1/48th AMK F-14D Tomcat

Started the AMK F-14D Tomcat, which so far is really nice once you find the sprue within the mass of plastic.

P1000798.JPG

Work starts with the Ejector Seats, which are among the nicest kit seats i have seen. I have added the Eduard Zoom steel belts, as the kit hasn't got any.

P1000799.JPG

P1000800.JPG

Peter

• Like 8

A really nice start, Peter. I've had 2 of these on pre-order with Hannants for nearly 3 years and they've just arrived, so I'll be following this with interest!

Configuration will probably be one on the ground with everything hanging out and the other kneeling ready for launch.

Really tricky to decide on the schemes, but at this point I'm thinking Grim Reapers (can't resist the shark's mouth) and Bounty Hunters.  

Regarding loadout, really not decided on that yet!

Edited by t15dja

Hi Peter,

this must be the most talked about kit in modelling history so I'm quite interested how it builds. The "ready for launch" position sure looks impressive so do you intend to build a (partial) carrier deck too?

Markus

The ejection seats are incredible. This is a build I definitely want to follow 'cause I want to see what you do with the instrument panels and consoles. I'm still trying to master such things and progress is slow.

Today's work painting the cockpit. The kit does give some nice decals for the instruments, but i prefer painting.

P1000801.JPG

P1000802.JPG

P1000803.JPG

P1000804.JPG

P1000805.JPG

Oh by the way - don't do it this way, and build it up. I've had to remove a couple of parts so that it will slide into the nose later. 

Peter

• Like 11

Supposed to be on holiday this week, but that's off, so more shed time

Mostly fettling around to work around my deviating from the instructions, but i've got it back on track. The single piece nose section is very cunning and the cockpit does 'click' into place and lock. The seats and the back bulkhead aren't fixed yet.

P1000806.JPG

P1000807.JPG

P1000808.JPG

Peter

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done today got the intakes finished

P1000815.JPG

P1000816.JPG

P1000817.JPG

Bit odd this -  the port side fit perfectly, but the starboard was a royal pain. The intake ramps are the main problem - there's not a lot to align them with, but if they are out even slightly they won't fit. Had to resort to using CA to gradually persuade it into place.

Peter

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Vitaliy said:

Hi :)

Peter tell me please , what colour you use at nozzle ?

Thx :)

The nozzles had a base coat of Gunze Burnt Iron, then were detail sprayed with Alclads - From Memory, Jet Exhaust, Burnt Iron, Pale Burnt Metal, Hotmetal Sepia and Smoke. 

Finally finished with some oils - Ammo Starship Filth, and Black

HTH

Peter

• Like 1

I really like the paintwork you did on the cockpit.  The result is an impressive result without any aftermarket additions.

This is >>NOT<< meant a criticism.  I don't know if the instructions didn't make it clear, but the seat with the "big" canopy breakers (they look like horns on the headrest) is the pilot's seat.  The seat with the "small" canopy breakers is for the RIO.

I'm eagerly following your build.  It has been informative and impressive so far. 

Took a day off today, so got some more done, and the most disappointing bits of this kit so far. 

The top fuselage took a lot of persuasion to fit, as the wheel wells are slightly too tall

P1000819.JPG

Then adding the nose, there is again significant gaps - Think it's because the top section had a twist on it, but when you fix one side, the other side would pop out. So out with the filler and i foresee a lot of sanding and rescribing. I don't know if this is a one off - but it looks like it.

P1000820.JPG

P1000821.JPG

P1000822.JPG

P1000823.JPG

Peter  

• Sad 1