Allan

With pleasure Allan. Sounds as if you've plenty options there :) 

On 3/31/2020 at 1:24 AM, Col. said:

Welcome to the Tomcat party Reini :) Sure @trickyrich won't mind if you swap your F-14 out for something else in Vietnam GB...

W.W.E.M.D. Rich? You know the answer is a double build ;)

well that is actually very easy....build the F-14A...as I haven't bought the F-14D yet!

Though I could always sell my Draken to fund the purchase of it! :tease:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...Though I could always sell my Draken to fund the purchase of it! :tease:

At least there's a chance the poor neglected thing will get built then.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Col. said:

At least there's a chance the poor neglected thing will get built then.

Will we ever see Schrodinger's Draken get the wavefunction collapse that it truly deserves?!?!?  :D 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Looking at my stash, and I seem to have assembled various kits, this gives me a good excuse to deplete the stash.... but which one.

1/48 AMK, Tamiya or Hasegawa, or 1/32 Trumpy....

Choices choices 

I’m in 😉👍👍👍

• Like 2

On 25/07/2020 at 00:32, Covjets13 said:

Looking at my stash, and I seem to have assembled various kits, this gives me a good excuse to deplete the stash.... but which one.

I wonder if the BM Massive can predict my recommendation...  :)

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2020 at 1:39 PM, daryl_five_zero said:

Count me in! Can't think of a better gb to join for my first, if you'll have me. 
Finished the Tamiya -D tail end of last year, and I've just started the AMK kit. Hopefully by the time the gb rolls around, there'll be a -B offering from Tamiya (hint hint.) 

Can never have too many Tomcats. 

What's your opinion of the AMK one so far?

On 7/25/2020 at 12:32 AM, Covjets13 said:

Choices choices 

I’m in 😉👍👍👍

On 7/29/2020 at 3:03 PM, llking said:

just saw this, count me in please

Got your names on the list :D 

On 7/29/2020 at 8:08 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I wonder if the BM Massive can predict my recommendation...  :)

W.W.E.M.D? :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 6:53 AM, Col. said:

What's your opinion of the AMK one so far?

Very mixed feelings. 

Opening the box, it's hard not to be overwhelmed; it has all of the options I think any Tomcat fan could ever want and more. I have mine crouched on the cat with everything hanging down. You can't fault AMK for giving you practically any/every option you could ever want. The ordnance options are vast and comprehensive too... Even the LGB's have the options of having their fins extended. 

After getting stuck in though, it's hard not to be a little disappointed. Even after exhaustive dry fitting, certain areas just down fit like you'd like. I know I shouldn't compare it to the Tamiya offering but after building that, the AMK kit falls short in so many areas. Where Tamiya gets it right, it seems AMK over complicates the same areas. There are a couple of areas that have already been documented elsewhere that have shape issues, upon building and comparing to the Tamiya kit, they do become more apparent. 

If I were to add a second AMK Tomcat to the stash, I'd be very tempted to use it as a wing donor to the Tamiya kit. The wings on the AMK kit are a work of art. However. I fully intend to add several more of the Tamiya offering to my stash... I'm in less of a rush to say the same about the AMK kit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1