F-14 Tomcat STGB Chat

Col.

3 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah got this sheet in 72nd too the other day, ready for a ‘toothy & tactical tomcat triple’ build. Guess which one’s off the sheet i’ll be doing... 😎

Here’s to hoping there downsize more of their colours and markings sheets too over the next year like they did with the part one 👌🏽

The only problem, or not, is that the decals are sized for the Hasegawa kit so will need to check if they fit the Academy kit or have to swop over the tail and ventral fins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert said:

The only problem, or not, is that the decals are sized for the Hasegawa kit so will need to check if they fit the Academy kit or have to swop over the tail and ventral fins

True that mate. Only a problem perhaps for pristine red and white high viz tails? 
 I am planning on the tps bird schemes for some acad kits. So can trim and respray/blend the tail markings to go with corrosion control style paint job. 

Had to do that when I used FCM hgwa sizes decals on my hboss low viz sundowner build - trimmed off the fincaps and lower parts that go over the root bulge etc and sprayed them 😎

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235026681-low-visibility-sundowner-172-f-14a-tomcat-hobbyboss-vf-111/#

Anyone else want to play in this one? I've heard the new Academy 72nd scale kit is rather nice so what better reason than this for adding some to the stash ;) 

blood hell I go away for one day for an operation and find all hell has broken out here!!!!  And @Col. has come up with the GB idea!!!  I'd better go back and lie down!

On 3/11/2020 at 9:03 AM, helios16v said:

Most would probably have been fairly clean as they were being specifically prepped for various retirement celebrations...unlike the early low viz gull grey & white line jets of the late '70s.  CAG jets however would've had a bit of color and still a fair bit of weathering on the TPS greys.

of yeah even the CAG birds got quite grubby especially the ones operation in the Middle East. They were only even in pristine condition out of maintenance and at the very end of the Squadron life.

This is my fav site for great reference photos of US Navy aircraft, you just need to know the Squadron code (VF, VFA etc) and the Air Wing and you're set. 

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/first.htm

On 3/12/2020 at 5:14 AM, Col. said:

Good point Chris, we really should add his name to save him missing out :wicked: Same goes for @trickyrich who's got Tomcats in his stash for a VF-31 project...

I'm here.....hobbled out of bed especially to see what's happened in the asylum/zoo ........ can see lots of :poop:is being thrown around by the chimps! :rofl2:

Of course I'll be in....actual would have though my name would have been added early on even if I wasn't here...... and yes I can Co-host if need be. And by the looks O it you need me already......unless they've managed to clone @Tony Oliver arleady!!! :whistle:

Oh course it'll be a Tamiya 1/48th VF-31 CAG bird, have F-14A in the stash but will probably have another D model by then. Have VF-31 CAG decals for both. I still can't see myself buying the AMK beast, still too expensive, don't need slats & flaps dropped, and I still rate the Tamiya one as AWESOME+++++!

Gosh this thread is only 2 days old and it nearly has the names!!

PSA announcement: Undue references to THAT 5'5" annoying toothy midget will be debt with swiftly, you all know who i mean!!! :fight:

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

And by the looks of it you need me already......unless they've managed to clone @Tony Oliver arleady!!! 

Is that a hint towards me being a host? 😂

I won’t rule it out however cannot fully commit until there is a definite timeframe for this stgb. Then I can check whether I will be away with work which equals no time for builds and limited time online to cheer on and offer support/guidance. 
However if I am clear/UK based then I am game. 

Tony

Just now, Hockeyboy76 said:

Thanks, going to be hard to come up with a “personal connection” though 🧐

Did you ever see an F-14 at an airshow? Watch Top Gun on a date?

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Did you ever see an F-14 at an airshow? Watch Top Gun on a date?

Now you mention it, when I bought a new stereo stack system, it had a surround sound function and speakers, so it was promptly wired up to the tv and “Top Gun” was the chosen dvd for checking the surround sound. Lets just say the rest of the block was less than impressed. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Now you mention it, when I bought a new stereo stack system, it had a surround sound function and speakers, so it was promptly wired up to the tv and “Top Gun” was the chosen dvd for checking the surround sound. Lets just say the rest of the block was less than impressed. 

