Smooth winged Hunter! Airfix 1/48 Hunter F.4

9 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Correct. There are deep grooves on the inside surfaces where the cuts are required. The replacement parts are on a separate sprue with I presume the small bore exhaust.

Trevor

That's a bit of a disappointment. Oh well it will give some less experienced modellers their first taste of modifying a kit I suppose. The up side is that anyone buying this kit has the option to build any of the single seaters up to the F.6.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 7:57 AM, Duncan B said:

Am I reading this correctly? You have to cut the wings to change the parts to the earlier smooth L/E? So I am guessing that Airfix haven't moulded a new wing or engineered it so that the L/E was separate? Hmm.

Duncan B

Yep.  A couple of minutes work with a SHARP blade to remove each section.  Then attach the new straight leading edges.  When dry I layed strips of masking tape close alongside each side of the joins, applied filler, removed tape leaving a nice straight filled line & then sanded.  Looks good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2020 at 12:57 AM, Duncan B said:

Am I reading this correctly? You have to cut the wings to change the parts to the earlier smooth L/E? So I am guessing that Airfix haven't moulded a new wing or engineered it so that the L/E was separate? Hmm.

Duncan B

Yup. The new leading edges are on the outboard panels of the wings. This was pretty evident I. The F.6 release, as the cutaway lines were already molded in. 

• Like 1

Great build.

I've just started one of these although I'm using all the GA.11 bits in the box, with aftermarket decals, to produce a FRADU jet so I don't need to worry too much about the straight wing modification. I must say that I am very impressed with the fit of parts...I've complicated things a little by using the Aires resin/photoetched 'pit but this almost drops in anyway and the rest of the kit really falls together.....I was a bit concerned with the rather complicated intake/wing arrangement but no worries so far - superb job from Airfix.

Anyway, well done Sir !

• Thanks 1