1/48th AMK F-14D Tomcat

I think a lot of this has to do with new technology in CAD design and CAM moldmaking. Add in the slide mold technology and the parts fit too tightly. On my model, everything dry fit perfectly until I started to paint and assemble it.  If I ever build another, which is not likely, I would completely assemble the wheel wells, intakes, and shock ramps on the model before painting. 

Edited by Bravo52
  • Like 1

Bravo I think you’re on to something. The part fit is so perfect until anything is done to them, and then there’s no tolerance to account for that. From what I’ve seen this is a small issue on some of the newer Eduard kits, as well. 

Peter, it’s looking good from my seat. Glad to see you’re persistent with it... not that any of us have anything better to do!😷

• Like 1

Ok - next update - first slotted everything together to get an impression of what it will look like

P1000828.JPG

P1000829.JPG

Masked off the fuselage

P1000831.JPG

P1000831.JPG

Then making up the pylons. This is where this kit goes downhill quite rapidly. The pylons are not moulded as well as the rest, it looks like they haven't really been finished off. As example the panel lines have burr's next to them, and they all needed filling on the edges.

Coupled with this the instructions are pretty poor , they aren't clear especially when variants are required. For example I want to build with the LANTIRN pod, which requires a different mount for the wing glove pylon.

P1000830.JPG 

Then sprayed the primer - first all of the separate parts 

P1000833.JPG

Then the main fuselage

P1000834.JPG

P1000835.JPG

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today's work - lots of salt weathering, and spraying details.

P1000843.JPG

P1000844.JPG

P1000845.JPG

P1000846.JPG

Then a gloss coat over the top - something odd happened with the gloss coat, seems to have reacted in some places with the paint but i'll sort that out later.

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, I have been looking at this kit for a while now, and I have got to say it`s a pretty comprehensive package.

I have found with the Tamiya F 16 I am building that the dry fit is spot on but painted is another story.

She looks good sir, I cannot say what the paint problem is, I try to keep to the same brands where I can.

Simon.

PS, I like the cluttered bench, looks business like.

Peter, that’s really strange. What primer, paint, and clear coat combo did you use? Any effect on the primer below, or just the main paint?

It’s looking great, otherwise!

44 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Peter, that’s really strange. What primer, paint, and clear coat combo did you use? Any effect on the primer below, or just the main paint?

It’s looking great, otherwise!

Styrenex Primer, Mr Color Laquers, then AK Gauzy agent clear coat before the salt chipping, then washed. then AK Gauzy Agent, then decals. With around a week between coats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought MY workbench was cluttered! :surprised:

Anjoying the build so far, I want to build a 1/48 Tomcat at some point so I'm interested to see how this version stacks up. Hope you get the paint problems sorted.

Hi peter, i think i have seen it before when the salt is not completely removed. It might be the left over salt residue that reacts with the clear coat...problem is now that you can't do a lot about that anymore. 😢

• 2 weeks later...

I was having just this conversation just the other night with a friend who has similar problems with the salt not coming off completely.

The answer was simply to wash it several times in warm water with a little detergent. Every day for a five days and then when repainted the salt did not bleed through.

Your doing a great job on a good kit, I continue to enjoy your build log, well done.