Vostok 1 Rocket - 1:144 Hobby Park- First completed build

Hey modellers!

This is my Vostok 8K72K rocket, in launch pose for the Vostok 1 mission; ready to take Yuri Gagarin (and humanity) into orbit for the first time!

spacer.png

I built the kit as it comes out of the box. There's a huge debate online about whether the early Soviet rockets were grey or green; not helped by dodgy Soviet film-stock of the time! It seems the consensus is that it was a dark grey colour so I painted the main body of the rocket using Humbrol Sea Grey (spray can). There's a bit of metalcote Aluminium for the engine bells and the bottom of the boosters (might not be super accurate but I had it laying around from a previous ill-fated attempt at a MiG-15 build) and some Tamiya Fire Red. I used Tamiya Snow Stick on the boosters to represent icing from the cryogenic propellants in the tanks. There are a few examples of this kit (or similar Vostok 1 kits) where the icing is painted on with a harsh edge; this doesn't match the reference photos I managed to accumulate and wanted to try something slightly different. I'm not 100% happy with the final finish but it is growing on me. I think I got used to seeing the (relatively) neatly painted boosters and applying the layer of white gunk was a bit of a shock. I added some Tamiya semi-gloss clear coat to finish the rocket.

spacer.png

This is the Hobby Park boxing of the oldschool Apex kit in 1:144. Same tool as the AER, Eastern Express & Parc Models kits. I picked it up on eBay pretty cheap from Eastern Europe. The kit was pretty decent but the plastic definitely felt past its best; some of it was extremely brittle. The fencing that connects the third stage to the rest of the rocket is super thin and really loved snapping as it bent into the circular shape. The third-stage is a little lop-sided as a result. I might look at re-seating it on top of the fencing but I don't want to exacerbate the issue.

This is my first completed model since I was a kid. There’s a lot that could be improved but I’m pretty happy overall. I'm planning two more rockets to sit alongside it to represent space flight through history: next up is the Airfix 1/144 Saturn V then hopefully a 1/144 Buzz Space Models SpaceX Falcon 9. I've started on the Airfix Saturn and it is overwhelmingly huge. Here's a photo of the completed Vostok sitting alongside a partially assembled Saturn (that's not even its full height!):

spacer.png

Edited by dmf
  • Like 12

You may not be 100% happy but it looks pretty good to me. Certainly more realistic than many.

The one thing that your comparison shows is the vast increase in fuel needed for a three man/three part craft to achieve escape velocity 40 320 km/hr compared to Gagarin's orbital velocity of about 27 360 km/hr for a much smaller one man vehicle.

If you want to look ahead a Mars trip would need an escape velocity of about 50 922 km/hr and a bigger vehicle set for the very long transit time :D

I think your frosting technique has worked fine. I may borrow it for a future project.

The size differential between the R7 and the Saturn V is dramatic isn't it. I have a similar pair sitting in my "rocket garden" and it always amazes people when I show it to them.