-SUKHOI Su 17M3 - KITTY HAWK - 1/48 SCALE

- After some troubles with the banana belly of CWS for which I'm the only guilty, I've discovered a not that easy kit to built mostly because an approximate notice around the main wheel doors for instance or some wrong features for the chosen version this is  at las my fitter finished......

WHWbVT.jpg

mnGwRg.jpg

MVaBxr.jpg

yF0BTo.jpg

Y7pSfx.jpg

PasNBP.jpg

1uA5il.jpg

MNBoci.jpg

• Like 40

6 minutes ago, whiskey said:

I like the pale type of colors chosen. Very cool.

- I've tried to depict a very weathered Fitter under the difficult climate of Afghanistan after some period of duty there

• Like 3

Lovely Fitter. I have 4 (2x Kitty Hawk, 2x Hobby Boss) waiting for their turn. As you said, the KH kit is not an easy build (the HB kit is a breeze in comparison) but this doesn't really show on your finished example :goodjob:

Markus

• Thanks 1

Wow!!

That turned out very realistic! Rvrm the intake pressure relieve aux intakes sit correctly for am M3! Impressive to say the least!

The red stars and Afghan recce loadout  fit her well I think!

:thumbsup:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your model looks very good. The well used look is quite convincing. A difficult kit finished very nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- I've tried to depict a very weathered Fitter under the difficult climate of Afghanistan after some period of duty there

I'd say you've nailed it IPMS!   I love the look you've achieved here.  Very nice indeed sir! :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

My favorite Soviet airplane. What a lovely model. What exactly was wrong with the wheel well? I don't quite understand your first post.

-The wheel well was not a real problem , only main wheel doors required some guess work to install them correctly, I had to study photo of the real thing to have some idea of how to install them with  an approximate succès for me.

-The real problem I'm speaking of in my first post is when wanted to install the CWS banana shaped resin belly it appear that I had removed the upper part of the left fuselage halve instead of the lower part..(don't ask me why).......Happily the removed part was not too much damaged thanks to the use of circular dremel saw it has been possible fit it with some plastic strips and putty and rescribing.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad to hear it. I have read so many poor reviews of this kit, but to hear people like you, who actually built it, say that it isn't that problematic, is reassuring. The Fitter is one of my favorite aircraft. I have some Modelsvit kits in 1/72, but this is one of those that might be nice to have a larger scale center-piece.. 

8 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I'm glad to hear it. I have read so many poor reviews of this kit, but to hear people like you, who actually built it, say that it isn't that problematic, is reassuring. The Fitter is one of my favorite aircraft. I have some Modelsvit kits in 1/72, but this is one of those that might be nice to have a larger scale center-piece.. 

- Generally speaking, the kit itself is not that bad, you can be built as it is out of the box and being very convincing.

- Most of the mistakes are from details more or less visible or easy to correct like wrong engraved panels, some subtile shape of the curved belly and its engraved panels or the oval shape of the circular valves openning  under the rear  fuselage. The most visible mistake for the purists, could be the shape of the rear fuselage which is different for an u 17/22M3 and Su 17/22M4 owing to a different engine. This requires  a replacement of the whole rear fuselage by a same size part coming from a Su-7 as it has been done by a modeller seen on a forum to have a correct look of this part of the machine.but it is an heavy surgery. New rear spare fuselage halves should be the solution.

- Other mistakes are conceptual, like the weapon pylons too broad for the wing support pylons and in insufficient number or the drop tanks a bit too small in length or the instruction notice being not that precise asking for some guess work to set some parts in their right place..

-But all in all, it is not the worse kit I met, if some one has more idea to add or to rectify this advice on the subject it will be welcome to give this kit a better approach;

• Like 1