1/350 Mirage Hobby HMS Anchusa

The best way for round railings and other PE stuff is rubber eraser and a round object ( needle file, screwdriver, whatever) Just put the PE on the eraser and then roll the round thing over it applying a bit of pressure. You control the curve with the diameter of the 'round thing' and amount of applied pressure.  If it's really small, you replace the rubber eraser with the soft part of your fingertip ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking very nice Rob but I have an issue with that screen around the quad, looks to thick to me, especially when compared to the bridge screens. Now I know nothing about corvettes and you've most probably past the point you can do anything about it but it would bug me... your build.

Stuart 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fellas 

On 3/21/2020 at 9:01 PM, Michael M said:

The best way for round railings and other PE stuff is rubber eraser and a round object ( needle file, screwdriver, whatever) Just put the PE on the eraser and then roll the round thing over it applying a bit of pressure. You control the curve with the diameter of the 'round thing' and amount of applied pressure.  If it's really small, you replace the rubber eraser with the soft part of your fingertip ;) 

Michael - super tip - Thanks++++

On 3/21/2020 at 9:03 PM, Courageous said:

Looking very nice Rob but I have an issue with that screen around the quad, looks to thick to me, especially when compared to the bridge screens. Now I know nothing about corvettes and you've most probably past the point you can do anything about it but it would bug me... your build.

Stuart 

You're right Stuart

I initially thought I couldn't improve on it and left it but I need to think again :undecided: :hmmm:

Rob

• Like 1

The beauty of using Tamiya Extra thin cement is that you can re-apply it and it will effectively dissolve the previous bond.

I detached the aft gun platform  - filed the edges - putting a rim back is just not practical.  I then replaced both the girder supports

DSCF9177

Thanks Stuart - you called it right.

Rob

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

... I detached the aft gun platform  - filed the edges - putting a rim back is just not practical.  I then replaced both the girder supports

Looking good, Rob!

If ever want to put a rim on the screen around the quad, I've had some success by gluing a thin strip of plastic around the outside of the existing screen, leaving a small amount of the plastic strip sitting above the top edge of existing screen.  Then, sanding the plastic strip down flush with the top edge existing screen to make the glue joint invisible.  

John

• Like 3

Thanks John - I have done that (my 1/144 corvette build) but this tub is so small I doubt I'get the strip around.  I think there are just some compromises at these small scales

Rob

• Like 1

DSCF9179

DSCF9180

DSCF9181

Forward fairlead and bollards are fitted.  The forward gun lateral breakwater shields pose a mild problme of Placmement.  Simply put which side did the railings run?  The answer - dear Argonauts is that pics show some (especailly early corvettes) with the railings running outside of the shields and some running inside.  I've opted to place my shields so that the railings run outside

DSCF9182

Getting closer to breaking open the paint (Covid willing)

Rob

• Like 13

And Thankyou to Starling Models for this delivery

DSCF9191

I'm having to re-evaluate my response to 3D printed items.  I was initially very excited at the possibilities when the process first came about, but as I've siad several times the quality especially from Shapeways left me fairly dissatisfied.  

https://micromaster.co.nz/ and now https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/ have caused me to renew my unbridled enthusiasm at the intricate details now possible with modern printing.   Judge for yourself...

DSCF9188

This picture doesn't quite do justice - I'm taking the easy way out when it comes to HMS Kent 1941 unlike @beefy66 and @Ex-FAAWAFU who've been more manful and produced exquisite "composite" creations.

DSCF9185

The detail on the 2 pounder Pom pom is exquisite.  I think this will have to come for HMS Jonquil that sits in the 1/350 build queue. 

BTW - one of the unstated benefits of the White Ensign Models Corvette Photo-etch https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1350+Flower+Class+Corvette+Mirage+PE+35171/17584/#.Xn9ByIj7SUk

is that there are duplicates for ALL deck railings enabling you to effectively model 2 ships from the one set :clap2:

DSCF9183

FWIW the cable reels are too big for covettes but shoudl come in handy for HMS Kent 1941.  The observant amongst you will have noticed the Veteran models mk 8 Mod 4.5in gun above.  Expect HMS Kent F78 in the near term.  Peter Hall is producing an update set for modern day depiction - Yes Please.  

Rob

• Like 6

It was one of those days where a lot of work gets done with not a lot of visual progress

DSCF9193

There are 22 separate shell holders :wicked:

DSCF9196

The depth charges were fitted - each needing careful filing because they don't actually fit their "seats"

DSCF9199

DSCF9198

ladders were fitted and Imessed one up, so broke into a Flyhawk set that also came in the Starling models order (timely!)

DSCF9197

The search light tower rails were sutiably terror - inducing :phew:

DSCF9200

The main vents were fitted next to the funnel stack, as were the rear depth charge racks

DSCF9202

DSCF9201

The Boats davits all broke coming off the sprues so they'll weld overnight :owww:

It's been a lot of work getting it o this stage - I'm beginning to wonder how much stuff will stay on under the airbrush

DSCF9204

thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 16

6 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

Is it all fixed in place yet?

just asking as I’m imagining the horrors of masking all this intricate detail...

1 hour ago, Michael M said:

It all looks cool Rob, but I second Konrad's question, how are you going  to paint it all if it's glued on ?

Hi guys - The paint scheme suggests that everything was painted Mountbatten pink with the exception of the MS2 hull and aft 2 punder patform.  

That's why I've gone for the complete build - the deck was not painted grey. (Apparently)

I have some wood decking to fit beneath the Fwd 4" gun platform which is not stuck down yet.

The forward railings will stay off until that's done

This remains the Theory :nerd:  As a plan - it;s still possible that it will fail first contact with the enemy :rofl2:

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 2

I made up one 16ft dinghies using the White Ensigns Models etch -but I dont think it olds it's own against the Micromaster offering

DSCF9205

The mast supplied with the kit is actually pretty good, but slightly worried about plastic bending with the rigging, I scratched a new one using a mast from the Master 1/700 set

DSCF9209

Dinghy supports were added , s was a flagstaff from the remnant of the 1/700 mast and the Stbd fwd railings were fixed with out suffering

DSCF9207

DSCF9206

As Beefy accurately pointed out the barrel on the 4 inch gun was slightly droopy.  i have an alternative with a "rounded" shield (versus this "half rounded") which was fine.  I thought I'd try to gently clamp it straight before getting to the hot water stage and then of course knocked clamp and Turret off the table braking the barrel :wall:

25minutes to find the barrel piece then another 20 mins CA gluing it back and good 20 minutes filing it down this morning with the only benefit being that it's ended up straighter :whistle:

DSCF9208

So.......! At last primer

DSCF9212

DSCF9210

Shame really as I was enjoying all that brass :lol:

Lord knows how the se will turn out - a coat of Gloss Medium & Varnish before painting

DSCF9213

Positively lightning progress!!

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 14

That micromaster dinghy is exquisite ...

Good recovery on the dropping barrel, did you operate on it at work 😉

I'm wondering what comes next? First there was PE. Then there was PPE ..........:shrug:

Let the eyes say it

Kev

• Haha 4