Eduard 1/144 MiG-15

ArhfnbT.jpg?1 twkY522.jpg

Eduard’s MiG-15 is a “Dual Combo” kit with two kits in the box and markings for no less than six aircraft.

emB6BcK.jpg

The upper half of the airframe comes with the wings already attached complete with the slight anhedral characteristic of the MiG-15. Surface detail is dead sharp and amazingly delicate.

0ikOedC.jpg

The cockpit comes molded as a single tiny piece with a seat, consoles, panel and stick. Nice!

The first step was to attach cockpit to the air intake splitter.

UZXBtR8.jpg

There isn’t much room for ballast to keep the MiGs from being tail-sitters, so I cut a lead fishing weight into tiny bits to pack as much into the available space as possible. I hope it will be enough!

Next came painting the MiG-15s’ plain gray cockpits.

PksWZqE.jpg?1

A highlight here is the Eduard instrument decals. The unbelievably tiny yet perfectly sharp dial detail is absolutely phenomenal!

0eeLgLT.jpg

The panel even includes the vertical white line down the center used to aid MiG pilots in spin recovery maneuvers.

FyTaOaI.jpg

The only changes I made to the kit cockpits were simple replacement wire control columns and seatbelts made from strips of Tamiya tape.

zFmLa1w.jpg

ObpHNTP.jpg

It is almost a shame to install them into the fuselages which obscure much of the minute detail. Almost none of it will be discernable once the canopies are in place – but at least I’ll know it is there!

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 14

Eduard’s fuselage assemblies are an unconventional top/bottom arrangement. Fit is precise.

Ou3Ij9M.jpg

Gentle, low-pressure scrapbooking clamps borrowed from the wife assure a tight fit to minimize seams as the cement dries.

The tail nozzles fit neatly into the assembled fuselage.

UlvIC24.jpg

vLVlQk3.jpg

A measure of Eduard’s commitment to excellence is the detailed engine backs molded about 1/4 inch inside the one-piece tailpipes. They can barely be seen, but they’re in there. Outstanding!

• Like 7

jywvZk9.jpg?1   f8dS7jN.jpg?2

Added to the assembled fuselages, the tailfins and high-mounted stabilizers complete the distinctive MiG-15 airframes.

A6QRrSf.jpg?1

These kits are great to work with. Outlines are dead accurate, and the design and fit tolerances of the parts are so consistently tight that, so far, the models have required no filler at all.

• Like 8

Designed to destroy enemy bombers, the MiG-15 was well armed with two 23mm and one 37mm cannon. Eduard’s renditions of these in 1/144 are impressively petite.

mOkdgZk.jpg

Molded together with their fairings, the guns are sharp and in-scale.

6Jdn1QD.jpg

They fit neatly into slots under the fuselage nose.

zfkgBhP.jpg

The only change I made was to drill out the muzzle ends.

Eduard’s MiG-15 kits also come with a choice of nicely molded underwing fuel tanks.

YR8u873.jpg

These include the early PTB-260 260 liter (69 gallon) slipper tanks and the later PTB-400 400 liter (105 gallon) underwing tanks with fins. There is even the option of PTB-400 underwing tanks mounted to BD3-53 bomb racks – a unique Czechoslovak modification on the fighter-bomber variant of the later MiG-15bis (Fagot-B). Cool.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shashman said:

Awwww, look at his little nose

🤣

Time for decals; I started with the nonslip walkways on the wings.

u2xMKOs.jpg

Eduard provided an amazing six marking options for aircraft from five different countries. And the decals are excellent quality too!

AQK6WSe.jpg

I chose a Chinese and a Soviet aircraft.

Sh5T5ui.jpg

The markings look good, but I found the spartan Soviet set to be a bit plain, so I replaced them with the more colorful ones of a Czechoslovakian aircraft from 1953.

• Like 8

With the addition of the landing gear, the tiny MiG-15s are complete!

3wpkD2h.jpg

NwBKHFk.jpg

PrHfPUq.jpg

8Usdltr.jpg   ZZmWTav.jpg?1

The MiG-15 NO-37 was the mount of Lt. Jaroslav Sramek, 5th Fighter Regiment, Plzen-Line Air Base. On March 10, 1953, Lt. Sramek shot down a USAF F-84 Thunderjet that had intruded into Czech airspace.

I5j5Vvz.jpg

The other MiG-15 is in the livery of the 29th Guards, Dachang Air Base, China. The Soviet 29th Guards Fighter Air regiment fought in Korean War (with Chinese-marked aircraft) from November 1950 to February 1951.

MpNePjF.jpg

70K9UFX.jpg?1    JAZKEn3.jpg?1

ePy48aE.jpg?1

• Like 5