Academy F-4 J US Navy 1/48

Hello,

Here goes my last project, entering the “phabulous” Phantom World. I’ve chosen the Academy kit because I’ve read some good reviews about it. But, I must say it wasn’t a flawless building. I’ve encountered a few issues like a step between the fuselage and the metallic tail cone. Hard to sand there without damaging a lot of details. And also some, IMHO, engineering issues regarding the landing gear bays and legs. These last ended up being slightly off the vertical, unless the real bird is like that, which I doubt. Anyway, perhaps I may have caused some of this problems, but, in the end, I’m quite satisfied with the result. 

Weathering was a balance between the beginning and the end of a cruise, so not that dirty…
Hope you enjoy!

Cheers!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by George72
  • Like 44

9 hours ago, Gene K said:

Beautiful, thanks. How  did you do the bleed air holes on the intake splitter plates?

Gene K

I agree, and I like to know that too, please

:clap: :clap: 

Ciao

10 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice build. Are you able to say how this kit compares with a Hasegawa 1/48 F-4 build?

Thank you! Well, I can't compare them, but most reviews consider Academy slightly better the Hasegawa, specially regarding fitting issues. As I said, I've had a few problems, nothing major but requiring careful sanding and rescribing.

9 hours ago, Gene K said:

Beautiful, thanks. How  did you do the bleed air holes on the intake splitter plates?

Gene K

Thank you!  I didn't, they were already there. It just took a wash to bring them alive. Hope I got your question right.

8 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

Phabulous job! Weathering looks spot on. And I dig the hanger.

Thank you!!

5 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Phabulous Phantom phorever, your Phantom looks awesome, well done mate.

to the Academy kit. Bad engineering but high price, i dont know if that the right way.

Thank you! Agree, they could improve it a little, it will make it a really good kit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks great! In a brilliant colour scheme & I particularly like your metal work around the exhausts, good job!,

Thank you! As for the exhaust, I discovered the smokeless engines were not delivered to the fleet until the late 70's; therefore, since this kit depicts a bird around 1972, I've decided to keep it just smoke dark, with almost no blue our yellow, as we see in later F-4s. Made things easier.....

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

Thank you!

47 minutes ago, Stelangton said:

Absolutely amazing!! Love the hanger how did do it??

Thank you! There's a company, called Coastal Kits, that sells a great number of scenarios in various scales. That's were I got this one. Check it out in the net. They're great!

Edited by George72
  • Thanks 1