F-14 Tomcat STGB Chat

Col.

Evening Lads,

Just seen this myself and looking at my stash I have 5 x 1/72 F-14's, 4 of them from Hasegawa.  Only issue is that they are from Ace Combat and Macross, so not What-if's but maybe Sci-Fi?  Would these be acceptable?  I have skimmed the chat thread and as of yet there is no rules thread (I bet there is now).  Failing that, I think I have some 1/144's floating around.

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

I bought a kit months ago for this GB (Hobbyboss 1/72 easy assembly) but got a mountain of half finished GB builds missing their

deadlines right now as the mojo is on low power and life's got in the way lately hopefully a bit of inspiration will come my way once

some of this GB's builds get started.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With builds in the Hellcat and High Wing GBs, a 3rd is not the wisest choice. I'll start when my Hellcat is done.

I'll be one of the few to build a 1/48 F-14 that isn't Tamiya. :doh:

I'll entertain you with HB's F-14A or F-14D. :rofl2:

• Like 3

On 9/12/2021 at 9:51 PM, Dazzio said:

Evening Lads,

Just seen this myself and looking at my stash I have 5 x 1/72 F-14's, 4 of them from Hasegawa.  Only issue is that they are from Ace Combat and Macross, so not What-if's but maybe Sci-Fi?  Would these be acceptable?  I have skimmed the chat thread and as of yet there is no rules thread (I bet there is now).  Failing that, I think I have some 1/144's floating around.

Kind regards,

Dazz

Ace Combat and Macross schemes are indeed acceptable within the scope of this GB Dazz :) While not actual in-service example schemes the same could be said of other examples such as those used in the Top Gun film so I'm happy to allow them.

• Thanks 1

Eek, just about catching up with myself on GBs and here comes another one. So have to get my two 1/144 F16s done this week then move my two 1/144 Phantoms along a bit before starting my (err) two 1/144 Tomcats ( anyone seeing a pattern here) A nice looking Revell and a (possibly) possibly dodgy Heller kit,

while moving along my three Bristols, a Junkers and an AHRLAC and of course my T60, and at the same time finishing my sixteen 109s ( if I can find where I put the tail wheels) and lest I forget finishing off my two French Fancy builds.  We won’t mention the shelf of doom till KUTA XIII comes around.

Simples ehhh

Note to self; never let your WIP get so big again :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

I had totally forgotten about this GB... I can make no promise at the moment, but if it's acceptable I have a Hasegawa "Bicentennial" kit in 1/72 that I started a while ago only to have to stop working on it for a number of reasons. Really I only painted the cockpit parts and maybe I glued the wings together without slats and flaps, I would say it's way below the 25% usually given as limit for group builds here but I'll leave it to the hosts to decide. Plan would be to build the VF-14 Bicentennial bird from the box

Should this not be accetable, I'll grab something else from the stash, if there's something I have no lack of are Tomcat kits in all scales apart from 1/144

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Christer A said:

Looking at the list of kits to be started here I can but wonder where all the AMK F-14D are?

Did the sheer build-joy from Tamiyas D led them to a quiet retirement as loft insulation?

Hmm, that's a good point, early days yet though so we may see a few soon enough.

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I had totally forgotten about this GB... I can make no promise at the moment, but if it's acceptable I have a Hasegawa "Bicentennial" kit in 1/72 that I started a while ago only to have to stop working on it for a number of reasons. Really I only painted the cockpit parts and maybe I glued the wings together without slats and flaps, I would say it's way below the 25% usually given as limit for group builds here but I'll leave it to the hosts to decide. Plan would be to build the VF-14 Bicentennial bird from the box

Should this not be accetable, I'll grab something else from the stash, if there's something I have no lack of are Tomcat kits in all scales apart from 1/144

That's well within the 25% limit Giorgio so feel free to join in with it any time you can :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Might be biting off more than I can chew at his stage but thinking of entering the D kit I mistakenly purchased, Revell have the aircraft as overall Gull grey can anyone confirm it is as another aircraft wearing a similar scheme was in the TPS scheme?  I haven’t got the full paints for that but am well stocked for full grey.photo_400_57705.jpg 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

As a newcomer can I be a late starter (and possibly an unlikely finisher!) for this GB? Looks like it might be a fun way to learn on the way through, and it helps me decide what to build next!

Academy's 1/72 F-14A for me. Have ordered the Milspec VF-51 Screaming Eagles decals. Don't think I saw anyone doing a VF-51 jet so adds to the variety.

I am a very recent returnee to modelling after nearly 30 years so mine will be basic build

Edited by Wings unlevel
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:07 AM, Wings unlevel said:

As a newcomer can I be a late starter (and possibly an unlikely finisher!) for this GB? Looks like it might be a fun way to learn on the way through, and it helps me decide what to build next!

Academy's 1/72 F-14A for me. Have ordered the Milspec VF-51 Screaming Eagles decals. Don't think I saw anyone doing a VF-51 jet so adds to the variety.

I am a very recent returnee to modelling after nearly 30 years so mine will be basic build

Absolutely, by all means, come and join the fun :)

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Marklo said:

So a minor dilemma that maybe the forums can help me with.

When parked are the wings more likely to be swept or extended or is it a random or pilot thing?

Swept to take up less room I think.