Airfix Spitfire XIV

For you delectation and entertainment (if you are old enough to remember the reference) here is one of two Airfix spitfire XIV that I have finished.

With a bit of effort the kit comes up nice.  With this kit I replaced

• the 20mm barrels with some spare Edurard ones I had going unused.
  • The wheels with some resin 4-spoke jobs as these had better detail
  • Eduard seat belts
  • Freightdog decals from the "Brits Abroad" sheet.
  • Drilled out the openings for the two downward facing cameras that could be fitted.

Looking at the photos I see the long range tank is drooping a bit.  It was only held on with blue-tak 😉

Tim

9qAwXAT.jpg

5fh4Gk4.jpg

enmzgnN.jpg

RYtGw4i.jpg

wh1PxqY.jpg

IlgWl60.jpg

p6Mi0O3.jpg

• Like 47

Nice work John 

I have one of these on the go at the moment and with a bit of effort a nice end result can be had. 

Thanks for sharing 

James

Lovely result Tim. I also have one of these on the go at the moment but will probably go for the 'lazy lady v' option. Looks like you got a decent fit on the wing roots and fuel tank cover, I have found these need a bit of work (filler and a slim shim respectively) how did you get on? Either way it's a nice kit and I'll definitely do more in the future 😀 Cheers, Stu

14 hours ago, stoohoo said:

Lovely result Tim. I also have one of these on the go at the moment but will probably go for the 'lazy lady v' option. Looks like you got a decent fit on the wing roots and fuel tank cover, I have found these need a bit of work (filler and a slim shim respectively) how did you get on? Either way it's a nice kit and I'll definitely do more in the future 😀 Cheers, Stu

The fuel tank cover took a bit of bending to get it to the right curvature to fit and the wing roots again took some fettling to fit.  Took a small amount of filler to blend in.

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looks good, where can I see the other one you've done?

Sorry Adam, taken me longer to get the images up that expected.  Try here -

Tim

• Like 1

Looks good in the SEAC scheme.

I remember reading a biography of Ginger Lacey. He was CO of 17 Sqn in India, when bubble top Spits were delivered he said "Take them back & give me something that looks like a Spitfire!"

Pete

• Like 1