F-14 Tomcat STGB Chat

Col.

15 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Several of the late D's that were one of the squadrons heading into the Tomcat's sunset had rather colorful schemes as well.

Oh, now there's an idea for a double build, a first and last jet from a particular squadron :hmmm:

9 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

Oh I suppose so...

You know you want to :D 

• Like 1

Hmmm ... I know what i say will get my backside strung up, but im not a huge fan of swing wing fighters in general. I already have a VF-143 “Pukin dogs” Tomcat (original academy boxing). However Im thinking i need a VF-74 “Be-devilers”, VF-84 “Jolly Rogers”, or a VF-111 “Sundowners” in my collection. Not all three mind you but at least one. Leaning towards VF-74 as Im a big fan of the squadron. That or to replace my 2nd ever Tomcat build from 1985 would be VF-111. I think my first was a 1/72 VF-32 swordsmen from 1981/82. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Several of the late D's that were one of the squadrons heading into the Tomcat's sunset had rather colorful schemes as well.

I'll  look into that chris, would they have had that fantastic weathering look of the earlier marks?

5 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I'll  look into that chris, would they have had that fantastic weathering look of the earlier marks?

Most would probably have been fairly clean as they were being specifically prepped for various retirement celebrations...unlike the early low viz gull grey & white line jets of the late '70s.  CAG jets however would've had a bit of color and still a fair bit of weathering on the TPS greys.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm ... I know what i say will get my backside strung up, but im not a huge fan of swing wing fighters in general. I already have a VF-143 “Pukin dogs” Tomcat (original academy boxing). However Im thinking i need a VF-74 “Be-devilers”, VF-84 “Jolly Rogers”, or a VF-111 “Sundowners” in my collection. Not all three mind you but at least one. Leaning towards VF-74 as Im a big fan of the squadron. That or to replace my 2nd ever Tomcat build from 1985 would be VF-111. I think my first was a 1/72 VF-32 swordsmen from 1981/82. 

VF-74 is a less common choice of squadron but no less valid than any other :) 

32 minutes ago, Robert said:

Just purchased the Sundowners VF-111 sheet so count me in.

Regards

Robert

Welcome along Robert. How many options does that sheet provide for the F-14?

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Welcome along Robert. How many options does that sheet provide for the F-14?

I got the Furball sheet and it's more of an history sheet of VF-111 flying the Tomcat , 

FBD72009_1.jpg?t=1576408738

Regards

Robert

• Like 3

I will have a go at this. I don't have a modern high-tech kit, but do have something available in the stash in the shape of the old Revell (Monogram) 1/48 F-14 D.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I got the Furball sheet and it's more of an history sheet of VF-111 flying the Tomcat , 

Regards

Robert

Wow! Am I correct in counting 19 different options?

*Edit* Looked again and sure enough it says so on the sheet :doh:

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

I will have a go at this. I don't have a modern high-tech kit, but do have something available in the stash in the shape of the old Revell (Monogram) 1/48 F-14 D.

Cheers,

Mark.

From what I can recall of the Monogram F-14 it was a nice kit regardless of its age Mark but didn't realise it was available as a D.

Edited by Col.

31 minutes ago, Col. said:

Wow! Am I correct in counting 19 different options?

*Edit* Looked again and sure enough it says so on the sheet :doh:

From what I can recall of the Monogram F-14 it was a nice kit regardless of its age Mark but didn't realise it was available as a D.

Not sure that it is Monogram hence the brackets, I should have put a ? as well, anyway I remember getting it from Woollies for practically nothing just before the Cheltenham store closed, which is a long time ago! it is kit No. 05733 which contained all the 'stuff' a modeller would require...apparently. The kit definitely isn't modern, the tail planes are moulded as part of the fuselage, and a few other oddities, I haven't looked at it for a while as its in the secondary stash in the loft.

29 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Not sure that it is Monogram hence the brackets, I should have put a ? as well, anyway I remember getting it from Woollies for practically nothing just before the Cheltenham store closed, which is a long time ago! it is kit No. 05733 which contained all the 'stuff' a modeller would require...apparently. The kit definitely isn't modern, the tail planes are moulded as part of the fuselage, and a few other oddities, I haven't looked at it for a while as its in the secondary stash in the loft.

Had a look on Scalemates and they list it as the Monogram kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05733-grumman-f-14d-tomcat--1253334

No bad thing in my personal opinion.

25 minutes ago, Sleepwalker said:

What is the timeframe we're talking about?

Well, "...Ghostrider, the pattern is full..." in the GB calendar until later in 2021 therefore we're looking at full year before this one launches. Does that work for you?

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

I have a Hasegawa F-14 buried deep in the stash that needs digging out. Count me in.

Dave

Cool, you're in Dave, is that the 72nd or 48th scale kit you have?

Just now, Col. said:

Cool, you're in Dave, is that the 72nd or 48th scale kit you have?

1/72, Atlantic Fleet Squadrons boxing, so likely to be VF84 (very common I know).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Had a look on Scalemates and they list it as the Monogram kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05733-grumman-f-14d-tomcat--1253334

No bad thing in my personal opinion.

Well, "...Ghostrider, the pattern is full..." in the GB calendar until later in 2021 therefore we're looking at full year before this one launches. Does that work for you?

Aye, count me in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rafalbert said:

1/72, Atlantic Fleet Squadrons boxing, so likely to be VF84 (very common I know).

A popular choice for good reason B) 

1 hour ago, Sleepwalker said:

Aye, count me in.

Added your name to the list :) 

10 minutes ago, depressed lemur said:

I have an a and d in the ready stash. I'm in.

Good man. You in for doing both?

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Regards

Robert

Yeah got this sheet in 72nd too the other day, ready for a ‘toothy & tactical tomcat triple’ build. Guess which one’s off the sheet i’ll be doing... 😎

Here’s to hoping there downsize more of their colours and markings sheets too over the next year like they did with the part one 👌🏽

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah got this sheet in 72nd too the other day, ready for a ‘toothy & tactical tomcat triple’ build. Guess which one’s off the sheet i’ll be doing... 😎

Here’s to hoping there downsize more of their colours and markings sheets too over the next year like they did with the part one 👌🏽

Does that mean you're joining us for this one Tony?

2 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Yeah, why not.

Why not indeed :D 

35 minutes ago, moviedrone said:

Yes please... I have a Tamiya F14D in the stash waiting for a special occasion.

What better occasion than this ;) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, helios16v said:

When is @Tony Oliver not up for a Tomcat build?  :wicked:

Pretty sure the correct question isn't if, but how many?

Good point Chris, we really should add his name to save him missing out :wicked: Same goes for @trickyrich who's got Tomcats in his stash for a VF-31 project...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1