1/350 Mirage Hobby HMS Anchusa

Nice work Rob although those guardrails look a tad too tall for me. Do you have access to the Shipcraft Flower Class Corvette book as there is a Lambert scale plan of Anchusa in there? The guardrails should also terminate either end of the the splinter plates on the deck edge by the 4 inch platform.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Chewbacca and Kev!!

6 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

:worthy:Love The build ,it's your fault  :whistle: I went and bought the kit ,etching,3D parts and wooden deck.   :worthy:

Sorry Chris - it might turn into a boondoggle yet :undecided:

5 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Top work again Rob, I have a suspicion that the final product will be awesome mate.

Dan 

Thanks Dan - Appreciate that -all well with you ?  Back on the pitch full time?

3 hours ago, mick b said:

Nice work Rob although those guardrails look a tad too tall for me. Do you have access to the Shipcraft Flower Class Corvette book as there is a Lambert scale plan of Anchusa in there? The guardrails should also terminate either end of the the splinter plates on the deck edge by the 4 inch platform.

Mike

Thanks Mike - it's possible you are right about the railings.  Though interestingly on Lambert's scale drawings they come out at 3.5ft.  Scaled at 1/1350 that gives us 3.04mm whereas in reality the WM are 3.0.   Either way - as the phrase goes they are the only show in town.

I have just about all of the recent common Corvette reference books, and as I mentioned earlier in the blog , there are several examples particularly of earlier Bridge A/B Corvettes where the railings unequivocally run outside of the Splinter boards.  I did wonder, ponder - reflect on the Anchusa profile and went with what you see.  I've not been able to find any original pics of Anchusa in her early bridge configuration.  I'll be building Jonquil one of these days as I love the Camo scheme and for that I'll move the spinter shield closer to the hull edge and do as you say.  Interestingly the splinter board position itself varies acording to Corvette with regard to how far from the hulll side it was placed.  I've just looked at my HMS Crcus in 1/144 and she had railings that went "outside".  all Good Corvette fun :lol:

Thanks to all who've placed "likes"

Rob

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

all Good Corvette fun 

It is not just the Corvette class I had similar fun with my Battle class trying to get some definitive info of a certain time period even the more modern types have variations as they go through re-fits not everyone's the same

Gives you some serious head scratching when looking things up  :facepalm:

Mountbatten Pink for the camo you say looking forward to see how this comes out was thinking of that for when I get round to Kelly :book:

beefy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Thanks Mike - it's possible you are right about the railings.  Though interestingly on Lambert's scale drawings they come out at 3.5ft.  Scaled at 1/1350 that gives us 3.04mm whereas in reality the WM are 3.0.   Either way - as the phrase goes they are the only show in town.

I have just about all of the recent common Corvette reference books, and as I mentioned earlier in the blog , there are several examples particularly of earlier Bridge A/B Corvettes where the railings unequivocally run outside of the Splinter boards.  I did wonder, ponder - reflect on the Anchusa profile and went with what you see.  I've not been able to find any original pics of Anchusa in her early bridge configuration.  I'll be building Jonquil one of these days as I love the Camo scheme and for that I'll move the spinter shield closer to the hull edge and do as you say.  Interestingly the splinter board position itself varies acording to Corvette with regard to how far from the hulll side it was placed.  I've just looked at my HMS Crcus in 1/144 and she had railings that went "outside".  all Good Corvette fun :lol:

Thanks to all who've placed "likes"

Rob

Hi Rob, fair enough; I stand corrected, it will certainly be a cracker once finished 👍

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Just dropped in on this, lovely! I’d love to do smaller scale ships but the PE does look a challenge! Great job though.

I’ve never done a seascape before (or a ship either yet! 😄). That’s definitely got to be the next challenge.

As per the painting, I’m having the same dilemma in my Corvette build. I’d love to make the entire thing then paint, but it’s really not possible, but the thought of gluing painted PE on to a nicely painted superstructure fills me with dread! 

Looking forward to seeing how she turns out..

Guy

• Like 2

Guy - Have you tried using "Gator's Grip" PVA glue with photo etch.  If not, it's worthwhile getting some.  Mig Ammo Ultra is an OK alternative.

It's an alternative to CA glue and works on painted surfaces.  It gives you a little bit of time to reposition before going off

Altogether less nerve wracking!

Rob

• Like 3

"Pretty in Pink"

(Well I had to get that in - didn't I ;))

DSCF9215

I love colour and this is just suuuch a Funky shade B)  There have been a variety of interpretations of this on the web.  Who knows?  it must have been pretty barmey at the time - Lord knows what the crew thought :shocked:

DSCF9226

DSCF9227

DSCF9230

the scrubbly bits are where I've gently sanded.

