SUU-23/A Gun pod

TBP1538

Hello all,

I'm building a Phantom FGR.2 in the grey/green scheme. I would like to fit it with the SUU-23 gun pod, but my search for references is coming up a bit short... would anyone be able to point me toward some reference photos that show the details and markings? Also, the pods of that timeframe appears to be a dark green. Any suggestions as to which shade of green?

Thanks!

The green was the same dark green as used on the main camouflage. It could be either matt finish, or there was a rare example still with a gloss finish.

Only pictures I can find on a quick search are :-

https://piqtured.photoshelter.com/image/I0000R9CEVxGpHzU

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/raf-f4-phantom.21089/

https://www.squadronprints.com/item/1169/Phantom-FGR2.html

Rob.

• Like 2

As I remember during my time at Bruggen ( 1971 - 74 )  our gun pods painted a brown shade of olive drab and not dark green. I have a photo which shows the markings and colouring, so if you PM me I'll email it back to you.

My email : [email protected]

• Like 2

Regarding the gun pod colour, as I remember them during my time as an armourer on 17 Squadron they were painted olive drab, and not  dark green.

The article states that they could have possibly been FS34079, but if you look at page 85 of that book there's a superb underside shot of a 6 Squadron FGR 2 with gun pod, and it clearly looks like olive drab, or something very similar,   HTH:cheers:

PS : Someone will come along with a pic of a pod painted dark green, you wait and see !  😁

Edited by Starfighter
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Regarding the gun pod colour, as I remember them during my time as an armourer on 17 Squadron they were painted olive drab, and not  dark green.

The article states that they could have possibly been FS34079, but if you look at page 85 of that book there's a superb underside shot of a 6 Squadron FGR 2 with gun pod, and it clearly looks like olive drab, or something very similar,   HTH:cheers:

PS : Someone will come along with a pic of a pod painted dark green, you wait and see !  😁

I was on 31 Sqn 75-76 and also remember that the SUU-23A used to be heavily stained in the area of the underside forward auxiliary engine doors. They were probably painted FS34079 but didn't stay that colour for very long,.... 🤣

XVTonker  :pilot:

• Haha 1

An olive brown on a US supplied pod usually points to the standard FS 34087/34088 (same paint, different numbers) as used by the USAF on the same pods.

I've checked a few pictures of the pod in British use and IMHO it was indeed in this colour

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Slight thread hijack (apologies :whistle:) but I'm doing the Airfix Phantom FGR.2 in the later 3-tone grey scheme.

The instructions call for the main body of the SUU-23A to be Light Aircraft Grey, and the front end and cannon barrels to be gun metal. From photos, it looks more like the front end and barrels too(?) were painted black - which is correct?

Ta

Simon