The Child - Baby Yoda

Hi Everyone,

I got a request from a colleague to paint her fresly 3D printed Baby Yoda figure. It was a surprise for me that such a 3D model can be downloaded but nowadays everything is possible. So she passed me over the figure which was originally full clean "snow white". Just like a Snowman (with funny ears, obviously) or like a sugarcone, but I liked it.

49638668796_6fcf0db347_o.jpg

When discussing about the paint process "just simply paint it to green and sandbrown please" I pointed out that the 3D printer she used has a low resolution therefore massive sanding and filling will be required to have an acceptable result. And this painting project will be a bit longer than she thought.  Finally we got the deal and I took the figure home.

As a first step, after some 2-3 hours of sanding over the back of Yoda's head, his nose and the letters on the stand, I have applied a full cover of 1500 grade Gunze Black Surfacer / Primer from a rattle can and left it drying for one day. Next morning I checked the result and realised that the figure and letters are still not smooth enough, so it was fully re-primed with 500 Grade Surfacer hand applied and sanded after drying. Finally it looked OK to start the painting process.

49608566303_de46963337_o.jpg

49609351697_990bbd00c0_o.jpg

49609102966_30da4cee13_o.jpg

49609105366_ccf120861f_o.jpg

To get a uniform shade, a new layer of black 1500 grade Surfacer was applied and let dry for a day.

The first colour I used was Mig-023 Protective Green mixed with Mig-247 Hellblau. Highlights were applied using overdiluted Mig-247 Hellblau. After some drying time I enhanced the lower areas of the head and the palms of Yoda’s hands with light layer of Mig-023. Now it looks like a faded crocodile but looks OK to me.

The only thing missing is the diffuse “hair” he has on the head but that is not what I am able to apply.

49638603527_b0e1dd1a69_o.jpg

The back of the head is OK and way more smoother than the original 3D printed surface was.

49637806058_b70a8b9b30_o.jpg

After taking the photos, I have observed some minor holes on the top of the head which will be addressed in the next step – filling-up and some hand painting to complete the head.There are other very structured surfaces all around the figure but as I could not attack them with any sanding stick, I decided to live with these structures. Anyway, Baby Yoda is a strange alien life-form so his skin can be very structured just like a crocodile, cannot be?

49637808678_3441f63503_o.jpg

The plan to follow is to mask off the head and the hands, then paint the haircloth he wears. I will likely paint first the deep shadow using Mig-043 Shadow Rust and than apply the main color using Mig-025 US Moder Vehicles and Mig-027 German Sand Beige (for some specific areas as color variation) and finish the haircloth using Mig-036/037/038 wood colors (highlights). More to come soon!

Tamás

Edited by Agriamodeling
Minor typos
  • Like 9

This week I had a little progress again painting the haircloth of Yoda the Kid.

First I masked all around the head, hands and the base. Than the first layer of deep shadow was applied using Mig-043 Shadow Rust and than the main color using Mig-025 US Modern Vehicles and Mig-027 German Sand Beige (for some specific areas as color variation) and finished the haircloth using Mig-036/037/038 wood colors (highlights).

It sounded more impressing than it came out so at the end I had a big disaster of a very pale, light sandy color with some rusty shades at the main body and light greenish shadows around the head, where the brown-sandy paint layer was too much transparent. Just if the Yoda family would went down to the beach and all kids tumbled in the sand...

After several attempts of try and re-try painting, I finished with a very diluted layer of mixture of Mig-025 and Mig-038. Now the haircloth looks a bit more brown than I imagined, so I will filter it with ochre or tan to get it lighter.

49663009351_95bbb50069_o.jpg

49662477033_a66f59aed9_o.jpg

49663300107_d7ba4c2057_o.jpg

But before the filtering, I still need to spraypaint the base in satin black, also handpaint the eyes black.

That is is plan for next week, at least.

Happy modeling!

Tamás

Edited by Agriamodeling
typos
  • Like 4

Hi,

Having the corona virus all around the world, I have no any commitment or plan to move out (#StayAtHome) on the weekends so I had a good progress on Baby Yoda. I could finish all basic paintings. First I have hand painted the yellow edges of the letters all around the base. The whole sentence is "WHAT YOU SEEK IS SEEKING YOU". Originally I wanted to paint them simple white but finally took the challange to imitate the Star Wars movies main title letter type and painted the edges with Hataka Luminous Yellow (RAL 1026) paint. This was the fisrt time I used Hataka paint and it performed well. Some places I had to apply two layers for the best coverage but basically it is a good paint for handbrush.