And Thank you @Ex-FAAWAFU Crisp:clap2:

DSCF9229

And here in Lockdown I thoroughly recommend "One man and 2 Guvnors" screened by the National Theatre on You Tube at 19.00 yesterday but available for the next 6 days.  Starring James Corden in his break-through role (after Smithy in G&S)

I cried with laughter - Treat yourself - check it out

And I see that the Globe are screening past perfromance free from April 6th.  Damn these interruptions to the plastic puttering! :wicked:

Rob

• Like 15

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

"Pretty in Pink"

Not quite as bright as your TUTU Rob 💃 but a very pleasing shade to the eye oh well best start making a list for my order to Jamie as the Perth show is off

beefy

• Thanks 1

I'm with John, not quite the pink I was expecting but then again, I didn't know what 'pink' to expect really. Putting that aside, the detail looks amazing, even more so when you consider its size.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

That is a really interesting shade, great to see something so different from the usual greens and greys. I am loving this build!

Unfortunately the world has become accustomed to thinking the Royal Navy was painted half green and half grey. Much like Eric Pilawskii's Russian Aircraft Colours books which sounded well researched until someone who understood Russian read it, thus rendering his book "Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945" and the paint chips therein a potential substitute for the toilet paper currently in short supply in the supermarkets, most of the greens shown in various books and artworks are the figments of the imaginations of people who have never troubled themselves to read any primary source documentation.  They're a scourge on modellers!

• Like 5

Well I'm pleased y'all liked the Pink.  I just think it's a great colour.

When I got out all the goodies to set up the HMS Kent blog - I realised that I'd painted up the wrong 4" gun  :undecided:  (Stultus, adipem et inebriari!)

Any idiot would know it's the "half-rounded" one on th left..................Derrr

DSCF9233

Well - now we've cleared that up - I had a soul search on the dinghies.  

The "Agassiz" book describes 16 ft dinghies whilst Lambert & Brown in the Shipcraft book and Lambert in Warship Perspectives describe a 14 ft version.  Most of those featured in plans measure out at 16 ft :hmmm:

These are the choices...

DSCF9232

I'd previously shown you the 16 ft version but I like the lifelines on the 14ft so it wins 

To masking time....

DSCF9234

DSCF9235

DSCF9236

MS2 for the hul land dk grey Non slip NARN23 for the foredeck

And a quick dry fit...

DSCF9239

I started painting the base - then had doubts - considered "laying" tissue paper over as Chris Flodbeerg advises but then cold feet - considered starting again, then in desperation put more Acrylic gel on to try to fill some of the irregularities.  it was one of those decisive days :lol:

DSCF9237

During our traiing we were always taught "See one, do one, teach one",  so with grateful acknowledgement to Jamie for the "see one"............

DSCF9238

I like this - you'll be seeing more.  The one disadvantage with enamels is that you can't use the "hairspray" for "chipping".  This technique replaces it.

DSCF9241

Subtle but effective - I had difficulty getting all the salt off!

I glazed the wheelhouse and bridge and had a go with Sticky-on wood.  My pack came from Wood Hunter from China and curiously was marked "Sell in Chinese mainland market only".  I've always been a bit nervous at the prospect of using these wood decks but it went on easy peasy

DSCF9243

DSCF9240

DSCF9242

DSCF9246

And I had a mini-debate with myself as to whether to paint the inner 2 pounder gun platform MS2.  Well I did.

I've really enjoyed this build

Thanks as ever for looking and commenting

Rob

• Like 12

Nice, Rob!

I've been trying to think what that 'pink' colour reminded me of.  It finally dawned on me.  Long story ... Picture a young (Canadian) officer cadet on his 1st training cruise.  He was given the task of painting a portion of the ship's steel deck.  That meant scraping off the old paint, applying a coat of red lead primer, waiting for it to dry, & then applying a coat of dark grey deck paint.  Once the job was finished, he would be allowed to go on shore leave.  This made the cadet very anxious to finish the job quickly. The last words out of the supervising CPO was to make sure the red lead dried fully before applying the top coat.   The job was done & the cadet went on shore.  When returning to the ship, the cadet was met by the CPO :nono:, who immediately directed him to have a look at his newly painted deck.  Much to his surprise, the deck was a nice shade of pink.  Turns out, in his rush to go on shore, the cadet didn't let the red lead dry before applying the grey paint.:doh:  The red lead bled through the grey making a nice shade of pink ... the same shade as your HMS Anchusa.:surprised:  Needless to say, that poor cadet had to scrape off the new paint & start the process all over again.  Lesson learned!  BTW, you'll note that I haven't mentioned any names. :whistle:  

John :)

• Haha 4

That's looking good Rob. I did run a thread with an F4U-1A Corsair using hairspray chipping a while ago. It does work but there's a lot of relative violence involved so salt works a bit better for enamels I think.

Did you use water for removing the salt? I run the model under a gently flowing tap and use a stiffer paint brush to encourage the salt to release its hold. With some water the salt just dissolves away easily:)

• Thanks 1

A post of pluses...

