F-14 Tomcat STGB Chat

Col.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:16 PM, daryl_five_zero said:

Very mixed feelings. 

Opening the box, it's hard not to be overwhelmed; it has all of the options I think any Tomcat fan could ever want and more. I have mine crouched on the cat with everything hanging down. You can't fault AMK for giving you practically any/every option you could ever want. The ordnance options are vast and comprehensive too... Even the LGB's have the options of having their fins extended. 

After getting stuck in though, it's hard not to be a little disappointed. Even after exhaustive dry fitting, certain areas just down fit like you'd like. I know I shouldn't compare it to the Tamiya offering but after building that, the AMK kit falls short in so many areas. Where Tamiya gets it right, it seems AMK over complicates the same areas. There are a couple of areas that have already been documented elsewhere that have shape issues, upon building and comparing to the Tamiya kit, they do become more apparent. 

If I were to add a second AMK Tomcat to the stash, I'd be very tempted to use it as a wing donor to the Tamiya kit. The wings on the AMK kit are a work of art. However. I fully intend to add several more of the Tamiya offering to my stash... I'm in less of a rush to say the same about the AMK kit. 

Thank you. Certainly sounds as if the AMK is a harder route to similar ends as the Tamiya kit with only the extra options to commend it.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:33 PM, wimbledon99 said:

Just about to start my 2nd 1:72 build of 2020. This GB could be an excuse to go for a larger scale!! :wonder:

48th? Or 32nd!?! :o 

On 8/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, Covjets13 said:

Count me in, just not sure which one to build? I have 1/48 Hasegawa A’s and the AMK D, and Trumpys 1/32 A and D in the stash.  So not sure what to build.

cheers Si 

W.W.E.M.D? ;) 

2 hours ago, Col. said:
On 8/16/2020 at 9:33 PM, wimbledon99 said:

Just about to start my 2nd 1:72 build of 2020. This GB could be an excuse to go for a larger scale!! :wonder:

48th? Or 32nd!?! :o 

Good question! After looking at a few kits, I think I've scared myself into a 1:144!! :rofl:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Is it too late to join? Bear in mind I will be slumming this one with the venerable Academy 1/48 F-14A (purists look away now....) with the Eduard PE set, thats so ancient it's in natural brass! 

You've got lots of time to join.  In fact the real question is going to be can you leave it alone for that long.  :D

This one is currently slated for late next year, as it just got added to the tail end of the STGB que a few weeks ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

You've got lots of time to join.  In fact the real question is going to be can you leave it alone for that long.  :D

This one is currently slated for late next year, as it just got added to the tail end of the STGB que a few weeks ago.

We doing stuff 1 year in advance? Bloody hell, thought next month 🙈! Ignore my request. Can't even commit to stuff this weekend, never mind 52 weekends away! 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I have a 1/48 Tamiya F-14A I dare not touch in case I ruin it maybe by next year I'll have a few builds done and have some confidence to tackle it.

Dave

I'll take it off your hands if you like - I'm the same but it's the devil in me :devil:

Seriously, PM me with the details if you'd swap it for cash :wink:

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

We doing stuff 1 year in advance? Bloody hell, thought next month 🙈! Ignore my request. Can't even commit to stuff this weekend, never mind 52 weekends away! 

I've added your name to the list so we can keep in touch but you're under no obligation ;) 

On 8/28/2020 at 6:53 PM, Bbdave said:

I have a 1/48 Tamiya F-14A I dare not touch in case I ruin it maybe by next year I'll have a few builds done and have some confidence to tackle it.

Dave

Oooh, nice kit! Sure you'll be fine with a little more experience and a good measure of patience. So long as @wimbledon99 doesn't convince you to sell it first :lol:

On 9/1/2020 at 12:55 PM, klr said:

A placeholder for the Revell 1/144 F-14D Super Tomcat. Very likely scaled down from the 1/72 scale kit, but I don't have that.

104666-27767-78-720.jpg

Seen a few built models and it looks to offer a good result :) 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Don't know how I missed this but count me in please!
Definitely 1/72 and most likely Hasegawa 😎

Cheers,
Dermot

You are now counted Dermot :D 

• Like 1

Yes I am up for this. It could be a 1/48 or a 1/72. Don't quite yet know the specific subject yet as I have a few ideas floating around from either a F-14 FSD bird, to a VF-32 Mig Killer, to a VF-1 first cruise or a Top Gun F-14. And no, I can't do them all. I can only do one of these

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JMChladek said:

Yes I am up for this. It could be a 1/48 or a 1/72. Don't quite yet know the specific subject yet as I have a few ideas floating around from either a F-14 FSD bird, to a VF-32 Mig Killer, to a VF-1 first cruise or a Top Gun F-14. And no, I can't do them all. I can only do one of these

Any one of those will be most welcome in this GB :D 

In the meantime feel free to pick one for the Interceptor GB coming along soon if you wish :) 

• Like 1

by this time tomorrow I may or may not have a AMK F-14D on the ready block for this one!!! :D

Though I strongly suspect there maybe another Tamiya F-14D to go with the A in the stash by then anyway.

I'm not quite ready to commit to a 1/32nd Tamiya monster just yet.......but if one happens to appear at the right price..................

..........I know I'm hopeless  😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Col. said:

Any one of those will be most welcome in this GB :D 

In the meantime feel free to pick one for the Interceptor GB coming along soon if you wish :) 

Might that also include Black on Black Aussie Ford Falcons prowling the wastelands? ;)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

am now the proud owner of a AMK F-14D for the ridiculous price of $48!!!  :yahoo:  Even the postage is good, just $28. 

Now I'm not sure if you're well equipped for this GB or spoilt for choice :lol:

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Now I'm not sure if you're well equipped for this GB or spoilt for choice :lol:

spoilt! :D

now I should go on Facebook to the Oz sellers only pages and sell it for double what i paid for it!!! :devil:

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

spoilt! :D

now I should go on Facebook to the Oz sellers only pages and sell it for double what i paid for it!!! :devil:

You've snuck that one into the stash by telling your wife it's 'an investment' haven't you :lol: 

21 hours ago, Pete F said:

Can you add me to this one please (if it's not too late).

With pleasure Pete. We've the best part of a full year until it begins so plenty time to look out kits and plan your project :) 

• Like 1