Reggiane Re.2000 / Heja I

I got the Italeri kit, not knowing that it was just the old Supermodel kit with some recessed panel lines; a bit disappointing. Maybe I should have gone for that Sword mega-box, but what on Earth am I going to do with 6 Reggianes? The 2001 is nice , but.. *mope-mope-mope*

Anyways; onward.
So I saw this neat trick on how to apply mottle camo with chalk powder. I forgot who posted those models here, but; big thanks! Made me very happy with the results, hope you like it too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,
Luka

Edited by Luka
syntax
  • Like 27

That might have been me that posted the powdered chalk article. I found it a number of years ago on the 72nd Aircraft forum.

Your Heja looks great! Hey, that kit could have been worse. It could have been the old Supermodel kit, which in reality isn't too bad. I have one of each, plus a Special Hobby Heja.

Chris

• Like 1

Excellent job on the Heja! I have the Special Hobby one, which I'm working on. Not a bad little kit, although they went a bit overboard on the PE and resin details (which of course some people like - I'm more of a 'just keep it in polystyrene, please' sort). I'm actually going to try some mottle decals for mine - we'll see how that goes.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

If you do go the powdered pastel route, here's that article again:

Bert's Italian Camo 
Using Pastels

After the base coat of sand is airbrushed and flat coated (I use Testors Dullcoat), I take an Xacto blade and lightly scrape along the pastel stick until I have a small mound of powder. Pastels come in dozens and dozens of colors. But, you can actually mix shades of pastels to achieve the correct color needed. When that's done I use a small brush to apply the pastels. You need to cut off almost all the bristles until you end up with barely anything remaining. The end of the bristles should be flattened like a stippling brush used for stencils. Dab it into the pastel powder and apply to the model using a dabbing motion until you build up the color. I usually apply quite a few "spots" at a time and then use another larger and softer bristle brush cut the same way to soften and blend them. 

Then I repeat this process over and over again until it's all done. I use white cotton Photographers gloves while doing this to keep the model free of oily fingerprints in the areas yet to be done. When finished, I seal them with Testors Dullcoat, spraying slightly away from the model at first, and then applying a heavier coat. It takes me several sessions over a few days to complete the task. Believe me, after a while you will need to take a break.

It just so happened I had acquired a very large number of different colored pastels along the way. I'm not sure how I came upon this idea. Maybe out of necessity, because airbrushing this type of camouflage is beyond my scope of talent. Especially, since I use a single action airbrush. I never got the hang of the double action. I also use this technique on Luftwaffe mottled camouflage.

I've been using this method for years now. Like everything else about modeling, I've gotten better using this method over time. Some of my earlier work is less convincing. So, if you give it a try, don't be disappointed at first if things don't turn out the way you want. It will take some practice. After dull coating, I continue building just as if I was using paint. This only works using darker colored pastels over a lighter base color, not the other way around!

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well, you can definitely be happy with the result. I've heared about the method using pastel powder to create mottle camo but never actually tried it. Based on your results I will for sure test it now.

Markus

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments all!

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Hey, that kit could have been worse. It could have been the old Supermodel kit, which in reality isn't too bad.

I have to admit, once I got past correcting some of the areas that Italeri missed with their upgrade I did start to like it more. I guess I was a bit peeved at it being reviewed as a new mould, at the same level of Italeri's CR.42. But I'm glad it escaped the dreaded shelf of doom (or rather; some dark box in the back of the stash closet).

2 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

I've heared about the method using pastel powder to create mottle camo but never actually tried it. Based on your results I will for sure test it now.

Thanks! I have recorded the process and will upload that onto my channel soon in case you're interested.

Cheers,
Luka

• Like 1

On 07/03/2020 at 23:45, dogsbody said:

This camo method was first posted on the 72nd Aircraft forum in 2013. To see a few pictures of Bert's work, go here, then scroll about halfway down.

Bert Reynaud, yes I found his work on chalk camo some time ago here, There was also a post not long ago here on BM with several other Luftwaffe models, but I couldn't find that one (my BM search-fu is weak).

• Like 1

Nice job Luka. I'm honored to see someone using my chalk pastel camo method. Glad you found it of some use. Hoping to see more!

I did post some more here awhile ago. I used photobucket and they blurred my images, so I found another hosting site and re-posted some of them in the same thread. I believe in was in the WW2 1/72 aircraft model forum.

-Bert

• Like 2

On 10/03/2020 at 06:47, Bert said:

Nice job Luka. I'm honored to see someone using my chalk pastel camo method. Glad you found it of some use. Hoping to see more!

I did post some more here awhile ago. I used photobucket and they blurred my images, so I found another hosting site and re-posted some of them in the same thread. I believe in was in the WW2 1/72 aircraft model forum.

-Bert

And thank you for sharing first! I really hope this method will gain some more popularity among modelers as it's actually quite easy to get such a nice effect.