Can't understand why. Must have been like a concert for free :D 

• Haha 1

Anyone else up for this one? With the new Academy kit starting to become available it'd be a great reason to add one (at least ;) ) into the stash :whistle:

Only two more names and we're into the calendar gang. Anyone else want to play?

In the meantime here's a thread on the new Academy 72nd scale kit and at the very end our own @Tony Olivermentions a couple of improvement sents he's working on for potential aftermarket release.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andwil said:

I have a Hasegawa Tomcat that I have been meaning to build as an Iranian bird.  Count me in. (Although joining an F-14 GB alongside @Tony Oliver is a bit daunting!)

AW

Cool, welcome along :) although I think @Tony Oliver's presence in this GB will be a big help to us all rather than anything to be concerned by ;) 

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Cool, welcome along :) although I think @Tony Oliver's presence in this GB will be a big help to us all rather than anything to be concerned by ;) 

Yeah of course will be glad to help pointing people in the right direction in terms of matching kits/features/schemes/decals although I do realise some people aren’t bothered about 100% accuracy. 

Hopefully will be able to co-host work commitments permitting and advice and encourage along the way 👌🏽

• Thanks 1

I love the F-14, though I have never built one and don’t have one in the stash...what is the best recommendation for a beginner-moderate builder 1/72 kit please? 

7 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah of course will be glad to help pointing people in the right direction in terms of matching kits/features/schemes/decals

Hello Tony... Thanks for helping out. When you have time as this is a long way off yet, could you let me know some specifics. Possibly when VF-74 first got the Tomcat, what kind of paint, and was it higher visibility markings ? I prefer the Gull grey to the TPS scheme. If I cant do an colorful VF-74 then I will fall back on my other choices VF-1, VF-32, VF-84, VF-111, and or VF-143. One of them besides VF-1 should be early scheme high visibility. I plan on using the New mold academy kit if thats the best option but if not will get the best one i can $ afford. 

Dennis

Count me in for this one please! Always love a good Tomcat build. 

9 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I love the F-14, though I have never built one and don’t have one in the stash...what is the best recommendation for a beginner-moderate builder 1/72 kit please? 

You might want to try the new Academy kit. Nicely detailed and fits really well. Parts included allow you to build any Tomcat sans those with the early beaver tail. Just add a set of aftermarket NACES seats and you can build a D. Quite the bang for your buck.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Tony... Thanks for helping out. When you have time as this is a long way off yet, could you let me know some specifics. Possibly when VF-74 first got the Tomcat, what kind of paint, and was it higher visibility markings ? I prefer the Gull grey to the TPS scheme. If I cant do an colorful VF-74 then I will fall back on my other choices VF-1, VF-32, VF-84, VF-111, and or VF-143. One of them besides VF-1 should be early scheme high visibility. I plan on using the New mold academy kit if thats the best option but if not will get the best one i can $ afford. 

Dennis

Yes you can do a vf 74 in high viz. By the time they got their tomcats the gull over white scheme had been phased out and they were all over light gull grey. The VF1 scheme goes right back to the beginning as they along with vf2 got the first tomcat deployment. It would be a case of checking the buno and date of scheme to get the features right (see next comment below) but they really were some of the most colourful if that’s your thing. 

2 hours ago, madcat911 said:

You might want to try the new Academy kit. Nicely detailed and fits really well. Parts included allow you to build any Tomcat sans those with the early beaver tail. Just add a set of aftermarket NACES seats and you can build a D. Quite the bang for your buck.

Mark

Watch this space mate, working on an early beavertail for the Acad kit. Should be ready along with some other bits before this stgb starts. In fact it’s all I’ve done this week modelling wise. There are some pics of it in the ‘new academy tomcat released’ thread. 
Hopefully this will be the incentive to get a little ebay shop set up for the few conversion kits I have been working on the past few years. 

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:33 AM, madcat911 said:

You're number 25 and pull us up to the required count for a place on the calendar :D 

Guess we better tell @Enzo Matrix

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Yes please, Hasegawa F-14A in the stash. Been contemplating it for the Vietnam GB - but I've had so many Vietnam additions to my stash lately that I rather spread them out a bit :)