Once the first application was finished, I put Yoda aside for some drying and continued one day later to clean up the mismatching lines on the letters. I simply scraped off the uneven sections of the lines or overpainted with Mig Satin Black. I had to paint also the surrounding surfaces of the letters as some places the yellow flew downwards. I am quite satisfied with the result.

When I finished the letters, I turned to the ears. I planned to paint the inner side to a pinky-flesh colour. First I masked all around the head to avoid overspraying and then applied the basic layer with Vallejo Basic Skin color. Then the masking was removed and oversparey the ears with highly diluted Mig-023 Protective Green freely mixed with Mig-247 Hellblau. Finally drybrushed the ear edges with the Protective Green, just to cover some overspraying. The final touch was the underwear (or a shirt?) with Mig-025 US Modern Vehicles paint, using a 10/0 brush; then painted Baby Yoda's fingernails with . Mig-025 US Modern Vehicles paint first and overpainted with some Mig-027 German Sand Beige.

Finally I applied a good layer uising Gunze Super Clear Glossy varnish to protect the basic layers of acryl paints

49682269518_f9a4d941bc_o.jpg

49682805161_2549b32765_o.jpg

Having the clear gloss varnish drying now, I plan to finish the work tomorrow with some black wash for the haircloth deep shadows and some highlights using pigments. And of course, there will be another final matt varnish. But that is another story for tomorrow.

Regards,

Tamás

Edited by Agriamodeling
typos
  • Like 4

Hi for All,

It is the final update of the project - today I could finish Baby Yoda. It was a good fun and good learning in some aspects.

The activities today started with a some touch-up mainly around the eyes as I have seen some black spots which were there indeed. First I thought they were simply some camera issues but not, they really happened to be there. Probably I have removed some paint during the drybushing with basic skin tone right after the pinky flesh colour was applied. I will never know but yes, the touch-up was necessary.

Than I lightly painted the haircoat with Mig filters (tan and sandy brown) which resulted some random variation of the base colour. Now I applied some washes using Mig black, dark green-brown and natural brown. and tried to remove the excess paint but it was probably a bit too soon and some of the filter was also mixed up. Not a big issue this time, but a good learning - always keep the drying time. No hurry.

Now I used the old drybrushing to enhance the highlights and it went quite well.

Once I finished all oil paints (and they dried enough) I applied some light coat of Mig Satin Varhish. This is a new product for me, I picked it during a visit to the modelshop for try and I have to tell, it does do the job. No dilution was needed, I could spraybrush it right from the bottle and it resulted a nice, but somewhat shinier coat than expected. A little bit of dry was needed only and I applied an overall flat coat using Gunze Mr Hobby Flat clear. But as soon as it was dry, I have realised that the head was way too mattish, so another 1-2 coats of the Mig Satin Varnish was needed. The result is now perfectly what I wanted.

As a last step, I handpainted the eyes using Mig transparent red. I wanted to give some depth and interest to the figure - at leat that was my intention. Ehrrr, it resulted a toy-eye like something so painted the eyes again with Mig transparent balck and finally it became great. I got th effect I wanted.

49686489668_29ff9c7513_o.jpg

49687326277_a7f5814981_o.jpg

49687027551_ed7186cb3b_o.jpg

49686496548_0d2324c84a_o.jpg

So it is now officially completed, I hope anyone reading this short project, enjoyed.

Have a great day and take care!

Tamás

Edited by Agriamodeling
removed unnecessary links
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Great job Tamas, is there any chance you could add a paint tin or something to add an idea of the relative scale?

cheers,

Pappy

13 hours ago, Pappy said:

Great job Tamas, is there any chance you could add a paint tin or something to add an idea of the relative scale?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy,

I have already passed Yoda to my colleague, so no more photos possible,but there is one in the buildlog where the figure is placed on top of the regular Tamiya (or Gunze Mr Hobby) acrylic paint bottle. My best guess from the figure height is about 10 cm (or. 4 inches) imcluding the stand with letters on.

i hope this helps.

Cheers and #StayHome

Tamás

13 hours ago, Mr T said:

Very nice work, my 23 year old daughter wants one, although she would like something a little softer

Hi Mr T,

my 22 yrs old one also wants me to make one for her, but as I am working in home office, no chance to 3D print. I will ask the url for the 3D model from my colleague, so you can 3D print it (if you have a printer at home) or ask someone to 3D print.There are surely more versions on the internet with different gestures and poses.

Cheers,

Tamás

• Thanks 1