No more aircraft at Bruntingthorpe?

Julien

Just recieved this from the LPG:

Hi Aaron

Only the business at Bruntingthorpe has been sold the land still belongs to the Walton family.

We have been told we are safe and will not have to move, as for the future of things like the open days we will need to wait and see how things develop.

Thank you for thinking about us and hope to see you at Bruntingthorpe soon when things return to normal.

Cheers

Scott

LPG

Bruntingthorpe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Vader said:

Just recieved this from the LPG:

Hi Aaron

Only the business at Bruntingthorpe has been sold the land still belongs to the Walton family.

We have been told we are safe and will not have to move, as for the future of things like the open days we will need to wait and see how things develop.

Thank you for thinking about us and hope to see you at Bruntingthorpe soon when things return to normal.

Cheers

Scott

LPG

Bruntingthorpe

That sounds promising.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Statement from the Buccaneer Aviation Group:

"The Buccaneer Aviation Group is very pleased to announce that our new home will be

Cotswold Airport – Kemble

As many of you will know Kemble has been home to some of the Buccaneers before, following retirement from the Royal Air Force. And we look forward to making some more Rolls Royce Spey noise there for you all to hear !

Following consultation with Cox automotive at Bruntingthorpe a timeline is in place that will see us vacated and in residence at Kemble before September 30th.

In the next few hours and days you will see that we have been busy preparing for this and will be launching a crowdfunding scheme with some exciting rewards for our supporters to help us achieve our goal and allow the aircraft to continue to move under their power.

Transport quotes are already being received and we really do need your help !

The Buccaneer Aviation Group will be able to continue to hold taxi days and other events at Kemble to fund our continuing existence and we have also agreed to provide active care for the Canberra pr9’S , Hunter T7 and Gnat already in residence.

we are extremely pleased to have found a new home where we can continue to keep the history alive, and thank you in advance for any help given.

We will of course keep you updated as the move progresses and hope to see you all at Cotswold airport."

Good news that taxi days will continue. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Statement from the Buccaneer Aviation Group:

"The Buccaneer Aviation Group is very pleased to announce that our new home will be

Cotswold Airport – Kemble

As many of you will know Kemble has been home to some of the Buccaneers before, following retirement from the Royal Air Force. And we look forward to making some more Rolls Royce Spey noise there for you all to hear !

Following consultation with Cox automotive at Bruntingthorpe a timeline is in place that will see us vacated and in residence at Kemble before September 30th.

In the next few hours and days you will see that we have been busy preparing for this and will be launching a crowdfunding scheme with some exciting rewards for our supporters to help us achieve our goal and allow the aircraft to continue to move under their power.

Transport quotes are already being received and we really do need your help !

The Buccaneer Aviation Group will be able to continue to hold taxi days and other events at Kemble to fund our continuing existence and we have also agreed to provide active care for the Canberra pr9’S , Hunter T7 and Gnat already in residence.

we are extremely pleased to have found a new home where we can continue to keep the history alive, and thank you in advance for any help given.

We will of course keep you updated as the move progresses and hope to see you all at Cotswold airport."

Good news that taxi days will continue. 

Very good news.  Much nearer to where I live as well.

3 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Now all we need to do is have the CAA allow a ferry flight per cab...…..🤣

Will never happen. At least the bucc is easier to transport by road. Fold everything then at an angle on the wagon and it wont be too wide. 

4 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Now all we need to do is have the CAA allow a ferry flight per cab...…..🤣

Now that's the sort of dream I would be embarrassed about 😂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mhaselden said:

This isn't good news...this is GREAT news.  Really pleased that a new site has been found for the Bruntingthorpe collection.  

Mark,

Sorry to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but the Buccaneers are only one of the groups based at Bruntingthorpe. It's not a single collection, more a collection of groups with similar aims for their particular aircraft. I agree that the Buccaneers moving to Kemble is good news, but that still leaves the remaining groups (like the LPG for example) to potentially look, or be prepared to look, for a new home. Whichever way you look at it though, it is a shame that it has come to this.

Mark.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

From the ZA147 group on Facebook

"

It's with great sadness from the VC10 rescue and relocation team from Bruntingthorpe looking after ZD241 & ZA147 that we have now closed down the go fund me fundraising campaign and go fund me are now in the process of returning your very kind donations.

Unfortunately we've been unable to raise anything close to our huge target and after 1 month of fundraising we raised £4814. It's at this point were we are required to withdraw funding and at that point it starts to cost the group money. The decision was taken to allow the fundraising run for one month then look at how much money had been raised. Given the small amount raised against our target it was time to close the account down and refund everyone.

The VC10 team would like to thank everyone who took the time to donate and raise awareness of our rescue campaign. If we'd have had a longer time scale I truly believe we could have raised the funds but sadly time was always against us.

So what happens next: We have until 31st October to move the jets and at that point should they still be at Bruntingthorpe then court action will be taken against the aircraft's owner and it then will be up to him to remove them.

We don't know at this point what the future holds for the two Brunty VC10's and we will keep you all up to date of any information we get. Thank you for all your help.

"

Can't they just park the cars under the wings or something...................