Love both lifeboats but agree with you on the lifelines

The salt technique has worked extremely well, very subtle 

Seascapes can be tease, persevere and suddenly it will all click into place

I'm still struggling to believe this is 1/350

Stay safe 

Kev

• Thanks 1

Rob, 

This is beginning to look absolutely fabulous! It looks like my 1/144 one to me. I might have to do this build next! 

I see you’ve done the PE pre painting too - I think it’s just too fiddly afterwards - as long as you don’t knock it off! That masking tape looks very close!! 

Love it.

Guy

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:33 AM, longshanks said:

Seascapes can be tease, persevere and suddenly it will all click into place

Kev

Is that a binding contract?

Cos if it is my people don't know that...........

DSCF9250

I've struggled with the cotton wool.  I tried it and it came out really dirty looking - I obviously used too much acrylic gel and wet the lot.  I had to repaint the wake using little dots of white paint to "rejuvenate" it.

Clearly one trick is to use MORE cottonwool rather than less.  Chris Flodberg talks about Medical Rayon as a superior alternative bt despite much searching in UK and Europe the answer is Nada.

I'm not certain if the crest on the swells work ???

DSCF9251

It actually looks better in the photos than in the flesh :whistle:

The final bit of bridge etch was done n the bridge house roof.  What sat within this peeps?

DSCF9249

I'm pleased with the glazing.

The hull anti-fouling was applied - my go-to paint being Model Air 71.056 previously "Black-grey" now sold as "Panzer Dark Grey".  It's a bit of a shock using acrylics after Colourcoats (and not really in a nice way).  Spray - take nozzle off - wipe needle - spray ad nauseam....

Jamie - Can I request a generic "Black Grey" as a colour - always useful for small calibre gun barrels and a host of small pieces.  I can't recall there is one currently in the range - but incredibly useful.  Thanks !!!

The decals also went on and despite being an experienced "decaler" the "6" on the port side creased :wall: leaving a gap that amazingly "filled" with some very dilute white paint :phew:

DSCF9247

DSCF9248

nearly there......

Rob

• Like 14

Hi Rob

Glazing looking great. Is it acrylic sheet or PVA?

As to seascape I'll start by putting my foot in it .....I'm assuming what you've done so far is prop wash (cos the bow is the other end :nodding:) In which case its a frothier version of your wake. If I'm barking in the wrong place the Mrs is standing by to give me a clip around the ear. (With a glint in her eyes :fight:)

Moving on due to the frequency of the seas I would call them waves. To pile up like that that is a fair wind blowing. Meaning more of the waves would be breaking. As to a braking wave think of the beach you get a trail of broken water diffusing , much like your wake. Don't forget some will be just breaking others will be wider/longer

As for diffusing I've had some success with laying down some white spirit and barely touching it with different colours/shades. The paint will diffuse its self.
Hope at least some of this makes sense and helps.

Kev

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Hi Rob

Glazing looking great. Is it acrylic sheet or PVA?

As to seascape I'll start by putting my foot in it .....I'm assuming what you've done so far is prop wash (cos the bow is the other end :nodding:) In which case its a frothier version of your wake. If I'm barking in the wrong place the Mrs is standing by to give me a clip around the ear. (With a glint in her eyes :fight:)

Kev

Thanks Kev

The Glazing is multiple layers of liquitex "High Gloss Varnish".

Dear Boy - do you know how many nautical qualifications I hold !!!!:crying:

(I am by dint of them legally qualified to bury at sea :lol:)

44 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Moving on due to the frequency of the seas I would call them waves. To pile up like that that is a fair wind blowing. Meaning more of the waves would be breaking. As to a braking wave think of the beach you get a trail of broken water diffusing , much like your wake. Don't forget some will be just breaking others will be wider/longer

As for diffusing I've had some success with laying down some white spirit and barely touching it with different colours/shades. The paint will diffuse its self.
Hope at least some of this makes sense and helps.

Kev

Wave length = approx 15m 

Sea state upper 4 with wind at approx 16 knots.  Not quite a N. Atlantic swell - but it's wind into tide and they are cresting, (How'd I do?)

Give the boy a chance - it was his first go.  

The wavelets are a pain - you've had your lot (Kind of wished I hadn't done them).

Kev - where did "the diffusing" come from? :confused:

Stay shielded

Rob

Kev 

Oh BTW - what is the name of the thing that sits on top of the enclosed bridge?

Rob

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

The Glazing is multiple layers of liquitex "High Gloss Varnish".

👍

17 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

(I am by dint of them legally qualified to bury at sea :lol:)

That would make you a Captain ...... Sir!

18 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

but it's wind into tide

'over tide' Sounds like a load of baubles to me:whistle: 

21 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

where did "the diffusing" come from?

Bottom of a wine bottle :shrug:

21 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

what is the name of the thing that sits on top of the enclosed bridge?

Open bridge  :rofl2:

Sorry ...

Going up wheelhouse/chartroom. Bridge. Compass platform. Lingerie and ladies apparel

Kev

• Haha 6