Smooth winged Hunter! Airfix 1/48 Hunter F.4

6 hours ago, Shashman said:

Very clean paint work, nice job.

What highlighting technique did you use for the green?

Added some black to my dark green and post shaded. 👍🏼

• Like 1

Nice build.  Is it just me though?  The more I look at the Airfix Hunter (& I have an F6 on the shelf), the nose/front canopy area just look, well, wrong.  Especially compared to the Academy Hunter (also one on the shelf), which looks just right!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Nice build.  Is it just me though?  The more I look at the Airfix Hunter (& I have an F6 on the shelf), the nose/front canopy area just look, well, wrong.  Especially compared to the Academy Hunter (also one on the shelf), which looks just right!

It’s you: the Academy Hunter is dimensionally inaccurate in a number of areas, not least the canopy and windscreen shapes to the extent that all of my Academy Hunters have been built using the now long out of production Aeroclub upgrade sets.  That said, no kit is 100% accurate, not even those from the much-vaunted Tamiya.

• Like 2

My come at about this kit are nondoffeeent from the F.6, really. Except for the leading edge. It does take some work. It’s not a drop in, but that does somewhat depend on the cut you make. Even a perfect cut out will still take a little work. But nothing most of can’t handle. I did have to add thin shims to it, and it turned out alright. 

23 hours ago, Habu12 said:

My come at about this kit are nondoffeeent from the F.6, really. Except for the leading edge. It does take some work. It’s not a drop in, but that does somewhat depend on the cut you make. Even a perfect cut out will still take a little work. But nothing most of can’t handle. I did have to add thin shims to it, and it turned out alright. 

I've deviated from the instructions here by cutting the wings as required but adding each of the four replacement leading edge halves to the SEPARATE upper & lower wings (rather than assembling the replacement leading edges & adding them to assembled wings).  Suspected I'll get a better, trouble free fit.  Time will tell in a few days when I continue the build!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I've deviated from the instructions here by cutting the wings as required but adding each of the four replacement leading edge halves to the SEPARATE upper & lower wings (rather than assembling the replacement leading edges & adding them to assembled wings).  Suspected I'll get a better, trouble free fit.  Time will tell in a few days when I continue the build!

Let us know how it goes I'm at that stage myself

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham T said:

Am I reading this correctly? You have to cut the wings to change the parts to the earlier smooth L/E? So I am guessing that Airfix haven't moulded a new wing or engineered it so that the L/E was separate? Hmm.

Duncan B

1 minute ago, Duncan B said:

Am I reading this correctly? You have to cut the wings to change the parts to the earlier smooth L/E? So I am guessing that Airfix haven't moulded a new wing or engineered it so that the L/E was separate? Hmm.

Duncan B

Correct. There are deep grooves on the inside surfaces where the cuts are required. The replacement parts are on a separate sprue with I presume the small bore exhaust.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Sad 1