There is an article in the Sept edition of Flypast about the Lightning Preservation Group at Bruntingthorpe. Seems it is staying put.

It seems to me that the “ownership” position is complicated. Cox Automotive have leased most of, but not all, the Bruntingthorpe site. LPG occupies land retained by David Walton along with land “to the right and rear” of the Q shed. The latter is earmarked as possible space for the remaining jets. However the problem will be that a new access will be required as Cox want to erect new security fencing. That will no doubt mean dealing with the local authority to get the necessary planning permissions etc.

LPG plans to keep both Lightnings in full ground running condition.

https://www.lightnings.org.uk

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

From the ZA147 group on Facebook

"

It's with great sadness from the VC10 rescue and relocation team from Bruntingthorpe looking after ZD241 & ZA147 that we have now closed down the go fund me fundraising campaign and go fund me are now in the process of returning your very kind donations.

Unfortunately we've been unable to raise anything close to our huge target and after 1 month of fundraising we raised £4814. It's at this point were we are required to withdraw funding and at that point it starts to cost the group money. The decision was taken to allow the fundraising run for one month then look at how much money had been raised. Given the small amount raised against our target it was time to close the account down and refund everyone.

The VC10 team would like to thank everyone who took the time to donate and raise awareness of our rescue campaign. If we'd have had a longer time scale I truly believe we could have raised the funds but sadly time was always against us.

So what happens next: We have until 31st October to move the jets and at that point should they still be at Bruntingthorpe then court action will be taken against the aircraft's owner and it then will be up to him to remove them.

We don't know at this point what the future holds for the two Brunty VC10's and we will keep you all up to date of any information we get. Thank you for all your help.

"

Can't they just park the cars under the wings or something...................

Looking at it from the Cox side of things for a moment, how do they keep the vehicles they are storing for other parties free from theft and damage if Joe Public has access to the site to wander round the aircraft of the various groups on site? While you or I would not consider indulging in criminal activities there are those nefarious types who would seek to profit from the situation.

At least two of the Buccaneers were moved to their new home on Friday 21st August. I was driving north of the M5 when having just passed Junction 11 at Staverton at about 9:30am I noticed quite a lot of people and cars congregating on the bridges over the motorway. The reason for the gatherings was soon revealed as two low loaders went by in the opposite direction carrying XW544 (the XVI Sqn jet) followed by XX894 (the 809NAS marked aircraft). Hopefully they'll have a permanent resting place at Kemble and be joined by as many of the other ex-Bruntingthorpe residents as possible.

Edited by XV571
Missing digit - XW544 is of course in 16 Sqn markings!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm very sad to see the regular cold-war jet taxy days go - they were great events and well worth attending. The site is enormous and, from where I'm sitting, it seems that there is enough space to store cars and have a large collection of aircraft, but business and politics seem to be saying otherwise, unfortunately. 

If there are any aviation-related events held on the site in the future, then I believe we should give them all the support we can. I wish the Buccanear Preservation Group every luck in making their move a success.

Cheers.

Chris. 

4 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Presumably the Tristars are actually airworthy and can be flown out? Surprised they are not gone already?

The 6 survivors were bought by a US company, Tempus Applied Solutions, back in 2017/18. Their plan was to use 3 of the AAR tanker conversions as such to provide AAR services to third parties and use the other 3 for spares. In April 2019 the company announced that it had won a $121m contract from the USN to provide AAR services. That contract award was protested and then cancelled by the USN in Oct 2019. Since then it has had its US Stock Exchange listing revoked by the SEC effective 31 July 2020.

So it doesn't sound hopeful that a use will be found for these aircraft after 6 years in mothballs. I see the axeman's firey torch approaching!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, EwenS said:

The 6 survivors were bought by a US company, Tempus Applied Solutions, back in 2017/18. Their plan was to use 3 of the AAR tanker conversions as such to provide AAR services to third parties and use the other 3 for spares. In April 2019 the company announced that it had won a $121m contract from the USN to provide AAR services. That contract award was protested and then cancelled by the USN in Oct 2019. Since then it has had its US Stock Exchange listing revoked by the SEC effective 31 July 2020.

So it doesn't sound hopeful that a use will be found for these aircraft after 6 years in mothballs. I see the axeman's firey torch approaching!

I would say that's a fair assessment! I could see one being preserved as part of a Cold War Museum, but the other five....   

57 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:
1 hour ago, EwenS said:

I would say that's a fair assessment! I could see one being preserved as part of a Cold War Museum, but the other

Hmm i dont see it myself even without my jaded perspective on the lump .....its a big ask ....just to keep it on its u/c without it collasping....Some of the small museums no doubt have a hell of a job looking after the big aircraft ....even with the best of intentions just making sure the wing spar doesnt collaspe...they have been out of service maybe 6-8 years and perhaps at the beginning there was anti deterioration maintenance carried out but when the poss USN contract fizzled out cant see that they carried on with that marlarky for too long ....its expensive 

• Like 1

Would be gutting if the Victor was scrapped, what with the future of the Marham Victor looking very dodgy as well we could end up losing two :(