F-14 Tomcat STGB Chat

Col.

56 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

What's my silly BM handle?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Your most appropriate BM handle has been added to the list Bill :)

Just catching up on the GB's for this year.

This is a definite if I can get myself organised.

Hobby Boss's 1/48 F-14A is sitting there waiting with Afterburner 'Victory Cats - VF-84 F-14A Tomcat 1881-1994.

Yes another Jolly Roger's ride but it's iconic and I haven't done one yet.

Watching and waiting,

Cheers all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Dog said:

Just catching up on the GB's for this year.

This is a definite if I can get myself organised.

Hobby Boss's 1/48 F-14A is sitting there waiting with Afterburner 'Victory Cats - VF-84 F-14A Tomcat 1881-1994.

Yes another Jolly Roger's ride but it's iconic and I haven't done one yet.

Watching and waiting,

Cheers all.

While VF-84 will no doubt be a popular choice that's for good reason so your one will be most welcome :)

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, I see a similarity to a certain GB last year that started at roughly the same time and also contained a Swinger...Luckily i do not have to design an 3D print a Mehrzweckwaffe-1 for this!

The bad part is that the 1:1 house project will be in the final stages at that time which will take all my time up until the end of  October.

If I have a hobbyroom at that time then maybe this is possible?

A Tamiya F-14A and VF-111 (if the AreoMaster sheet fits) would be a fun (fin) project  to do though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Hmmm, I see a similarity to a certain BG last year that started at roughly the same time and also contained a Swinger...Luckily i do not have to design an 3D print a Mehrzweckwaffe-1 for this!

The bad part is that the 1:1 house project will be in the final stages at that time which will take all my time up until the end of  October.

If I have a hobbyroom at that time then maybe this is possible?

A Tamiya F-14A and VF-111 (if the AreoMaster sheet fits) would be a fun (fin) project  to do though!

Things could be very different by the time this GB comes around Chris so perhaps we'll see your VF-111 project :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/24/2021 at 12:08 PM, Gidge said:

Count me in. I've been planning to do a Tomcat in the near future and this seems like a good time

Got you counted :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just added another 1/48 Tamiya -A to the stash... Was tempted to build the Hasegawa kit of the same variant and scale that's been in the stash for almost a decade now, but given the time constraints I feel it will have to be a Tamiya kit. 

Now to decide the livery. I have the Fightertown Top Gun decal sheet with the intention of building Maverick & Goose's mount from the movie... If not that I'm very keen to build a VF-32, 33, or 143 a/c. 

Does anyone know of a decal sheet that contains lo-viz decals for a vf-33 aircraft with these markings?

spacer.png

I've seen the FCM sheet, but I prefer the tail markings for the above a/c. 

Daryl 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:33 AM, daryl_five_zero said:

Does anyone know of a decal sheet that contains lo-viz decals for a vf-33 aircraft with these markings?

spacer.png

Mircoscale does a set, 48-267 "F-14 Tomcat VF-21 & VF-33", Microscale decals can be pretty hard to find so you'll need to do some searching. 

Though these guys have them at the moment, have bought decals from them before and they've been fine.

https://www.ultracast.ca/Microscale-48-267-F-14-Tomcat-p/ms48_0267.htm

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Mircoscale does a set, 48-267 "F-14 Tomcat VF-21 & VF-33", Microscale decals can be pretty hard to find so you'll need to do some searching. 

Though these guys have them at the moment, have bought decals from them before and they've been fine.

https://www.ultracast.ca/Microscale-48-267-F-14-Tomcat-p/ms48_0267.htm

Thanks for the reply, Rich. 

Although I have bought from Ultracast in the past and have been astounded at the speed and efficiency they got my parcel to the UK, since we are currently going through certain ahem, hiccups with trade on an international level... I had seen they had those and tried to purchase from them, only to be reminded that Ultracast aren't shipping to the UK, and although they have an Ebay store to circumvent this, they aren't listed on there.

I think I'll have to do a little more digging around, or reassess what this build will be finished as; I have a feeling the microscale decals will be a little more trouble to find than they're worth! The VF-33 build can go on the backburner for now. I feel the need... the need for an easier to source livery to complete my Tomcat in! 

Cheers, 

Daryl 

• Haha 1

@daryl_five_zero  Arrr ok, I have had the same problem with other sellers online!!

I don't know about the Etsy site (have never bought anything from it) but there is another set available for an online store in Arizona, not as cheap though but a lot closer I suspect. They might be worth a try? Due to age they are probably quite hard to find now and a wee bit expensive when you do. I have used old Microscale decals before and they still behave quite nicely.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/609137676/microscale-48-267-148-scale-grumman-f-14?ref=shop_home_recs_1

Given time I could probably find others...I have a knack of finding hard to get stuff on the net...mainly because I'm always looks for that hard to get stuff for myself! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@trickyrich oh wow, I'm impressed! I won't lie, I've never even considered Etsy before; that's opened my eyes to a while new world of possibilities!

Will have to check if they're still around closer to payday - it's a little more than I've typically paid for decals - but it might be a case of get them when you can! 

Thanks for that, Rich. You should consider starting a business out of sourcing hard to find modelling accessories for a charge: you're obviously good at it! 😉 

Daryl 

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

@daryl_five_zero ...it's more of a case that I spend WAY TOO much time looking for and buying AM stuff for my builds........ arr it's more like "my name is Rich and I have an AM addiction"!! :D

Hello Rich … The sooner we admit these things the sooner we can get the help we need. 😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Rich … The sooner we admit these things the sooner we can get the help we need. 😉

By "get the help we need" I assume you mean finding the mythical unicorn aftermarket parts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's said that the first step to solving a problem is admitting it exists. In our case I'd say it's WAAAYYY too late for that :lol:

• Haha 2

On 13/07/2021 at 00:57, Col. said:

It's said that the first step to solving a problem is admitting it exists. In our case I'd say it's WAAAYYY too late for that :lol:

Stop apologising for who and what you are. Embrace it and enjoy life. 

• Haha 1

... I do until SHMBO sees the number of parcels I receive in the mail each wee!

I try to tell her I byt them now because I won't be able afford them when I retire.......it's just that at the moment I'll need to live to I'm 150yo odd to build them all! :D

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Arrrrrr how many of us here have just realised that this GB starts in 2 weeks!!!!!!     :yikes: :frantic:

I have everything all ready and planned for this one except for one thing............ TIME!!!!!!! 

• Haha 3

I was thinking I had a couple more months until you mentioned it the other day.  I’ve rooted through the stash (1/72 Hase F-14A) and dug out some decals (VF-143).  Not sure when I’ll start on it though, but at least I’ve got something lined out.

• Like 2