Japanese biplane interior color, early 1930’s

Geoff King

Good day! I picked up a couple of the new A.B.&K. Models kit of the A2N3, and what a beauty it is! While looking over the paint instructions, I noted they call for the entire interior to be painted metallic blue/green, as one would have seen on later aircraft wheel wells and panel interiors. This struck me as somewhat odd, considering most of the aircraft is fabric covered. My thinking is, would the interior fabric areas have been silver grey, similar to the exterior, with only the aluminum/metal areas painted blue/green? Or would the metal areas have been painted black, as the blue/green may not have been used yet? 

I’ve looked through Ian K. Baker’s Aircraft Colouring book #36, Japanese Navy Aircraft, but it begins around 1937 and I believe this aircraft was used in the early 1930’s. He does mention that Nakajima used a light green for their interior color, but again that may have been started with closed cockpit all metal fighters. I’m not saying A.B.&K. are wrong, I’m just wondering if there are any other thoughts out there about this that might be different!

Thanks for any input!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

As Mike says, Nick Millman is the best source. You can write him on his website; he's very helpful.

Here is some indication of earlier interior colours for IJN aircraft - not exactly the time frame we are speaking about but it gives an indication that not everything internal was painted in Aotake. For cockpits it would actually be unusual.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/04/aichi-e13-jake-interior-colour.html

Cheers, Michael

I've just emailed Nick asking his opinion on the interior colour.  

Finemolds released a 1/72 A2N1 back in 2001, and their instructions also suggest either tan or metallic  blue green.  So in the meantime, can either wait for a response, or see what other more recent reviews say about the interiors.

10017557z.jpg

regards,

Jack

Very good thanks for the insight gents! I did check j-aircraft website but didn’t find anything specific about early biplane interiors. I’m not in any huge rush so I’ll sit tight and see what info may get posted here. I have a slew of other projects waiting to be finished!

Geoff

Right, so what I have to share is pretty much speculation, concerning both color and physical construction - as these early Nakajima biplanes have very little info out there.

It's possible aotake was applied to cockpit interiors, as this did happen with Japan's Army aircraft of the same period. 

-------

I have been thinking further about the construction, and it could be the fabric areas could be denoted by the corrugated look on the exterior.  So for the fuselage this would be only the rear area, similar in idea to the Hurricane fighter?

10673209z2.jpg

regards,

Jack