Short Empire from Sunderland using Adrian's vacu fuselage

JWM

Hi,

I am back in business! I mean I have received from @Ed Russell conversion set (decals + elements for MG sites) by Red Roo. 49980413942_d3ab2bfb11_b.jpg

Ed, many thanks again!!! I appreciate your help with photo documentation too.

Due to COVID lockdown it took 60 days to reach Poland from Australia, so right half of globe without airmail....Back in XIX century post technique :) But it works!

So I start to move on with finish. Keep tuned! :) (who interesting)

Regards

J-W

• Like 7

On 3/22/2020 at 6:13 PM, JWM said:

Hi,

I have pause with this project but I have excuse ;)

1. I have finished He 59 B and presented it even on RFI

2. I am ending RCAF Stranraer, it is pretty advanced

49688366246_4b44d408c9_b.jpg

regarding Empire there is some progress. I have looked at Airfix engines and the 1960 standard is difficult to be accept today. I think I will keep the cowlings themselves, but I will remove current imitation of engines and the props will be replaced. In my drawer I've found only 3 complete propellers I think from MPM/SH/Italeri Wellingron. The fourth prop has only single blade. So meanwhile I am copying in resin four engines from Italeri Sunderland (so far two are ready) and I've just copied two blades of propellers. Here is what I have:

49688671252_61b83aa7d5_b.jpg

Al lthe time I am thinking on ailerons: is there is difference brtween Sunderland and Empire in them? Some drawings suggests, that in case of Empire the aileron leading edge bounds a bit back while going to the direction of wingtip. In Sunderland it is always stright, Is it a real difference?

To be cont.

Regards

J-W

J-W

The Stranraer looks good.  Any chance of us seeing more photos in the “Ready for Inspection” pages?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shark444 said:

The Stranraer looks good.  Any chance of us seeing more photos in the “Ready for Inspection” pages?

Thank you. Of course, mine Stranraer is here:

Regards

J-W

60 days is not bad. I just received a package in Abu Dhabi which was posted in the US on Feb 28th. I got it last week! 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 07/06/2020 at 14:41, Shark444 said:

in case of Empire the aileron leading edge bounds a bit back while going to the direction of wingtip

This picture shows a slight curve.

[edit - and note the different window configurations in the front cabin]

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks like the natural curve following the tapering of the wing at the tip of a straight aileron to me, but you might be right.

The build has been utterly brilliant J-W.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Yeh, indeed and I did this curve correction. The other difference in ailerons regarding Sunderland is position of driving (control? - how it should be said?) mechanism. Empire has it closer to center of aileron. At least the difference is on drawings...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

The pic seems to show a bend forwards on the near wing, and backwards on the further wing. A curve rearwards could be there but certainly not forwards, I'd agree with Bill on that.

Coming on nicely J-W!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

The instructions should explain which guns to use on which number flying boat at the point in time we have depicted it. I think only one had the Brownings. Incidentally, the Scarff rings and the Lewis guns came from pensioned-off Westland Wapitis - that's how badly the RAAF was in terms of equipment at the start of the war with the Japs.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The instructions should explain which guns to use on which number flying boat at the point in time we have depicted it. I think only one had the Brownings. Incidentally, the Scarff rings and the Lewis guns came from pensioned-off Westland Wapitis - that's how badly the RAAF was in terms of equipment at the start of theJapanesewar.

Thanks !  So I made the ailerons control mechanism

49999772682_6faa757dc8_o.jpg

attached MG and fairings on top of fuselage

49999519006_968b1374ff_o.jpg

And glued beach u/c

49999772632_d98bf47a56_o.jpg

49999518586_892ff97573_o.jpg

To be continued

Regards

J-W

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

where the Browning 50 cals were scavenged from

Quote - "scrounged from (USAAF) wrecks in the Darwin area".

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

must have needed an extra rubber bungee or two!

They must have done something to cope with the extra weight. The nearer one seems to have a larger bracket than a Lewis or Vickers. RAAF (and most air forces') engineers of the time were very ingenious and they would have come up with some sort of solution.

• Like 2

Interesting discussion on those MGs. The MG is supported close to his CG I think. The bigger weight of course did not helped using Browning but photos shown them, However soon they were removed at all and Empires were rather phased out from first line - this confirms that it was not perfect anyway, as usually happens with in-field modifications done to cover shortages...

I hope to go for RFI soon :).

Regards,  

J-W 

• Like 1

OK, I think Empire is finished! :)

50005806167_1d404ee84e_b.jpg

More photos on RFI soon

Many thanks for all comments, likes and watching/reading. Particular thanks for  @AdrianMF and @Ed Russell for their support and help, which cannot be overestimated :)

Regards

J-W

PS>from ~7 PM (CET)

This photo

50005935792_c4b9642ae7_b.jpg

and much more here:

Edited by JWM
  • Like 11

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just caught up with one Jerzy, absolutely stunning mate, congratulations :worthy:

Cheers Pat 

Pat, many thanks! BTW, what about our Savoia project? Currently I am finishing with SM 73 from SM 81...

• Like 1