B.F.W. M.20b2 airliner, modified 1/72nd Planet Models resin

IMG_01+%25281280x881%2529.jpg

IMG_02+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_03+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The somewhat stocky yet elegant lines of the B.F.W. M.20b2 passenger planes can now be shown in model form thanks to this kit in resin, released -long ago- by Planet.

The kit has reasonable detail, but still a bit more can be added, and modified to better effect.

Although a convincing replica in general terms, some research flaws on part of Planet show in a few places.

A number of these inaccuracies are described and corrected in the step-by-step building thread that you can see here:

Both decal options are flawed in some regards, as well as several details given for the depicted machines. I had to commission, as it is often the case, my own decal sheet to be able to render an accurate representation of the type. Arctic Decals came once again to the rescue and delivered a great set.

Why many kit manufacturers don't bother in the least to look at photos to check their plans is beyond comprehension to me.

Still, the fit of the kit parts and detail is good and in general I rate this a much better offering than their F.W. 19 Ente that I built a few months ago.

Besides the need to check references to correct the above-mentioned inaccuracies, the build went on quite pleasantly.

Many thanks to @CarLos for the help with research.

The machine represented here, an ex Lufthansa plane, went to Varig in Brazil in 1937. It served there until well after WW2, ending its long career in the scrap yard.

I posted in the building thread an interesting article that I found on the Net (translated from Portuguese) narrating the final days and adventures of PP-VKA.

I had fun building this one, in spite again of the necessary corrective research and the bit of extra work needed to obtain an accurate replica, but nothing insurmountable or too laborious.

I only wish manufacturers would be better checking those plans. The fact that something has a plan, doesn't mean you can blindly follow it.

However, in the end, we do have a BFW M.20, a handsome plane from the 30s for which I thank Planet, and also other manufacturers that venture into these less common regions of aviation, for the happiness of the ones among us that like them and understand and appreaciate their historical, symbolic and aesthetic value.

IMG_04+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

IMG_8833+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_8835+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I'm amazed! Curtains in the windows! That's talent, my friend.

And what about toilet roll in the restroom, uh? :rofl:

IMG_8506+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

48 minutes ago, Herb said:

Just lovely. Thanks again.

Thanks, Herb!

9 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Brilliant modelling and presentation !

Wulfman

Thanks, Wulfman!

4 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

Moa you’ve done it again another magnificent model backed up with superb photography 👏👏👏

You are too kind, thanks.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, theskits62 said:

Another beauty !

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, jeaton01 said:

This one has an elegant wing shape, must have been a good high altitude performer

The highest here was close to the ceiling (avoiding the light fixtures), I would say about 2 meters.

It was a smooth flight, followed by a three-point landing at the desk, with a run that ended just before the superglue flask, aside the Tupperware hangar.

• Haha 2

Beautiful as usual Moa! A lovely looking design with a kind of efficient grace about it. Looks very much like the models I used to see in my Dad's 1940's Aeromodeller magazines - I guess it would have been a stable flyer. Great WIP as well - shows your attention to detail as well as useful techniques.

Bet you wouldn't have taken so many pictures when we had to use film!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baldy said:

Beautiful as usual Moa! A lovely looking design with a kind of efficient grace about it. Looks very much like the models I used to see in my Dad's 1940's Aeromodeller magazines - I guess it would have been a stable flyer. Great WIP as well - shows your attention to detail as well as useful techniques.

Bet you wouldn't have taken so many pictures when we had to use film!

Cheers

Malcolm

Indeed the reminiscence is spot-on.

When you had film here, back in the old country we had stone engraving. It was hard work to document the builds.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Another Magnificent Model from the Wizard of the West Coast!

You are too generous, sir.

Still, for all the kind titles you have -undeservedly- bestowed upon me over time, my wife remains unmoved, and just points to the trash cans that need to be taken out today.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Moa said:

Thanks, Chris.

One could perhaps say a 30's German beauty, of somewhat stiff, ample and firm hips (no disrespect intended).

The aircraft itself might not be classed as a beauty, but your build and photography certainly make it so.

Chris

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

You are too generous, sir.

Still, for all the kind titles you have -undeservedly- bestowed upon me over time, my wife remains unmoved, and just points to the trash cans that need to be taken out today.

Yes, our wives have a way of talking us back down to earth. Keeps us undeservedly humble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1